Author Topic: Thanksgiving dessert ideas  (Read 3669 times)

AstiTheWestie

Re: Thanksgiving dessert ideas
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »
All I need to know! I will save one for you!  :D

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »
For anybody else who still looking for dessert ideas, I found a recipe for something called crack pie: cookie crust and a filling of butter, sugar, eggs and cream. It turns out gooey like the filling on a pecan pie and is unbelievable.

Lynnv

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 07:00:31 PM »
First of all-I am a chronic overcooker for holidays.  My holiday planning usually goes like this:

1) Plan a menu.
2) Decide something is missing and add 3 new items to the menu.
3)  Go over it with DH. DH reminds me that 10 people don't need a turkey and a ham and 4 different vegetable options.  Remove 4 or 5 items from the menu.
4) Look at it again and decide it just isn't enough food and add back 2 of the items previously removed.
5) Actual cooking and holiday meal.
6) Start telling people that they HAVE to take something home with them.  DH and I (even with the cat's help) cannot eat all of the leftovers.  Glare at sister when she says "Oh, I would have to leave you short."  She knows better, but she thinks it is funny (every year) that I am such a bad overcooker.

So take anything I say with a grain of salt or three:

When I am doing desserts, I always make something that is traditional (usually pumpkin pie and pecan pie), something fruity (usually either an apple or a cherry pie) and something else (like a chocolate cream pie, lemon merinuge or a cheesecake or carrot cake).  We invariably have more dessert than we need.  But DH and my mom love pecan pie (and I am pretty fond of it).  Sis's boyfriend and oldest child love pumpkin pie (and I like it too).  My sister loves cherry pie and is very fond of apple.  And I like to try something a little out of the ordinary for the holiday.    We have, on occasion, ended up with a ratio of 1 dessert for every 2 people.   Which is why people are not allowed out of my house at the holidays without taking some sort of leftovers with them.  :>
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
Lynnv - you are like my soul sister. I, too, seriously over-cook/bake/do. I plan menus and then add to it because it will "never" be "enough". So then guests take home enough food for a week and we have food for a week! At least! But I would rather have too much than not enough. This year we are going to the in-law's, so it is not even a matter of menu planning ... sheesh!

Rohanna

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
My husband is like this- I am constantly whittling down his holiday menu plans because he dislikes more than one day of leftovers and I dislike wasted food even more!
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

CakeBeret

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »
Lynnv, you sound just like me. This year I'm cooking for 5 adults and 2 toddlers. I'm making a 13lb turkey, 4 vegetable dishes, 2 potato dishes, a double batch of dressing, and rolls. And I have a justification for each and every dish. ;)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 02:53:34 PM »
Ok, OP here with the update. I did make individual chocolate bundt cakes with fresh raspberries and fresh mint, and pecan pumpkin pie. Everything looked gorgeous! Husband tried both desserts and he said the pie was a little too sweet for him (pumpkin pie on the bottom, pecan pie on top basically, so, yeah) but the chocolate bundt cakes were the runaway hit. I think the fresh raspberries put them over the edge. Thanks to all!

kckgirl

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »
For AstiTheWestie: Do you think the cakes would be good with strawberries instead of raspberries? I really, really don't like raspberries, but chocolate is a hit for dessert at all times in my house!
Maryland

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 09:02:51 AM »
For AstiTheWestie: Do you think the cakes would be good with strawberries instead of raspberries? I really, really don't like raspberries, but chocolate is a hit for dessert at all times in my house!

Oh, absolutely! Chocolate and strawberries? Oh yeah. I would even make it with cherries (cherry pie filling).

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »
I must've missed the recipe for the chocolate bundt cakes.  Can someone point me to the post #?  Thanks!  They sound so yummy!  And we love raspberries!  :)

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2012, 01:32:13 PM »
I must've missed the recipe for the chocolate bundt cakes.  Can someone point me to the post #?  Thanks!  They sound so yummy!  And we love raspberries!  :)

All I did was use a recipe for a basic chocolate pound cake and bake them in mini bundt cake pans. You can certainly even use your favorite chocolate cake mix as well. I did add some almond extract to make the flavor pop as well!