Author Topic: RSVP a dying art?  (Read 1262 times)

Katana_Geldar

RSVP a dying art?
« on: November 04, 2012, 05:51:43 PM »
I really hope not.

I'm currently planning my wedding, but even before I dealt with this with my role playing game group, mainly people not turning up and not saying anything about not turning up. We met every other week, on saturday mornings and I was running the game but we did have one or two people who just wouldn't show and didn't tell. They didn't realise that if enough people don't turn up (even the ones that tell me) affects what the rest of us will do. We might do something else or we might decide not to meet up at all. And I had given my phone number to all of people so it really wasn't that hard to let me know...

But the worst was a friend who didn't tell me he had been called into work the night before. There I was turning up at his house at 7.30am saturday and got his Mum out of bed in her bathrobe! He made excuses, saying that it was late that night and it was too late to tell me but it wasn't. I've had texts at 2am and at least I would have known not to stop by and get his Mum out of bed!

Myself, I am rather good with RSVPs. I reply in the same manner it was given, and let the host know in a reasonable timeframe if I am unable to attend, and it's usually because of illness or other commitments. Is it really so hard?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: RSVP a dying art?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »
RSVP-ing has ALWAYS been on the critical list.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: RSVP a dying art?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:47:06 PM »
I recently got married and didn't have too much trouble with RSVPs, so don't stress too much - I think the more formal the event the more likely people are to realise the importance of hte RSVP.  A casual party is more at risk.

The story tells us "the survey found email, text messaging or telling the host in person were the next most popular RSVP methods" and I think that is very important to bear in mind.  While I do it, I hate with an absolute passion calling to RSVP.  Especially if its a stranger (like for a shower or whatever, where maybe I don't know the host).  I just really am uncomfortable making phone calls - I hardly call my family or even my best friend!

I think the easier you make it to RSVP the more responses you will get.  For example once in a while a couple will include RSVP cards & envelopes but not pre-postage them.  Well... they are kinda asking for it IMO.  Not entirely - a guest should still take it on themselves to RSVP - but the host is ensuring at least some people won't have stamps, won't notice, won't remember, etc.