Author Topic: Homemade food gifts  (Read 3210 times)

shygirl

Homemade food gifts
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
Is anyone making homemade food gifts to give to people?

I've always like spiced nuts (spicy kinds), and I just found a recipe for pumpkin pie spiced nuts which sounds really good to me!

I've always wanted to make toffee, but I'm scared of the whole needing a candy thermometer thing, so I've avoided that so far.

Candied fruit peels looked pretty, so I might make that this year.  Do people really eat it though? 

What are other people making?

Redneck Gravy

Re: Homemade food gifts
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »
I am thinking about homemade foods also for this year, joining your quest for ideas.

I used to make buttermints and fudge.  I have given crocheted blankets or Christmas ornament earrings.  A couple of years ago I learned how to make knot/tie blankets, but have given all those I can.

I would like to find a dry cappuccino mix or bean soup mix.   Spiced nuts sound wonderful. 

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »
I'll probably make a caramel apple cheesecake for Thanksgiving, and special Christmas cookies...as long as my dad doesn't hog the kitchen this year like he likes to do.  ;D

Using a candy thermometer can be a bit intimidating if you haven't done it before, but the anticipation is worse than the actual thing itself.  The one we have clamps on the edge of the pot, and it's easy to clean.  You just have to keep an eye on it so that the sugar doesn't burn.  ;)

Perfect Circle

• The followers of chaos, out of control
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »
I make a lot of fudge, biscuits, cookies and truffles. The sugar thermometer isn't scary to use, you get the hang of them very quickly. I don't own a microwave so I boil my fudge and love the process.

Anything you do though should not be something that goes off in a day or two because you don't know how long the recipient might want to wait before indulging.
In all this talk of time
Talk is fine
But I don't want to stay around
Why can't we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet

CakeBeret

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »
Last year I made truffles as stocking stuffers for my extended family. They were a HUGE hit. They were great fun, but so much time and money and effort (I went all-out on them) that I don't think I'll do them again this year. I'm going to do candied nuts instead. I have to be conscious of what I make because my mom is gluten-free and I want to give the same treat to everyone.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Lynnv

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:08:40 AM »
I make jams and jellies for holiday gifts of all sorts.  This year I ended up with 8 dozen jars.  And they will all be gone (or at least spoken for) before the new year.  :>
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Shopaholic

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
I have made:

Chocolate truffles - once I placed them in cute decorative boxes and everyone got one on their plate before dinner.
Macarons
Jam
Cakes
Cookies in pretty jars/bowls

I think half of the effect is how nicely you wrap them - I usually use coloured cellophane, ribbons and stickers.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 11:36:27 AM »
My husband makes his own granola to give to certain people at Christmas.  I get a kick out of him because he doesn't do the usual quart jar filled with granola and a fancy decorated lid.  He fills one of those great big freezer bags with the zip top.  People love it.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »
This year I'll be making cheesecakes to give away.  It's a nice gift that everyone loves and as a bonus, I'm testing recipes for starting my own business.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »
Go ahead and make toffee.  I make it all the time.  With the clamping thermometer, it is easy.  There is also a temp. range rather than exact temperature.  I add toffee pieces to chocolate chip cookies and buying the bags of toffee was very expensive. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 12:09:46 PM »
I've made, in different years - cookies, pumpkin bread, english muffin bread, and fudge.  People love homemade gifts, at least the ones I've gifted to!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 12:29:27 PM »

Gish and i (mostly Gish, i am a dunce in the kitchen) made batches and batches of spaghetti sauce and salsa. I also selflessly drank several bottles of Grey Goose so we can use them to make flavored oils with dried veggies from his garden.
The last batch of sauce unfortunately burned so we're going to have to do a bit of scrambling. It is truly inedibly awful.

My wonderful SIL last year made jerky, and marshmallow treats. That was really great. I hope she makes more this year.

I really like food gifts.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

jmarvellous

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »
I made spice mixes -- Italian, curry, baked potato topping and a generic (good) seasoning salt. Huge hit with cooks in my life.

I would like to make gifts again this year, but I would prefer not to do sweets -- too many dieters or people without a sweet tooth.

What lasts a good while without refrigeration and isn't candy?

To the OP, I've seen candied peel given, but never eaten (except maybe within a recipe that calls for it).

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
I made spice mixes -- Italian, curry, baked potato topping and a generic (good) seasoning salt. Huge hit with cooks in my life.

I would like to make gifts again this year, but I would prefer not to do sweets -- too many dieters or people without a sweet tooth.

What lasts a good while without refrigeration and isn't candy?

To the OP, I've seen candied peel given, but never eaten (except maybe within a recipe that calls for it).
I've had candied orange peel, dipped in dark chocolate. YUMMY!  if i can find a recipe, i want to make some this year.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »
I make mini quick breads. In the past, I made jar gifts; soups, cookies, etc. Those got to be too time-consuming and expensive,  tho.