Author Topic: What furniture do you have in your bedroom?  (Read 2142 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
What furniture do you have in your bedroom?
« on: November 12, 2012, 07:51:02 AM »
Our master bedroom is getting a makeover!  It has just never felt like a cozy, comfy, grown up room to me - it's always been that "one step up from college" kind of thing.  SO - now that we've lived here 14 years, I'm ready to give it a face lift!  lol

I'm not exactly sure what I want to put in there. I thought I'd come and find out what you guys have in your bedrooms - please share what you would do differently!

I've often thought of outfitting it as you would a hotel room - BUT - I'm afraid that anything along the lines of a sitting area would become the "toss things here" area.  I'm not sure when I would sit there either?? I know I would like the "look" of it - but what other things could I put there instead? Maybe a lovely chaise??

Current furniture in the room is:
kind size bed
two large chest nightstands
oversized enterntainment armoir
recliner (from when my kids were babies 18 years ago - can't get DH to part with it even though he NEVER sits in it  :-\ - maybe I'll ask again...) - this piece got shuffled to our bedroom for lack of anywhere else in the house to put it

My current thoughts are: 
Bed is staying where it is along one of the 19' walls - in the middle. 

DH is willing to look for an electric fireplace that is designed to hold electronics inside, TV on top to go on the wall across from the bed (currently where oversized armoire is now holding TV).

The two large nightstands are moving away from the bed - because they are so big we have a tendency to toss anything and everything on them, so our sleeping area looks cluttered all the time and that drives me crazy.  We need them for storage, so I was contemplating either putting them together like one long piece in front of the three windows along one of the 14' walls OR incoporating them into the "seating area" that I'm not sure I want.  lol

The armoire - well - it's huge and I think it overpowers the room - maybe because of it's placement opposite the bed though as it makes the walking space narrow and it's very tall.  I'm considering moving it to the 14" wall to the left of the bed and letting DH use it for additional storage - at the same time, I'm trying to encourage an environment of SLEEPING only, not activities, so I don't necessarily want to encourage keeping a bunch of stuff up there.  kwim?? It's an expensive piece of furniture, so if it doesn't stay in the room, we will most likely sell it.  As far as that goes...I'm not sure how much of the stuff being stored in those two nightstands really needs to be in there.....hmmmmm

thoughts or suggestions?  Pleeeeeease...... :o

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Jones

Re: What furniture do you have in your bedroom?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:24:06 AM »
I have the house bar in my room. I doubt other people do this but it works for me; I can keep an eye on the alcohol someday when the children are old enough to want to get into that stuff, and I have a small TV on top.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 08:32:26 AM »
My bedroom is huge so it's got a lot of furniture.  Don't be jealous, the closet and bathroom are very small.  But we have three chest of drawers, a large armoire, two nightstands, an IKEA desk and two dirty clothes sorting things at the foot of the bed.  We used to have a couch, but it became the place to throw clothes I decided to not wear. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:46:40 AM »
My bedroom is a decent size, but full.  Along one wall I have a small chair, dresser, filing cabinet disguised as a small table, another table with my tv, small bookcase, and then a computer cart, but that may be going as I have a laptop now, and it resides on my DR table.  along the opposite wall I have a nightstand, full size bed, and dressing table with chair.  the two end walls are the window and a/c, and the other is the door, and door to my WIC.  While I'd like to move things around, the way the room is won't really allow me to.

agentsmith

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »
Queen bed-a raised sleigh style so it has presence, One nightstand, a dresser with mirror, and a secretary desk.   The desk is very exciting.  All mine, just mine!  Just got it last week   A substantial looking crib for the next few months.  We could squeeze another dresser/chest or possibly an armchair or two but we haven't needed it and it would be crowded. 

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »
I don't have the biggest master bedroom ever, so I have a queen bed, a night stand and my dog's crate which I turned into a table of sorts, but topping it with a piece of wood and covering it with fabric. The dresser sits in one of my closets, since floor space is more of premium than closet space. I'm considering building a bench/book case to go under my windows to host my worn clothing, have a place to sit to put on shoes and expand my book storage options.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 10:49:13 AM »
My favorite bedroom (as a teenager, not this one) had a bed, chest of drawers (chin height & six or so drawers), a dressing table with three mirrors, and eight foot wide shelves for books & a wider shelf used for our desk.  I shared it with my sister - and it had two six foot closets - no way to get from one to the other, so we KNEW how much space we had for "our" stuff.

VorGuy likes to watch tv in bed (I can't get comfortable for long term tv watching in bed) - so we now have a large entertainment center with tv with vcr & dvd player & sound equipment for a stereo, three bookcases, two nightstands, a king sized bed, and two pieces of exercise equipment (for him) - I could live without the entertainment center (tv, vcr, and dvd player) and rearrange the exercise equipment to take its place, but he wants to be able to watch tv while he works out.  ::)  Okay - it's his bedroom, too.

In the past, the master bedroom has also doubled as an office, then a sewing room (office moved to its own room when VorGuy started working from home and needed the privacy - and I needed peace & quiet to sleep), and one house had a sitting room with a small table (we didn't have any other space to put it and KNEW that the military would be moving us sooner or later to a house where we would want THAT table - so we couldn't get rid of it). 

Whatever works in your bedroom is what works for you - but to keep it a relaxing place - paring it down to bed, nightstand(s), clothing storage, and a chair & a bookcase would work fine.  Adding a tv or laptop for watching videos & surfing the web tends to keep most people awake a little too long a little too often for ideal sleep habits....and according to studies, it's not just ME that succumbs to the temptation!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jmarvellous

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »
Queen bed, nightstands and a small pillar/cabinet with a stereo on it. Each nightstand has a lamp, and there's one floor lamp.

We have 3 walk-in closets and a linen closet, so everything else is hidden away. There is a good bit of artwork on the walls and one long mirror.

workerbee

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
We have a queen size bed, two nightstands, a chest of drawers and a dresser (long/waist height) with an attached mirror. Oh, and a kids' play tent with crawl-in tube, and indoor basketball set (can you guess which items do not fit with the decor?  ;) )

Our bedroom is on the list to get a makeover soon......hopefully. We keep talking about it, but can't seem to get it done!  The room is actually quite large (when it's not full of our kids' toys), and I'd like to add a comfy reading corner.

My two hard-and-fast rules for any potential makeover are: (1) stick with a queen size bed (I find kings too vast....although the more kids we have sneaking into our bed in the middle of the night, the more willing I become to waver on this) and (2) no TV in the bedroom (I don't like the distraction).

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »
We've got a king-sized sleigh bed with a nightstand on either side, a dresser opposite it, and a wing chair w/ ottoman to one side of the bed.  There's a small corner cabinet in the opposite side of the room from the dresser that I used to have in one of my girls' rooms to hold collectible dolls, but it didn't fit in the new house so now it's in our room w/ some baby keepsakes and photos in it.  I'd love to replace the chair (which is used pretty much as folded laundry storage until I get the kids' stuff upstairs for them to put away) with a tall, narrow armoire -- right now DH and I share the dresser and there really isn't quite enough room in it.

We've been in this house for a year and I still don't have things on the walls of our bedroom -- we put a small TV on the dresser which rarely gets used, and because of that the mirror we used to hang on the wall above the dresser doesn't fit now (and with the placement of the dresser I didn't really want it there).  I'd love to get a freestanding oval-shaped full-length mirror and get our photos up on the walls so the room would feel "finished."

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »
Ours isn't huge, but we have a surprising amount of stuff in a small-ish space, and still have walking room. The biggest thing, of course, is a king size bed with a bookcase headboard.  A lot of stuff is stored in plastic totes underneath the bed, hidden by a skirt. Two small night stands, not too cluttered, usually. Wicker baskets on each side of the bed serve as "catch-alls". Three small antique dressers, one medium-sized book case, and a cedar storage chest with a padded top that makes great seating.

Mikayla

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
I don't have anything particularly useful to add, except that ever since high school, I've always had an aquarium in my bedroom.  Right now it's a 10 gallon one with some African dwarf frogs and friendly fish, but it's run the gamut from a 1 gallon betta tank up to 30 gallons at one point.

It just adds...something.  And it's easy to color coordinate with your bedroom if that sort of thing matters.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
My suggestion would be to figure out what activities you want to use the room for: sleeping, TV watching, early morning cup of coffee, etc. >:D Then remove everything from the room that doesn't fit those needs.

Then look at why this room has become a dumping ground. If things belong elsewhere in the house, figure out how to store them where they are used. If it is your own personal "stuff," figure out where you use the items the most and store them there. This may mean reorganizing existing storage elsewhere in the house, or creating a "launch pad" by the door for tote bags and phones and keys and the like. You may need to reorganize your closet and the drawers in the chests to find a home for everything. You might also need to declutter unused, unworn things from your closets and from elsewhere in the house.

A place for everything and everything in its place. If stuff is getting put randomly on the chests, it is probably because it doesn't have a permanent "home." Once you decide on a home and make it easy to put things away, you will be surprised at how nice your rooms look (says the former slob and clutter-bug).

Take a good look at the recliner. If it is comfortable, could you have it recovered and use it in the "new" bedroom as a cozy reading spot, with a small side table and floor lamp? Or could it be used in the family room? The huge armoire--if you get a new unit for the TV, get the big armoire out of the bedroom. If you need it for storage, use it elsewhere in the house. Give yourselves some breathing room in your bedroom. Stop stuffing things in there just because they fit.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »
Our bedroom has the bed (full) which is a platform with 2 drawers int eh base and 2 nightstands built in.  We then have two dressers, a small table, a small set of 2 drawers between the closets (2 non-walkin closets), a bookshelf I use to store my shoes and a 3 bag hamper.

The feature I love the most about my bedroom are the mirrors.  There are 4 - one over my dresser, one between the closets over the chest of drawers and full length one on each closet door.  They move the light around the room and make it brighter and bigger looking.  I also love having an over the door ironing board in my closet and its near an outlet - I can super quickly pop it down and iron something and then it goes away in seconds.

We do not have a TV in the bedroom, or cell phone chargers and while we don't necessarily subscribe to the "never go to bed angry" school of thought we do have a strict no fighting in the bedroom house rule.  One can be silently annoyed, our emotions are our emotions after all and you still need to sleep, but the angry discussions or any annoyances, vents, etc cannot happen in the bedroom - its a place for calm.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »
I have a ton of furniture in my bedroom... it's a bit silly! There's the bed with two nightstands, a storage bench at the foot of the bed, my dresser behind the bed with my wardrobe next to it (making a little dressing room area with my laundry sorter tucked inside), a side table with a compartment for a litterbox, two more nightstands (in areas where I have a tendency to just plop things on the floor), my vanity, jewelry armoire, DH's dresser, bookcase, and about 100 mirrors (ok, 5, 6 if you count the vanity :P). There's also a another little side table with a chaise next to it. It's my favorite reading spot. :)

RE: organization, I agree w/ camlan—zone the areas in your room (and home!)based on the activities you plan on doing in your room. My DH's dresser is next to his closet, I have my own little dressing area (and my own "make me pretty" area, lol ;)) the bookcase is next to the chaise for reading, etc. I highly recommend checking out the book "Organizing from the Inside Out;" I found it really helpful in organizing my home and my life!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS