Author Topic: At a Loss  (Read 17342 times)

Lexophile

Re: At a Loss
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
"Look, Son! Grandma got you a guitar you can smash on the amps! This is a one-time opportunity, so enjoy!"

Turns on digital camera.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

HermioneGranger

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2012, 09:08:16 AM »
"Look, Son! Grandma got you a guitar you can smash on the amps! This is a one-time opportunity, so enjoy!"

Turns on digital camera.

Snerk.   >:D

boxy

« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »
I'd do one of two things.

1)  Confront mom before the gift exchange and gently, politely, say something like, "I appreciate the intent of this gift, but it's undermining what we're doing.  It probably would be better for you to give this to someone else.  Thanks for understanding that I'm not ungrateful, I just want to give something specific to Son."

2)  Take the gift gracefully then give it away, smash it on an amp, whatever.  When questioned later as to its whereabouts explain, "well, it wasn't in good shape (didn't meet our needs, etc.) and we found one that suits Son better."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »
We tried them out, and DS needs a left-handed guitar. MIL is horrible at doing any sort of research before buying larger purchases and this is just another example in a long line of bad purchases. She tried to return the guitar to the thrift shop, but they don't take returns.  ::)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2012, 04:53:10 PM »
Wait, she bought a guitar that was broken from a thrift store that was so low quality it had probably never meant to be played in the first place.  And she spent real money on it? 

LeveeWoman

« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »
We tried them out, and DS needs a left-handed guitar. MIL is horrible at doing any sort of research before buying larger purchases and this is just another example in a long line of bad purchases. She tried to return the guitar to the thrift shop, but they don't take returns.  ::)

Am I a bad person for laughing?

snappylt

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »

It's pretty clear to me that chances are high that your son is going to enjoy your well-thought-out gift much more than he is going to enjoy MIL's non-working gift.  I know it must have been infuriating to watch her try to one-up you on the gift, but I think you came out "ahead" at least this time.  I'm at a loss as to how to keep this from happening again, but maybe if MIL doesn't plan ahead any better next time she'll have a similar result then, too. Good luck with her!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2012, 05:16:08 PM »
Wait, she bought a guitar that was broken from a thrift store that was so low quality it had probably never meant to be played in the first place.  And she spent real money on it?

From what MIL has said she spent between $50 - 75 US on it. The Fender acoustic we are buying him is less than $200. I just don't get it!

Why bother buying used, from a thrift store, then have to have it repaired? Not to mention, she knows nothing about guitars and didn't bother to check with her son, who would have steered her another direction. You know, a starter music book, guitar picks, a stand, something.