A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

What are you doing to get ready for the holidays?

(1/7) > >>

Bijou:
I usually don't look forward to the holidays.  I want to be different this year (I think I said that last year, too and it didn't work.   :P)
Anyway, I have decided not to sneer at the stores for having their seasonal stuff up too early, and today I bought a pretty little Christmas mug.  I'll be digging out the Christmas CD's and am looking for a Christmas table cloth.  I want one with red poinsettias on it.
I'll be doing some ornaments, too, and maybe cards.  I think I say that every year, too, don't I?  One thing I definitely will not do is bake cookies.  I'll just make a piece of cinnamon toast for the fragrance.

magician5:
With all the election noise in the news, I lost track of the time, and the season seems to have crept up on me.

Never fear, my wife starts knitting and buying gifts for next year as soon as the previous holiday season is over. And somehow, this year, I got the most incredible (but affordable) gift ideas for her that I've ever had - she's gonna love this stuff!

May I throw out a suggestion to those with simple Photoshop skills? Some months ago, Zazzle introduced a line of "custom gift boxes". They're lovely rich-looking wood, nicely lined, and the top frames a nice tile on which they will print any design you want. I found a cute photo of a sheep with a lamb and added "Happy Birthday to EWE" and gave it to my wife as a jewelry box, and she adored it. You can make your own design online on Zazzle's site. The largest is around $30, smaller ones less. I caught one of their regular sales and had a great unique gift for a great price!

CakeEater:
I love Christmas carols. I'd listen to them all year, but I restrict myself until November, so I'm getting in the spirit that way. And DD is in a serious gluing phase, so I'm getting her to glue shiiny paper on cards for our Christmas cards.

I'm 3/4 done buying gifts (I don't buy many). And I'm planning treats to cook later in my head. The planning is in my head, not the cooking.

I seriously walked past a Christmas display in the shops here in August. Not even mid August, but early August. I'm all in favour of doing Christmassy things, but August is a bit much.

BabyMama:
I'm going to be following this thread closely, because I'm having a really hard time getting motivated this year. This time of year used to be my favorite, but it seems like some of the magic has worn off. I used to love love love T-day, but this year we're going to DH's family's, which I dislike simply because food is not important to them so the meal is just too ordinary for me. I've been thinking about having a meal for just our small family, but I just can't decide if it's worth it. Plus, I've got a shower to bake for this Thursday, DD's preschool is having a fundraiser this Saturday so I need to bake for that, our workplace is having a bake sale next Tuesday, and I need to bake something for DH's family's T-day. I'm tired already and haven't baked a thing yet :(

I want to start decorating but it seems like we don't have room anywhere for our trees. Sigh.

siamesecat2965:
For the second year in a row, I'm staying home for Thanksgiving. I am having one or two friends, so I'm cooking a small meal. Looking forward to that.

For the first time in 5 years (since my dad passed away on Christmas Day) I actually feel a little excited about the holiday. Before it was just ho hum, but I bought a few things; a bit sparkly red and gold bow to put on my door (no one but me and whoever comes to visit will see it) and a cute doormat with pine cones and pointsettias. I have always put up my tree, but this year and actaully exicted to do it! I leave on 12/15 to spend the holidays wiht my mom, so not sure what we will be doing, but I'm looking forward to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version