Author Topic: What furniture do you have in your bedroom?  (Read 2098 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: What furniture do you have in your bedroom?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »
I live in a small apartment with DS - we each have our own small bedroom.

my room has a double bed, night table, fitted wall to wall/floor to ceiling closet. that's it. plus a pile of old chairs and two plastic stoarge boxes that i use as a bookshelf...

I would love to add a unit that would fit behind my bed and have room for lamps, things, and books. I saw a unit like that in ikea, so one of these days...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Amara

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »
This is a fascinating discussion. Thanks to everyone for their input.

My bedroom has a California King bed (but the next one I get will be queen-size). There are two antique tables that act as nightstands with fold-down sides and two tiny drawers. The leg is pretty similar to this: http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Antique-Furniture/2012/06/duncan-phyfe-table_1.jpg The drawers are quite slender and hold very little; besides, I like them uncluttered so there's only a lamp on each and a couple of books on each one.

I also have an vintage dresser (probably from the 1930s or 1940s) with a round mirror and only two drawers. Surprisingly, all my stuff fit inside easily though socks and underwear are in one, and jewelry and scarves in the other. All other clothes including shorts (and sports shorts) are hung in the closet. Very little on top except a couple of pictures and books.

I have never had a television in the bedroom and never will. It is a room of peace to me, and television doesn't fit in that theme. On CL, I recently found exactly what I've been looking for: a lovely wing chair, in perfect condition, a seafoam green. (I'm looking for a bed-in-a-bag set to more or less match and think I found a lovely one. That chair sits by the window and I can look out on the garden as I read. A pretty vintage floor lamp is next to the chair. It rapidly became my own cozy reading nook so I no longer read in bed but almost every night I get some nighttime reading in while sitting there. Of course, that chair has become a favorite with the cats so it's not uncommon that I have to shoo one off.

Basically, I asked myself what I want that room to be--and the way I am setting it up is my answer to that question. I think the bedroom should reflect what you truly see as your dream; it's the most intimate part of your house so let yourself do what you envision.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:15:10 PM by Amara »

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »
OP here.  Thanks for all the input and please keep it coming! I'm making notes...

Ona follow up question - does anyone have those types of lamps that you can hang on the wall, but they still plug in? I'm thinking instead of table lamps for next to the bed.  Love them?  Hate them?

You all have had some really great suggestions. Thank You!! (and keep it coming....lol)

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »
OP here.  Thanks for all the input and please keep it coming! I'm making notes...

Ona follow up question - does anyone have those types of lamps that you can hang on the wall, but they still plug in? I'm thinking instead of table lamps for next to the bed.  Love them?  Hate them?

You all have had some really great suggestions. Thank You!! (and keep it coming....lol)

You mean pin up lamps, like this?

I do not have them, because I am constantly rearranging the furniture. But I think they are great for freeing up space on bedside tables. And they allow you to get the lamp to the right height for easy reading in bed.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »

You mean pin up lamps, like this?

I do not have them, because I am constantly rearranging the furniture. But I think they are great for freeing up space on bedside tables. And they allow you to get the lamp to the right height for easy reading in bed.

Yep!  That's what I mean!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »
I have those kinds of lights.  I had a heck of a time finding them though as just about all I could find were for walls wired for lights.  I didn't want to rewire my walls!  I ended up getting zip cord and making them myself.  The cord hangs straight down and has one of those wheel switches right on the cord (like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_246889-1571-410-WCC25_0__?storeId=10151&Ntt=in-line+switch&UserSearch=in-line+switch&productId=3235990&N=0&catalogId=10051&langId=-1).  In the end it kinda worked out using zip cord because I was able to customized the cord length and customize where the switches are.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
Our bedroom is very, very small.  The queen sized bed takes up nearly one entire wall and most of the floor space. 
We just had some work done in there and have not moved back in, but we'll have the queen sized bed (no headboard), a lovely big old oak dresser, a smaller dresser, a lamp table by the bed and my little bed lamp.  I told my husband that I only want to decorate with pretty window curtains, bedspread and doorway curtains on the two doorways in the room. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bandu

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 10:00:37 PM »
I have absolutely nothing useful to add, but just wanted to say that when I read the topic, it made me giggle out loud.

What furniture do I have in my bedroom? ALL of it!  ;D

(I live in an old country store. It's just one really big rectangle with an add-on bathroom extruding from one side.)

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 10:54:05 PM »
I have a queen-sized bed, one nightstand (just me there, so no need for two!), a dresser with mirror, a chest of drawers, a small jewelry armoire, and two dog crates. :)

Nox

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 12:55:30 AM »
It's a bit complicated at my house. The master is my guest room for my parents, who visit frequently, because it's got its own bathroom. It's also the storage room for everything that I don't want the kids getting in to. It's got a queen sized bed, six low bookshelves (some stacked), the keyboard, a DVD storage shelf that holds some more books, a lamp with built in shelves that serves as a nightstand for one side of the bed, and a bunch of plastic storage bins that go under the bed. Additionally, at the moment, there are heaps of boxes and Christmas presents, and a single mattress piled in there. My parents are not here at the moment, needless to say.

I'm sleeping in one of the secondary bedrooms with my 8 month old (who is still not sleeping through the night). It is packed to the rafters with a double bed/futon, a pack-n-play, a bed side table and all of her and my clothes in stacks on the floor. There are also some folding chairs and some boxes that I need to sort and get rid of.

I'm going to be rearranging things soon, because my 2 year old needs to get out of the crib and the baby needs to get into it. The single mattress will be the toddler's when I get around to shifting her. That'll free up the master quite a bit in time for my parents to come for Christmas.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 01:11:42 AM »
I need help here, too.  There's a king size bed, my grandmother's Amish rocker, a television (without a stand; it's currently on the floor), and an endtable.  There's a large walk-in closet but on one side of that is a long dresser that holds clothes.  The rest of the clothes that can't hang are in laundry baskets  ::).  I think I'm going to have to weed out and ruthlessly get rid of a lot of clothes, then move the dresser into another bedroom (like my daughter's), and buy a proper one for our room.  And a dingdang TV base.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 10:13:26 AM »

Yes, I have these lights: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70195419/#/30195421

I love them for reading in bed! Ikea has tons of options for wall lights, but I picked these ones because they are adjustable (mine have a little handle, too).
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »

Found one for the guest room - rearranged rooms after realizing that I could fit more guests in if I did it differently (VorGuy set up the "new" house in my absence and saved a bedroom for my sewing room instead of putting it in the larger game room - cutting tables are easier to use when they don't have to be folded up - although they do stay cleaner when folded up....).  I gained bed space for two more AFTER DD's wedding....and got a bigger sewing area, too.  DS kept the wall light and LOVES it.  I just wish I'd been able to find more than the one...they don't get knocked off the night stand.

I sleep in the guest room a lot (VorGuy snores but wakes me up and complains that I am keeping him awake with MY snoring - we both get a better night's sleep in different rooms).  Queen sized bed, one nightstand with two deeper drawers & one shallow drawer for the remote controls to the TV that VorGuy insists belongs in a proper guest room,  lamp by the bed for reading, dresser with mirror (six deep drawers and two shallow ones for jewelry, electronics, or whatever you want OFF the top of the dresser) & a matching lamp to the one on the nightstand, and a chest of drawers (he bought a suite of furniture on sale and chose the extra clothes storage over a second night stand - again, while I was not there).  I do like the furniture - and I have to admit that a queen is more comfortable to sleep on for two people...but a full size sleigh bed would have left a little more floor space for the dresser & chest of drawers.  Maybe enough floor space for a chair of some kind....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 11:50:20 AM »
I have absolutely nothing useful to add, but just wanted to say that when I read the topic, it made me giggle out loud.

What furniture do I have in my bedroom? ALL of it!  ;D...

That is how it was when I first moved into my house.  I bought a house and I didn't own a bed, a table, TV, indoor chairs or anything that played music.  (I'd garbage picked some lawn chairs)  As I bought stuff, it ended up in my bedroom.