A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Little mistakes that turn out very well

<< < (2/4) > >>

Luci:
Ft. Larned, Kansas. The only national park - or historic site - in that state. 1974

We were heading south out of Nebraska and took a wrong turn. Lucas never turns back.

I was checking the new map trying to figure how to get out of our fix and saw 'FORT' - our magic word. So we drove on, found the fort. It wasn't officially open yet, but it had a ranger, so we visited. I think he and wife were glad of the company. We got the most fantastic tour of the fort, our 3 year old son was attacked by a litter of Irish setters (as in licked to pieces - one of our favorite pictures ever).

We stood just outside of the compound, the sun shining, a light breeze. We could feel what is was like then. I was waiting for the calvary to return.

We visited again several years later. It had much restoration done and was just like so many other US Nat'l Park forts, which are really great, but it lost something. I guess seeing a newly 'discovered' fort as it had lain untouched for 100  years held a special magic for us.

VorFemme:
I ran out of vanilla when baking chocolate chip cookies with a newborn (couldn't drive yet in that state).  Substituted almond flavoring for the rest of the vanilla.

I've made them with half vanilla and half almond flavoring ever since - just ask Ambrosia Hino (the newborn in question) or VorSon.  Even my brothers & sister & the in-laws ask for them over the "original recipe"!

MrTango:
One thing that just happened about 5 minutes ago:

I was making Mashed Potatoes for Thanksgiving Dinner (we're bringing them to MIL's house tomorrow night), and I realized that I was out of milk.

Oh, well.  Sour cream works just as well!   8)

VorFemme:

--- Quote from: MrTango on November 20, 2012, 03:31:29 PM ---One thing that just happened about 5 minutes ago:

I was making Mashed Potatoes for Thanksgiving Dinner (we're bringing them to MIL's house tomorrow night), and I realized that I was out of milk.

Oh, well.  Sour cream works just as well!   8)

--- End quote ---

Add chives.....or put some on the table to be addd by those who like sour cream & chives.

asb8:
Not me but my best friend....

Forgot an important scabble componant

And 9 months later I got the world's most awesome godson!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version