Author Topic: Thanksgiving dessert ideas  (Read 3572 times)

NyaChan

Re: Thanksgiving dessert ideas
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 01:22:15 PM »

CakeBeret

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
Salted Caramel Cheesecake
http://themodernapron.blogspot.com/2011/09/desserts-salted-caramel-cheesecake.html

:o  Where have  you been all my life???   :o

I've made it twice, to rave reviews each time. It is so good, it's unholy LOL.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 02:09:02 PM »
We only have pecan pie, because only Gran and I like pumpkin.  :( If I had my way, we'd have both, but Gran makes them from scratch, crust and all, so I can see why it's a pain to her.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »
We only have pecan pie, because only Gran and I like pumpkin.  :( If I had my way, we'd have both, but Gran makes them from scratch, crust and all, so I can see why it's a pain to her.

Violinp, not to derail the thread, but making a pumpkin pie is pretty basic and if Gran is making a crust for one pie, most crust recipes are easily doubled if not already making two crusts.  Maybe get Gran to leave a ball of the crust in the fridge for you and you can make the pumpkin pie filling at home.  Then when you arrive, you can roll out the dough, fill the pie with your premade filling and it can be baking while dinner is being served. 

But back to recipe suggestions, I took this Caramel Pecan Pie Cheesecake to a pot luck in September and it was very well received.  I did add some bourbon to the pecan filling.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Caramel-Pecan-Cheesecake-Pie

If you want to do something pumpkin other than pie, Foodnetwork has some good pumpkin creme brulee.

For a layer cake, we like to have Hummingbird Cake for Tday occasionally.

gingerzing

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 03:47:03 PM »
Probably not exactly what you are going for, but DH decided that we would bring the desserts.  (I am sure someone else will bring something as well.)
We have a pumpkin pie (will be picking up the Cool Whip this weekend) and he HAD to get the Trader Joe's pumpkin cheesecake.   Fine.

Last year my mother did a Thanksgiving meal of all tapas (small plate sized) dishes.  She had some crazy things going on.  She ended with pumpkin tarts, gingerbread, brownies, & Orange Tiramisu.  But she also had 3 different Granitas in between course. 
Of course, last year was the year that we weren't able to make it down.   
Le Sigh.  :'(

doodlemor

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 04:18:48 PM »
Mmmmmmm-mmmm!  Such lovely suggestions already!

My personal dessert rule is *something chocolate, and something not [chocolate].*

Here is a link to my favorite flourless chocolate "cake" recipe.  It is extremely easy, freezes well, and is luscious.  It easily serves 12, too, as it is rich and also rather filling due to the protein in the eggs. 

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/La-Bete-Noire-235831

I always melt the chocolate with the butter or cream in the microwave.  Just nuke it carefully a bit at a time until the chocolate melts, whisking frequently.

CakeBeret

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »
Looks delicious! I always appreciate flourless dessert recipes, as my mom is gluten-free.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

wheeitsme

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
pear gingerbread trifle.

I poach the pears in champagne or white wine (but regular sugar syrup would work as well) with a little cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.  Make gingerbread (boxed is fine, but I like to add a little extra fresh ginger).  Chop it all up.  Layer in several layers with vanilla cream mixed with a little fresh whipped cream. Decorate with fresh whipped cream.

You can make a large trifle, or individual ones.

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »
I am making pecan pie, pumpkin cheesecake and something chocolate.  I LOVE pumpkin pie, but most other people in my family don't, so I am doing the cheesecake instead (which everyone likes, go figure!).

doodlemor

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 05:03:44 PM »
Looks delicious! I always appreciate flourless dessert recipes, as my mom is gluten-free.

This would work well for your mom, then.  It really is very easy.  It takes me longer to line the pan three times - but very important - than it does to mix the thing together.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »
I agree that if there is a usual dessert (pumpkin pie, pecan pie) then you should make at least one of those, and then add a new recipe.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 07:45:40 AM »
Awesome suggestions!

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »
I agree that if there is a usual dessert (pumpkin pie, pecan pie) then you should make at least one of those, and then add a new recipe.

Pumpkin Pecan Pie? Link: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pecan-Pumpkin-Pie-108774
The days are long but the years are short.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »
Ok. Decided to go with Pecan Pumpkin Pie *and* little individual chocolate bundt cakes with a raspberry compote, drizzled with white chocolate and garnished with raspberries and fresh mint. This way I can go crazy creatively, and still keep some pumpkin element for the die-hards. Sound good?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 01:25:58 PM »
Pecan pumpking pie sounds delicious for pumpkin fans.  And if I were a guest, I would try to steal a second bundt cake  ;).  Chocolate, raspberry, and mint.  Yum!