Author Topic: 'Spam' redirect when accessing forum  (Read 1630 times)

Margo

'Spam' redirect when accessing forum
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:02:20 AM »
I've been finding over the last wek or so that every time I try to come to the forum (either direct or via thelink on the main site) I'm fgetting re-direting to what appears to be a phishing site - it purports to say I'm the 1000th visitor and may have won an ipad...
Obviously I haven't  proceeded so I do;t know whether it is a direct scam trying to get personal details or 'just' trying to harvest addresses atc for later hard selling, but it's quite concerning.

There is no option to close the 'prize' site, no 'no thanks' option, which is what flags it up as a scam to me - legitimate surveys and prize draws always have the option to turn it down!

I've also found that hitting the back button and then re-selcting e-hell doesn't help (another red flag - if I was the 1000th visitor the first time, I can't be the 1000th visitor again a few minutes later!)

starting over with a copletely now window seems to work.

I'm flagging this up as it seems to be happening very frequently at present,  and is only happening when I access this site, and is happening across several different devices, all of which lead me to think it is definitely a problem linked to the site,not to my machine.

Not sure if it means the site has been hacked or whether it is a company which has legitimate access using their access in a way which was not (I'm sure) originally anticipated or authorised.

Jones

Re: 'Spam' redirect when accessing forum
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »
Is it possible you have a Trojan in your computer? I used to get those all the time, took my laptop to a shop, they cleaned it up and I didn't get them again.

Well...in the last week I started getting them on a rare basis, I think I know exactly what I did to get some more spyware, but my laptop security isn't finding anything so I'll probably take it in for another manual clean up job.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 01:25:10 PM »
I get those type of sites if I am one letter off from the website address.  Like www.fscebook.com  instead of www.facebook.com .

And you will get that "You are a winner!" or other site, and there isn't a no option since you are on their site not necessarily here in ehell.  Double check your address spelling.

Margo

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
thanks for the suggestion, but no, definitely no trojan, (it's happened on more than one different computer, and never on any site but e-hell.)
Not a spelling issue as I have the site on my favourites bar so am not typing the address.

shadowfox79

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »
Just to add I'm having this problem too on multiple PCs. The page I click on comes up and then is immediately re-directed, so no misspellings.

And only on eHell.

O'Dell

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
What browser are you all using? Is it the same one across all machines?

FWIW, I'm using Chrome and I have a bunch of add-ons that provide security as well as security software for my PC. I haven't had any issues like you describe.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Margo

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 06:18:41 AM »
I use chrome at home, safari on my phone ad internet explorer at work. I have a lot of very tough security.
I have not had this issue on any site other than e-hell. It's frequent but not on every visit.

I posted as I assumed that the admins would want to check for any any issues with the site

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 06:05:30 PM »
I don't know if Admins responded perhaps by PM yet, but I would screen print and look at the web address of the redirect and note it.  Hope it doesn't happen again, sounds very annoying.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 09:57:11 AM »
It is not a problem originating from the Ehell server that we are aware of.   I pay a considerable amount of money to a security company to monitor the server and the websites and alert us to unauthorized access to the server or any changes to the software. 

If you can provide me with a screen shot of what you are seeing when the page gets redirected, that would assist people on the forum and us to sleuth the problem better. 

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »
It is possible a Google ad is causing the redirect but the majority of the ads that appear on this site are not contextual to the page content but rather targeted to viewer's geography and what sites the viewer has recently surfed to.   If I go to some specific web site, it's a sure thing I will see Google ads for the exact same business when I come to the  Ehell site.   In other words, if a person either deliberately or accidentally stumbles on a hinky site, the odds are good that this person will start seeing targeted ads either for that site or of a similar genre which explains why a few may have a problem whereas others have no problems whatsoever. 

Unless you or others can provide a screenshot showing the ads that appear just before you are redirected, or at least the landing page with URL visible, there isn't much I can do to help you.