Author Topic: Thanksgiving dessert ideas  (Read 3662 times)

AstiTheWestie

Thanksgiving dessert ideas
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:11:54 AM »
Good Morning All!

I am in charge of making dessert for Thanksgiving dinner. I want to veer from the expected. And ideas to knock people's socks off?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Thanksgiving dessert ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »
Are you the only one bringing dessert?  If not, veer as much as you want.  If you ARE, however, not bringing pumpkin pie or apple crisp, or some other traditional dessert, others may feel like they're missing something important on Thanksgiving.  I can't imagine Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »
Ah, good point there. I did not even think of that angle. I *am* the only dessert-bringer. Hmmmm. May have to rethink this ...

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:54:41 AM »
If your family usually have the traditional pumpkin pie, maybe twist it up with pumpkin cheesecake.  Or some type of pie, cookies, or cake with pumpkin ice cream. 

O'Dell

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 10:12:55 AM »
What about little mini-pies with different fillings? Some traditional and some new. No recipes...just tossing the idea out there. :)
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »
Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle.

I keep meaning to make this but seem to forget during the planning process.  One of these years.
The days are long but the years are short.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I like the trifle idea. I do have a gorgeous trifle bowl I can use! And I can still have the pumpkin thing going on ...

Rohanna

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »
I would bring 2 pies- one pumpkin for tradition, and one completely different. If you don't bring the "tradition" on a holiday without notice- rightly or wrongly some people will automatically resent the "new" item.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
I'm doing an apple pie, a blueberry pie and mini-strawberry cheesecakes.

Definitely do something traditional, but something a bit different is also a good thing.

CakeBeret

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »
Salted Caramel Cheesecake
http://themodernapron.blogspot.com/2011/09/desserts-salted-caramel-cheesecake.html

It's not difficult and is a pretty impressive dessert

I would also do a traditional pumpkin pie in addition.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Maggie

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »
I make a two ingredient cake that is really easy.  It's one can of pumpkin puree and one cake mix.  Mix thoroughly and bake the length of time the box says.  Combine 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, 3 Tablespoons apple cider and 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.  Glaze should be thick but pourable.  Add more sugar or cider if needed.  Pour over the cake while still warm.  Reserve some to pour over each slice when served.  OR you can poke holes in it when it is done and pour a n can of Eagle Brand over it and then frost with cool whip.  I boiled the can of Eagle Brand for three hours and made a caramel with it, poured that over it and spread it out then frosted with cool whip.  People that don't even like pumpkin loved it. 

Kaypeep

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
No one in my family likes pumpkin pie.  It never gets eaten.  I'd ask the host if the know of any preferences (yay or nay) on that before bringing it.

I'm also a firm believer in you can't go wrong with chocolate.

Mikayla

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 12:16:34 PM »
I make a two ingredient cake that is really easy.  It's one can of pumpkin puree and one cake mix.  Mix thoroughly and bake the length of time the box says.  Combine 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, 3 Tablespoons apple cider and 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.  Glaze should be thick but pourable.  Add more sugar or cider if needed.  Pour over the cake while still warm.  Reserve some to pour over each slice when served.  OR you can poke holes in it when it is done and pour a n can of Eagle Brand over it and then frost with cool whip.  I boiled the can of Eagle Brand for three hours and made a caramel with it, poured that over it and spread it out then frosted with cool whip.  People that don't even like pumpkin loved it.

This sounds awesome!  On the bolded, I assume that's just canned pumpkin?  Also, what kind of cake did you use?   The version with the caramelized Eagle Brand and whipped cream sounds amazing. 

Maggie

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »

A butter cake mix is the best.  I have made it with both yellow and butter cake mixes and the butter cake is much much better.  The one with the Eagle Brand caramel also had caramel drizzled on top but I left that part off.  I was afraid it would be just a little to much.  If you need help on boiling the can of Eagle Brand let me know.