Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Party Parameters, updated page 1

<< < (2/4) > >>

WillyNilly:
Of course you are fine with making "Molly Rules".  I get why you have to invite her - you are hosting but you are hosting to honor Ben, whom will be staying with Josh, so you really have to invite Ben's (& to a lesser extent, Josh's) friends - its just one of those things within social groups.  But you do not have to let her crash, nor do you have to babysit her or provide her with anything above the invitation.

I do think if you think she might really fall in the pool to have a plan.  You don't need to tell anyone (except your DH) what your plan is, but still just be prepared so you aren't caught out.  I would suggest either: 1. She has to leave immediately or 2. have an old, large towel on hand.  Offer to allow her to run her clothes through your laundry dryer (a round through the washer's spin cycle first to get much of the water out would speed things up), and she can wrap the towel around herself while she waits for them to dry. I'm sure there are other ideas I'm not thinking of as well, the point is know how you will handle a bad situation, so when it happens you aren't put on the spot and pressured into something you aren't comfortable with.

Harriet Jones:
What about getting a inexpensive less-than-attractive outfit from a thrift store for her to change into after she accidentally falls into your pool.  Then you won't have worry about her returning something of yours.

Chivewarrior:

--- Quote from: Flydell North on November 16, 2012, 09:23:03 PM ---What about getting a inexpensive less-than-attractive outfit from a thrift store for her to change into after she accidentally falls into your pool.  Then you won't have worry about her returning something of yours.
--- End quote ---
This is far more trouble than she should have to go to for someone who routinely misbehaves, and is far beyond the call of etiquette.

Harriet Jones:

--- Quote from: Chivewarrior on November 16, 2012, 10:01:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Flydell North on November 16, 2012, 09:23:03 PM ---What about getting a inexpensive less-than-attractive outfit from a thrift store for her to change into after she accidentally falls into your pool.  Then you won't have worry about her returning something of yours.
--- End quote ---
This is far more trouble than she should have to go to for someone who routinely misbehaves, and is far beyond the call of etiquette.

--- End quote ---

Possibly.  I'd find it a little amusing, though, to have a guest who routinely "accidentally" falls into the pool have to change into a $1 muu-muu.

blarg314:

I'd be tempted to go with "I'm not inviting Molly because she has repeatedly demonstrated that she is unable to behave at my home. " and let the blowout happen. If her friends complained, I'd respond with "If someone else wants to host the party and deal with her behaviour, they can." I don't want to have to deal with trouble makers when I'm hosting a party, and if they are friends with a trouble maker who will flip out if her actions have consequences, that's not my problem.

If you do invite her, though, I'd tell Josh point blank that when Molly starts acting out, he is responsible for tidying her up and taking her away, even if it means he has to miss the party.  And *you*, not he, makes the call.

The thing that would really worry me though is if she drives to the party. Because if you don't let her sleep off the alcohol, she sounds like the type who would then say "Fine. If you won't let me sleep over, I'll have to drive home anyways."  Then, of course, you have to decide between wrestling the car keys away from her physically, or calling the cops on her, neither of which can be considered low drama.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version