A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

What does 'Holiday/s' mean?

<< < (6/6)

oz diva:

--- Quote from: cabbageweevil on November 18, 2012, 02:34:33 AM ---
--- Quote from: marcel on November 16, 2012, 09:26:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: cabbageweevil on November 16, 2012, 10:34:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: oz diva on November 15, 2012, 09:02:28 PM ---A funny off topic story for you. When my niece was a baby her family lived in Mozambique. One day her Dad took her for a walk and they met another Dad and his baby. "What is your baby's name?" asked the man "Jessie" said my BIL. The man roared with laughter because a jessie is a jersey or sweater over there. "Well" said my BIL "what is your son's name?" "Cupoftea" said the man.  ;D

--- End quote ---

The word with the "j" -- in those parts, shouldn't it be "malha" (Portuguese)? (Just being a smart-alec  :) )

--- End quote ---
Mocambicuens do also borrow from other languages. First of all, their own languages off course, (I remember até Mudzungu, instead of até amanha) but also borrowed words from other languages.

I remember all the little stands selling cigarettes and such, also all selling chuinga. I never bought it, and had no idea what it was for several months, until I finaly pronounced it one day.

--- End quote ---
Marcel, so you've been to Mozambique? I never have; but it's always struck me as a fascinating place.  Not big on the worldwide tourist circuit -- but probably that has been largely due to prolonged bad times. Maybe that will change? ...we can hope...

--- End quote ---
I've never been either, my sister lived there for 18 months during the war. She worked on an aid project in the North. She returned 15 or so years later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version