Author Topic: Preventing the unexpected "drop by"....  (Read 7841 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
Re: Preventing the unexpected "drop by"....
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
Why not simply state the truth in no uncertain terms?

"We are so glad you live close enough to visit, but I have to say, in all honesty, I really don't care for drop in guests.  Just give me a buzz if you want to visit and if I'm home and available we will set it up!"

My DH only had to say this to his extended family once when we moved to their city.  No problems - ever. But he changed it to "Jo doesn't care for" - instead of the "I" statements I have there for the OP. 

I should also note that I live next door to MIL, and she has a key, and has never used it for anything other than letting the dog out.  We also call each other before we go to each other's houses.  (We built our homes next door to each other.  When MIL found a lot she liked she called me and said, "Jo? We found a lot we like...but it's right next door to you.  Is that OK?"  I replied with, "Mind your own business and call before you come over.  I'll do the same and we will get along just fine.".  14 years later - still working just fine.)

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Bluenomi

Re: Preventing the unexpected "drop by"....
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »
DH and I were having a 'discussion' about this issue with MIL and BIL recently. They both believe family can drop in announced whenever they like. DH and I think you should always ring first. DH and I are both glad MIL and BIL live 1000km away so can't just drop in on us  ::)

Just tell people to give you a quick call before coming over to make sure you are home. Phrase it so it's like it is saving them trouble if they do since they won't go all that way and find you aren't there.