Author Topic: Weirdo issue with my boss  (Read 5388 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Weirdo issue with my boss
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 12:32:24 PM »
Maybe I'm the weirdo, but if this happened with a boss/coworker that I got along with, I'd probably encourage it and make it "our thing". I think little quirks like that can be endearing.

If it bothers you, it bothers you. But I think you'd be better off viewing it as either a sign that he's struggling with a Tic-Tac addiction or, more likely, a sign that he feels your working relationship is close enough that he can drop some of the finer points of etiquette.

Thanks for that perspective, O'Dell. It helps. He really is an awesome boss, and I am fully aware that I have some weird issues with sharing food and on coworkers in my personal space, hence me running this past the eminently sensible folks around here.

shivering

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 02:23:30 PM »
After 4 years, I wouldn't say anything especially since he's not hogging it. It'll only lead to awkwardness. If it really bothers you, take them off your desk. But, as already mentioned, a handful of tic tacs every week in exchange for an otherwise good boss sounds like a pretty good deal.  ;)

Out of curiosity, do you remember if he asked you the very first time?

Communal candy on someone's desk is not uncommon, so while he should ask and not assume (especially as it's unwrapped), based on his behavior with his own snacks, he has different food boundaries. We all have our quirks. This is his.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 08:56:18 AM »
After 4 years, I wouldn't say anything especially since he's not hogging it. It'll only lead to awkwardness. If it really bothers you, take them off your desk. But, as already mentioned, a handful of tic tacs every week in exchange for an otherwise good boss sounds like a pretty good deal.  ;)

Out of curiosity, do you remember if he asked you the very first time?

Communal candy on someone's desk is not uncommon, so while he should ask and not assume (especially as it's unwrapped), based on his behavior with his own snacks, he has different food boundaries. We all have our quirks. This is his.

I don't think he asked the first time, but then again, that may have been four years ago in his mind (not that I've had the same container that long, but do often have a container of mints on my desk - I eat a lot of garlic!).

Yeah, chalking it up to his own quirk - and a good boss is not worth making a fuss over a few mints, that's for sure.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
I would have a decoy pack of tictacs on the desk for him and then your own pack in your desk.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 01:34:32 PM »
I would have a decoy pack of tictacs on the desk for him and then your own pack in your desk.

I was just about to suggest this, so I POD bopper.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »
So these are not the little palm size boxes of tic tacs that you shake a few into your mouth at a time? 

I am just trying to get a picture, since those are the only kind I know.  Those are personal, since not everyone taps them into their hand, but instead they go right into the mouth.  ewww..."kissing" your boss via the tic tac box!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 08:12:24 AM »
]
So these are not the little palm size boxes of tic tacs that you shake a few into your mouth at a time? 

I am just trying to get a picture, since those are the only kind I know.  Those are personal, since not everyone taps them into their hand, but instead they go right into the mouth.  ewww..."kissing" your boss via the tic tac box!

No, these are the great big desk sized boxes - 200 in a package.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »
Maybe I'm the weirdo, but if this happened with a boss/coworker that I got along with, I'd probably encourage it and make it "our thing". I think little quirks like that can be endearing.

If it bothers you, it bothers you. But I think you'd be better off viewing it as either a sign that he's struggling with a Tic-Tac addiction or, more likely, a sign that he feels your working relationship is close enough that he can drop some of the finer points of etiquette.

I agree with this.  It wouldn't bother me at all, but food sharing isn't one of my issues.  I think it's pretty normal for people to see a bulk type item and assume it was for sharing.  I'd have gotten in the habit by now of handing him the box when he walked up.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 08:57:07 AM »
After posting, I remembered a friend who would always take a mint if they were in her view.  Having bad breathe was a personal phobia of hers, so if she saw a mint she automatically started popping, even if not hers.  And she'd never turn down an offer of gum because she assumed you were indicating she needed it if offered.