Author Topic: Wanting things done properly  (Read 5886 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Wanting things done properly
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
"Dad, this is my house. You have to let me decide what is DIY, or DID (Do it by Dad), and when I  need to call in a professional.  I know that you re-puttying it would be cheaper, but I think that would be a 6 month fix.  Getting them reglazed would be a 5 year fix.  I could get all new windows, which would be a 20 year fix, but that would be so much more!  So for this I don't want you to do anything or it will just cost me more to have the glazer take the putty out and then reglaze the windows.  You know what I could use your help on if you want? ...."

Pippen

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 06:17:51 PM »
He came round yesterday (without putty! Yay!) and the cheek of it, he wanted to check to make sure I was doing the job properly. Oh the irony. I gave him a detailed, step my step explanation of what was going to be done as opposed to what he thought should be done, and told him that if he thought he could come in an just bodge it up he has another thing coming. He conceded it was more complex than just throwing some quick fix measure at it so it looks like I win round one.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »
He came round yesterday (without putty! Yay!) and the cheek of it, he wanted to check to make sure I was doing the job properly. Oh the irony. I gave him a detailed, step my step explanation of what was going to be done as opposed to what he thought should be done, and told him that if he thought he could come in an just bodge it up he has another thing coming. He conceded it was more complex than just throwing some quick fix measure at it so it looks like I win round one.

That's actually a problem. He thinks he's entitled to an explanation because he "knows better." Next time: "I've got it under control and don't need your help."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

mstigerlily

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 03:42:11 PM »
That's actually a problem. He thinks he's entitled to an explanation because he "knows better." Next time: "I've got it under control and don't need your help."

Parking my POD right here

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »
True. Maybe the explanation is the interim step to 'wean' him off feeling like he's being so helpful by presenting your way as well thought out and long-term.

And then you can go to 'I got it, Dad' after a couple of these instances.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Pippen

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »
It was more to provide him with a full understanding of the issue. He needed to see it was more complex and involved than what he thought and that there is no point going to all this time and expense to cut corners and end up with a half cocked job that will just create more problems. His brother was a extremely talented and successful engineer with a attention to detail and precision so maybe he thinks he has the genetics for it.Yeah. Not so much. It's just be is blind to this particular issue unless faced with incontrovertible proof otherwise.