Author Topic: Mom's Disgusting Habit  (Read 6152 times)

Lexophile

Re: Mom's Disgusting Habit
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 05:25:44 PM »
I don't know where I heard it first, but there is an old rhyme that goes:

"Better to burp the burp and bear the shame than bear the burp and bear the pain."

I would ask your mom if she's alright.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

onyonryngs

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
I don't know where I heard it first, but there is an old rhyme that goes:

"Better to burp the burp and bear the shame than bear the burp and bear the pain."

I would ask your mom if she's alright.

Oh no.  No.  This has been the argument used on me by ex-bfs.  They are ex for a reason.  Unless there is a diagnosed medical issue where someone's doctor has told them to hold it in, then they should be able to hold it in without being in too much discomfort (or whining, or discussion) until they can leave the room and take care of things in an appropriate place.  I have no patience for people who try to use that excuse.   

But it's your mother - talk to her.  You should be able to have these sorts of talks with your parents. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 06:00:34 PM »
For me, it can be very uncomfortable to hold them in.   

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »
It's very uncomfortable and many times impossible to hold it in. If this is really different for her, ask if she's okay.   

Itza

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
I have found that my diet really makes a difference!

Oh yes, so true! When my DH is doing the cooking, he's learn the appropriate amount of onion to cook so that I don't cause us to have an unpleasant evening and overrule the morning alarm on his iPhone.

www.opendiary.com/hear_me
Disclaimer: Not for the faint hearted

Mikayla

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »

"Gesundheit!"
That is what i say to ...erm, someone ... and the dogs :) when they do that.

Haha!  My BIL has a long term problem with this and he tries to be polite, but when that fails and guests are over, he blames it on the dog.  "Belle...how could you?!?"

OP, would it be possible to establish safe zones?  It would probably be unfair to expect her to go out back in freezing cold when she needs to rip one off, but maybe the dinner table might be a good place to start.  (This might by own training coming into play, but that was the one place where my parents did not smile when it happened).  In fact, they had a zero tolerance policy on it.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »
A beloved great aunt of mine developed serious medical problems later in life that caused her to be quite gassy.  It got worse depending on what she ate.  We learned not to dwell on it because she couldn't help it.  It just came at random moments and she was usually unable to tell when it would happen.

OP, I would suggest a private, gentle conversation with your mom to ask about any health issues.  If she says she was trying to be funny then you could say "Well, I don't find it funny.  It's pretty awful.".

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »
What's the point on dwelling on it? IF it's not deliberate, it's simply a fact of life.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
Someone I was close to had  gallbladder problems. He delighted in the habit (details in 'Grossout' thread? Nah.) He was the typical 'Fair, Fat, Forty' profile for the desease.

Anyway, he had the surgery and dropped few ingredients from his diet, and all is well. (Dairy, wheat, oats.)

Not medical advice, just a thought.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 09:03:36 PM »
What's the point on dwelling on it? IF it's not deliberate, it's simply a fact of life.

Pod.  I also have to wonder, OP, why you are embarrassed for her when she isn't embarrassed herself?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

AuntyEm

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 07:34:24 AM »
I was having great abdominal distress daily until my stepmother mentioned that my late father developed lactose intolerance later in life.  I immediately stopped the milk/cream products and haven't had a problem since her visit 2 months ago. It has really changed my life.  It's possible your mother has developed a condition that she may not be aware of.   

crella

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 10:41:36 PM »
This thread reminds me of an old joke..

An elderly woman goes to her doctor for a checkup. While there, she mentions that she has noticed that lately, her farts are completely odorless and silent. In fact, she's passed several of them during the appointment!
Her doc nods knowingly, and writes her a prescription. At her next appointment, he asks how it worked.
"Oh, horribly, doctor!" she complains. "Now when I pass gas, it is still silent but the smell is just awful!"
Her doc nods, and says, "Great. We've got your sense of smell fixed.. now let's work on your hearing!"

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I thought of it, but then saw that you'd beaten me to it...

MIL started breaking wind wherever in her 70's. It often happens when walking, it seems that she just can't hold it in any more. At dinner would aggravate me, I have to admit, but perhaps she can't help it.