Author Topic: Gift idea - honest feedback welcomed  (Read 2510 times)

nrb80

• Global Moderator
Gift idea - honest feedback welcomed
« on: November 13, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »
We have our family's major gift giving holiday coming up soon.  Including our nuclear family we are 18 total - I'm the only one with kids, the rest are guys 25 to 35, one wife aged 35, and couples of my parent's generation, ranging from 58 to 81.  And one almost 17 year old boy.  By general unspoken consensus these gifts are fairly modest - 25 per person from the younger set. I also do the baking for the holiday - but this year its going to be different and the family will gather at a the hosts' then go to a restaurant, not our usual overnight. 

So my idea is homemade lapdesks and a cookie bouquet per person.  I have these cute vases that I think is the style of several of the women.  The 17 year old actually asked me to make him a lapdesk so I think he's on board with that at least.

Thoughts?  Does it seem cheap / icky / boring / weird?  Its not terribly personalized, but I've tended to buy in "classes" - all the older ladies get a purse, all the guys get bags, etc.   

Amara

Re: Gift idea - honest feedback welcomed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »
I think that's an extremely useful and thoughtful gift. Whether for writing, reading or propping a laptop on a portable desk can handle it all.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:37:20 PM »
Lapdesk?  As in a board with some padding on the bottom?

I think its a know your audience thing.  I can't think of anyone I know who would use one (I'm a female in the 35ish range).  I do use a laptop computer but I rarely put it on my lap as then I'd need to use a cooling pad as well.  I don't do anything else on my lap.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 05:47:12 PM »
I don't generally like the idea of everyone getting the same gift unless each individual gift is tailored for the recipient. In other words, Tom's lapdesk has a baseball theme because he likes baseball and Janice's has puppies because dogs are her thing.  Other than that, only you know if your family members would find a lapdesk useful. It's not something I would use.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Maggie

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »
You don't need a cooling pad if it is sitting on a hard surface.  The lapdesks I have seen all have hard surface tops.  This gives the fan the space it needs to breathe.  I think it is a good idea and I like the idea of customizing them for sports fans and other things.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »
I think lapdesks are neat, and they're the sort of thing I wouldn't buy for myself but would probably use constantly if someone gave it to me. :P I agree w/ Judah, though, that perhaps they could be slightly personalized via the fabric of the padding.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

jmarvellous

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 06:30:16 PM »
I have a lapdesk and feel like most adults who want one would have one already. Cookies are great.

I have no problem with getting all or most people the same gift if they're likely to like it.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »
I like the lapdesk idea, especially if you can personalized the fabric used for the bottom or maybe even a quote written in the corner of the top.  I have one in my bedroom but woudn't mind having one downstairs to use too on occasion. 

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
The lapdesk idea was spurred by a conversation a couple months ago when we were all staying at the same hotel - everyone (except me now) is a road warrior or has to spend more time seated than before.  Everyone is also employed at least as an adjunct - so they use their laptops a lot.  I don't like using a lapdesk (unless on bedrest, shudder), but the guys seemed to like them in hotels.  My mom liked hers but it might just be because the grandkids "made" it. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
If its specifically for traveling, make sure to make them light and as small as possible - luggage space is precious.

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 11:49:39 PM »
I was thinking these would be for home - they would be too big to pack.  I think the guys use laptops in bed - not sure about the older generation.

Apparently the best gift ever was 3 or so years ago when I got a great deal on some wheeled travel sized garment bags.  All of the guys still use theirs - and mine was shredded by an errant husband! Still cannot find a replacement as good.

Of course, the guys have each demanded a favorite baked good - so they will at least get that.

gingerzing

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 01:27:47 PM »
I like it.
And there isn't any reason why they can't use the lapboard for other things besides the computer. 
My granddad had something like a lapboard that he made for himself and grandma (years ago) that they used for playing solitare. Grandma used her also when she worked on sewing projects and some of her letter writing.

O'Dell

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
I like it.
And there isn't any reason why they can't use the lapboard for other things besides the computer. 
My granddad had something like a lapboard that he made for himself and grandma (years ago) that they used for playing solitare. Grandma used her also when she worked on sewing projects and some of her letter writing.

I like it too. I use mine for plenty of things. We have a couple stashed around the house, so we can grab the closest one when we want a small surface to work on but don't want to sit at a desk or table. I think you are fine even if you think it might be a duplicate gift.

BTW, I like mine for my laptop. I don't often use it away from my desk, but when I do, I want my mouse and mouse pad. I'm not keen on touch pads.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »
I think that is an awesome idea, and I wish I was on your list! I was just thinking last night that  my lap desk is in pretty sorry shape and probably needs to be replaced soon!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 05:01:40 PM »
It would seem like a lapdesk would be very easy to personalize.  Different fabric for different people.