Author Topic: What to send in a care package to Afghanistan?  (Read 1900 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
What to send in a care package to Afghanistan?
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »
My husband's best friend is currently deployed to Afghanistan and will be there over his birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  We'd like to send him a care package.  I know some of you have been deployed there, or have spouses who are: any ideas of what to include?  I know that his wife and kids send packages with some frequency, so he does get packages.  My husband asked his wife if she knew of anything in particular that he might like getting, but I'm wondering if anybody has ideas that might not have been thought of yet, or things that are always nice to get, etc.?  He doesn't smoke, and I'm not sure whether he's a fan of gum/candy or not, but my husband would probably know that or he'll find out that much from his wife.  Some websites for sending stuff to soldiers/airmen mention things like good wool socks, not sure if those are in demand in Afghanistan?  It's getting colder there now, probably especially at night since it's desert, so maybe those would be a hit?

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Re: What to send in a care package to Afghanistan?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:08:42 PM »
Depending on where he is, they may have a decent BX/PX where they can get socks and normal drugstore/Wal-mart stuff. Edibles are always welcome, because the chow is not good on the best days and will make you horribly ill on the worst. Drink mixes in the individual pouches/Mio containers are really cool as well... water gets boring and all the bottled water strts to taste funky from being left outside in the sun.

If he is into body building/fitness, he would probably like workout stuff, and motorcycle/tattoo magazines are great for morale  >:D Plus, they double as unofficial currency!

But socks are always welcome, as a general rule. The laundry fairies like to steal them!

OT- Laundry fairies were really a weird phenomenon. Everyone sends their laundry out to get washed, and there was always a weird exchange of what you would get back. I once lost panties, a bra, and a pair of socks and got a sleep shirt in exchange... I was stoked! I needed another sleep shirt, and I always over pack on underwear  ;D (A sleep shirt is an overgarment, kind of like a pull over sweater, just not sweater material)
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
Forgot to add that magazines and puzzle type things are really awesome too! The guys would destroy all of my Hollywood mags to see what was going on in the U.S., and Suduko and crosswords were also really popular.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
Absolutely. 

When I was sending care packages five years ago one thing I read requests for were lidded coffee mugs like the ones you drive with.  The soldier I sent those to said these were in short supply.

Instant hot chocolate, soup, and other such things.  You can never send enough junk food.

If they can watch movies, send DVDs.

MrTango

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
I've had friends in Iraq who requested the following:

Beef Jerky
Wisps (disposable toothbrushes)
Single-serving drink mixes
Wet-wipes
Postage Stamps, envelopes, and writing paper
Single-serve snacks (cheese & crackers, granola bars, etc).
Phone calling cards (for use when calling home)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:22:19 PM by MrTango »

Jocelyn

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:55:57 PM »
My nephew was deployed there, and he said that it was really appalling how often they got home from a mission and there was nothing left for dinner- because the contractors routinely under-prepared so that they could make more profit. He wanted anything he could make a dinner out of, if he got back and all the food was gone- those mac-and-cheese in a cup, for example.
I personally think there's a corner of Hell reserved for anyone who makes themselves rich(er) by starving our soldiers. My nephew said that he felt bad every time he ate dinner and some other team was out on a mission, because he knew they wouldn't be getting any dinner, but he was so hungry he just had to eat. He came home mid-mission, and his uniform hung on him.

Amara

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 10:59:36 PM »
A little off topic, but not far. What is a good website where if I wanted I could hook up, mail-wise, with a guy in the service? That is, I believe I'd enjoy doing things like this and writing. I would prefer a non-religious one, please.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »
http://www.anysoldier.com/

An excellent site started by the parents of a soldier from Desert Storm.

Rohanna

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 11:32:22 PM »
Tim Horton's sold me the little packets of coffee they use for their machines at cost when I told them what it was for- they're lighter to ship than cans and stay fresher, and went over a treat when I mailed them to a friend. They might have the vacuum-sealed blocks now too.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Phoebelion

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 06:20:18 AM »
Requests I have rec'd:  sport mags (local library held them for me), local newspapers (especially the funny pages), basically food of any kind (even if they didn't like others were more than happy to take off their hands - but they did love those microwave cake things), hard candy, surprisingly -heavy  water proof gloves (think someone is the snow removal industry to see where they get them), mini toiletries ( unscented if possible - they specially requested hand sanitizer), comedy DVD's, paperback books (sci fi and surprisingly, westerns).   And beef salami sticks - they couldn't get enough of them.  We were sending a package a week and we put at one in every package

And don't forget you get a special deal at the USPS on the shipping.  They have a standard box for $10. 

You may also want to review the list on the website mentioned able for the list of do not sends - some pretty specific stuff. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 06:35:50 AM »
My brother's over there now. I know he's at a base with a PX, so he can get the basics himself. So far he's requested:

--Basic stuff like kleenex
--Toothpaste
--Deoderant
--Toothbrushes
--Honey-roasted chunky peanut butter
--Salty stuff like WheatThins, chips, etc
--Good old-fashioned baked goods and sweet stuff
--simple toys to hand out to local kids

Obviously, this list is specific to him. I just stocked up on Pringles because they were on sale and their container makes shipping easy. I also send "noodle in a cup" type things--he doesn't always have access to a pot to make stuff in, but he can get hot water. Jerky. Lip balm. Car and truck magazines. Bicycling magazines. People magazine. Little Debbie cakes.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Venus193

• Super Hero!

smroy724

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »
About five years ago, I sent about 15 packages a week...
The one thing that I got the biggest reaction from (especially the Marines not on bases) were pop tarts. 

Not sure why or even the favorite types, but some of the best thank you letters were about those pop tarts!
- SMROY724

The big day is fast approaching - 10/9/10.

Amara

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »
Thank you, Venus. I appreciate that.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 01:37:43 PM »
Some sweet stuff can melt, and they can often take a while to get there. I remember hearing the Rice Krispie Treats were incredibly popular.

Homemade is fine. It lasts, doesn't melt, and doesn't really get stale.

And even if he can't eat them, he can share, which is always good for points with your mates. Sometimes that's more valuable the stuff that's just for him.