Author Topic: Are Mormons allowed to drink milk? - A SNL question  (Read 8573 times)

AngelicGamer

Are Mormons allowed to drink milk? - A SNL question
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:26:54 PM »
First off - this question is due to SNL.  It has nothing to do with politics or religion.  It's just a question so I can understand a joke the show did.

I watched the cold opening (the first sketch before they go into the credits) and it had Mitt Romney drinking milk in secret.  I haven't found anything online about Mormons not being allowed to drink milk, so could someone fill me in on this?

Thank you!

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

jmarvellous

Re: Are Mormons allowed to drink milk? - A SNL question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:34:36 PM »
It was a play on their prohibition (or avoidance) of alcohol and some other beverages. It's not based on a ban on milk.

CLD

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »
Yes,  Mormons can milk.   I think it also plays on the fact that through all this nasty campaign,  no one found any dirty secrets about Romney.  You can disagree with his policies or dislike his changing of position, but his personal life is straighforward enough that his only vice must be as innocuous as milk.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »
Oh!  Now I get it.  It was looking me right in the face and I missed it.  Thank you!

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:02:25 PM »
Wonder if Adrian Monk in the detective series Monk was Mormon? 
 ::) :P ::)

lol, he was afraid of milk!!

(I know, I am stretching the joke to beyond the breaking point)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

PeterM

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:26:00 AM »
I wondered if they were originally going to have it be beer or caffeinated soda but changed their minds. They went with a sound effect from opening a beer/soda can when he cracked open at least one of the milk cartons.

I really liked that skit. It didn't strike me as mean-spirited at all, just a playful ribbing. Except maybe throwing Karl Rove off the balcony, I suppose, but eh.

ETA: My wife wonders if it's meant as a swan song for Jason Sudekis. I thought I'd heard he was going to leave after the last season, along with Kristen Wig and Andy Samberg, and we were wondering if he stuck around specifically because they needed a Romney. And now they don't need a Romney.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:28:43 AM by PeterM »

Jones

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
It actually was a cute skit, IMO. I interpreted it as "he's not going against his religion and hitting the hard stuff, even when he's hitting the hard stuff." That bit where "Mitt" kissed "Ann" on the cheek and she got all blushy was funny too; they have enough kids they've obviously done more than cheek kisses.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »
The Mormons have a website and if you're curious about their rules, check it out.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.