Author Topic: Tree trimmers on NN's property . . .  (Read 4234 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Tree trimmers on NN's property . . .
« on: November 14, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »
First off, I have to laugh ::) because as luck would have it I took the day off today. I planned on sleeping in, lounging in bed reading my book this morning before I got busy.

8:00 a.m. I woke up to a back-up beeping (big truck backing in next door Noisy Neighbors house) shortly followed by a crew of men talking loudly, a generator started, the sound of chain saws . . . so much for my quiet peaceful relaxing morning!

I know, I know! I can't complain about NN for this one. In the middle of the week, after 8am, it's just my darn fool luck that I chose this day to take off! How ironic is that? LOL!

On to my question:

NN has a huge (easily 3+ stories high), beautiful oak tree in her back yard. I went out on my patio to watch the tree trimmers for a while.

In all honesty, if you've ever watched tree trimmers or a huge tree cut down (I hope they're not cutting down the whole tree!) it is a beautiful orchestration. The "monkey man*" on the tree saws off the branch where the guy on the ground guides the branch down slowly with a rope that is looped on another branch and is tied around the branch being cut. I hope that made sense.

Apparently one of the loops didn't hold well for one of the larger branches and it fell on top of NNs garage. I would say that the branch was easily 8-10 inches round and about 6 foot long, dropping from maybe 20 feet. There was a loud crunch/crash sound. Then, a while later, another smaller (but sizable) branch fell on top of the garage.

I'm wondering if I should say something to NN or should I talk to NN's landlady about what I saw just in case there is structural damage to the garage? (The garage has a peak roof and the branch fell right on the peak if that makes any difference.)

It may be that no damage was done or maybe the Tree Trimmers will be honest and give a heads-up to the landlady.

What would you do?

*calling him monkey man because of the way he climbs around the tree, jumping from one branch to the other. It is amazing to watch.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:37:58 PM by jpcher »

EmmaJ.

Re: Tree trimmers on NN's property . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »
I would definitely tell your neighbor.  If there is no damage to the garage, well then no problem.  But it would be nice knowing there was an eye witness if she has to contact the tree trimmers.

And I would be very surprised if there wasn't damage.  A tree limb of the size you describe is amazingly heavy.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:15:03 PM »
I would tell the landlady.  NN may not pass the info along to the landlady and, if it were me, I'd definitely want to know.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
I would call the landlady.  It's technically her property.  Also, I've never rented a place with trees, but isn't it the landlady who makes these appointments anyway? 

eta: I forgot to say another reason the landlady should know is because what if the roof cave in months or years later and someone gets hurt.  She could get in trouble if she was not warned.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:58:27 PM by rose red »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
I agree with letting the landlady know.  If the tree trimmers were up front, she'll appreciate that you were looking out for her interests.  If they weren't up front, you could potentially save her a lot of money.

And although you didn't ask for them, ((hugs)) for your ruined plans for your day off.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

amylouky

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 04:43:05 PM »
I would definitely tell the landlady. We had a tree removed a few years back, and didn't notice until later that there was now a large crack in our sidewalk. Of course, we couldn't prove that it was from falling limbs, as they had cleaned up all the evidence, but an eyewitness account would sure have been nice.

Pippen

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
I can assume the land lady is the one who called them to come and do the work. It would be very odd if the tenants had taken it on board to do this themselves. If they have damaged the roof they should be covered by public liability insurance and it would be a very poor show if they didn't tell her what had  happened themselves and arrange to fix it.

LEMon

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 06:59:44 PM »
I had a 'whoo, boy, hope the landlady knew about this' moment.

I would let the landlady know.  The roof can be checked right away and if there is a problem, it can be dealt with quickly.  Don't know your weather, but mine keeps thinking about raining.  All the better to check it soon.

Maude

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »
Photograph the damage.Show the NN and the landlady.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
Contact the landlady.  It is her property and she will be responsible for repairing the roof it is damaged and no one can prove it was the fault of the tree trimmers.  Also, if NN did this without the permission of the landlady (and I'm not saying she did) she should be aware of that as well.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 05:29:27 PM »
I called the landlady. She was very appreciative.

Thanks, all!

Pippen

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 06:23:56 PM »
I called the landlady. She was very appreciative.

Thanks, all!

When you called her did she know the work was being done? Had she arranged it or had the tenants. I would be mightily displeased if a tenant had arranged to have tree work done on a property I owned. There are so many cowboy aborists out there.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 07:59:05 PM »
Yes. LL arranged for the tree trimming.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 04:31:10 AM »

In all honesty, if you've ever watched tree trimmers or a huge tree cut down (I hope they're not cutting down the whole tree!) it is a beautiful orchestration. The "monkey man*" on the tree saws off the branch where the guy on the ground guides the branch down slowly with a rope that is looped on another branch and is tied around the branch being cut. I hope that made sense.

I know - it really is beautiful! I always say that at heart i am really a little 8 YO boy - i love watching tree trimmers and cranes ;D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:39 PM »
When we first moved here, a whole neighborhood was being built a couple of blocks away.  The streets were done already, so the kids went into a double stroller and we were entertained as we walked by concrete mixers, tree chippers, men in hard hats, so many trucks, and we saw so much going up on an almost daily basis!

It really was quite fascinating.  Was glad DS was only three/four years old, because I could still answer most of his questions back then.   ;D  (He is interested in studying mechanical engineering in college, almost 17 years old now.)

OP, good for letting the landlord know, and at least you were entertained when your sleep was interrupted!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.