Author Topic: Pearl rings - REALLY glad I decided to sleep on it - p. 14  (Read 3367 times)

AylaM

Pearl rings - REALLY glad I decided to sleep on it - p. 14
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »
Ok, a stupid question, which is why I wanted to ask it here before I ask it in the store.

Went into a store today to find a replacement ring for my mother.  While there I saw a ring that I wanted.  I'd been saving up for a class ring (I graduate in a month!) and had pretty much decided not to buy one as all I can think of was that the prices were so high now and I wouldn't even want to wear it in 5 years.

Then I saw this ring with pearls and some sort of shiny gems.  Dunno what they are and don't care, but it was a Zales so I'm assuming it was tiny diamonds.  It was pre-owned so it won't come with a warranty.  But at 50% off it fell down into the budget I had set for my class ring.

I'm sort of scared to get it.  I don't know how pearls are set, but looking at it it doesn't look secure.  I am very...unaware...when moving.  I scrape by walls and corners constantly.  I wear watches on the inside of my wrist just so the screen doesn't get too scratched to read.

I'm afraid to spend so much on a ring that might break easily.  Does anyone have any knowledge of how secure pearls tend to be in ring setting?  I assume that it will stand up to daily wear and tear.  But what about clipping corners somewhat regularly?

Does anyone have any experience with pearl rings?  Who can reassure me or warn me off?

the ring:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:04:28 PM by KayMarie »

bonyk

Re: Pearl rings and will I break it?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I know you shouldn't wear pearls in the shower.  They'll dissolve.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »
Pearls are usually set on a post - the pearl is drilled, then glued (think Araldite) onto the post. 

I've got quite a bit of pearl jewellery from my Vegas trip - it is beautiful, but I don't wear it much.  Like you, I'm a bit afraid of damaging it.

The care instructions I received were to never wash with the pearls on, to always remove them when showering, washing hands etc.  And cleaning the jewellery it is recommended to use a special pearl cleaning solution.  As I tend to wear my rings etc 24/7, this doesn't really work for me, so the pearls are only put on for special occasions.

If you really want the ring, get it and love it, it is beautiful.  But you may want to save it for special occasions, especially if you're like me and a bit klutzy.  And turn the pearls into the palm side of your hand when walking around!   :D 

If you want something you can wear all day, every day, you may want to keep looking for something else that appeals and is a bit more forgiving.

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:58:27 PM »
Pearls are quite delicate.

http://bemypearl.com/pearl-care.html

They do scratch and dent easily. I am not sure about natural pearls, but I had a cultured pearl ring that was pretty much the pearl glued to the setting. I ended up ripping the bulk of the pearl off, the pearl coating just peeled away at the place where it was glued. That wasn't a super expensive ring though, and I am sure quality would matter.

That ring is beautiful btw.

figee

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:06:13 PM »
I've always been told to avoid pearls in rings because they just don't handle the beating that rings tend to get.  I'm afraid it won't last.

Having said that, if you love the ring, buy the ring.  And then if you want something you can wear every day, you've already discovered how much cheaper second hand jewellery is, so have a think about hunting down a nice 1920s art deco piece.... (if you like that style).

miritree

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 07:06:54 PM »
I know nothing about pearls, but I LOVE that ring!

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »
I love pearls and I actually have a few pieces of jewelry that have them.  Here's the thing about pearls though...they're a 2 1/2 to 4 on Moh's Hardness Scale.  For reference, here's a guide:

So depending on your particular pearls' hardness it could be anywhere from being easily scratched to being a little bit harder to scratch.  You also shouldn't wash with them on as it could damage the lustre (shininess of the pearl) and you should always avoid putting anything on them like hand soap, fragrance, hair spray and lotion as this can also damage the pearl.  I had a lovely South Sea pearl necklace and I made the mistake of putting perfume on my chest and it completely destroyed my pearl.  So since you mentioned scraping against walls and being unaware of your hands that I wouldn't really recommend a pearl ring for you.

If you really love pearls than I would recommend starting with a pearl necklace as they tend to take less of a beating then your hands.  Hope this helps!

Also, here's a general guide to caring for pearl jewelry.  http://www.theartofmakingjewelry.com/pearl-necklace.html

Maggie

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »
I am going to differ with lots of people.  I think if you want it you should have it.  I have a pearl ring that I have worn every day for the last 3 years and I love that ring.  I know that I will need to replace the pearl someday but really it's not that hard to do or at least with mine not even that expensive.  I say go for it!

Amara

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 08:11:18 PM »
I know almost nothing about pearls either, but that ring is gorgeous. Get it. You can save it for special occasions, but you'll never regret having something you love now.

AylaM

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 08:25:01 PM »
I've been looking into it since I've started the post and I'm leaning towards still getting the ring.  So thank you for the information and links.  I'm at least going back to the store tomorrow to talk about it.  I want to get in before the weekend, just in case.  I just wanted a little background knowledge before going in there.  The lady I was talking to about mom's ring kept trying to steer me towards diamonds instead and I was hesitant to try going in without a little bit of knowledge on the subject.

Upside: I can't afford their other jewelry so worries about being swayed towards something else!

If I get it, I'll try wearing it semi-regularly and if I notice than I'm not being careful with it I'll reserve it for special occasion.

Its a cultured fw pearl ring, so should it become necessary its not too expensive to replace the pearl. It seems in comparison to the ring itself the pearls are not worth so much, so after looking at that, I'm not feeling too bad about it.  I once spent more that the replacement cost at walmart when I went in for shampoo.  I wish I couldn't say that, but it is true.  Thinking about it that way makes me feel quite a bit better.

Also,  I figure I'll get used to it in time may not feel a pressing need to wear it daily anyways.  Rings are the only jewelry I can wear with any regularity, so maybe another cheaper one will catch my eye and the specialness of "new ring!" may wear off.  I have never really indulged in buying myself jewelry before, so maybe I'll be on the look out for a cheaper, sturdier ring to wear daily.  So then I can save it for special occasions anyways.

If all else fails: Two years back my grandmother gave me a ring for Christmas.  I hated it, then.  The stone was too big for my liking.  I never got it resized, but she asked about it last month, so I dug it out of its hidey-hole.  It's grown on me (ha!).  So I'm getting it resized.  If I do decide to stop wearing the pearl ring, I an always wear that one.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:45:53 PM by KayMarie »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 08:46:37 PM »
Very pretty ring.  Before buying, ask them the following info on quality

Are the pearls freshwater, Akoya, tahitian... Because the quality will really impact the wear.  And ask them how it was set.  I think I found the same ring at zales online for $165 and there it says they are glued and freshwater.

It's been a while since purchasing pearl jewelry but that price seemed high for freshwater pearls set in
Sterling silver.

AylaM

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out.

My assumption is that the price isn't so much for the pearls as it is for the diamonds. 

I'll ask a bout it, I just looked at the online store and didn't see the same ring, but saw some with similar qualities. And a relatively cheap pearl ring with no diamonds and rose gold.  I might buy that so that I can wear that pearl (I love the look of pearls) regularly without feeling bad and save my other ring for dressing up (if I get it).

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »
Why not talk to the people at the store about it, how durable it would be for every day use, how securely the pearls are mounted, etc.  It looks to me like a ring you would wear for dressy stuff and not an everyday ring. You may find it would work fine for you, or may want to look for something else that will be more durable.
The bottom line, though, is if you love the ring, want the ring and can wear it within it's limitations, why not get it?  I agree with others, though, keep it dry.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

AylaM

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »
I'm glad I posted here.

The ring Hmmmmm found is similar to the one I found in the store.  I found that picture of the 'my' ring on another comparison shopping website.  The price on that site is about the same as the store was offering, but the site no longer offers it.  The ring Hmmmmm posted is also on that site and is accurately priced as a new ring.  Assuming 'my' ring on that site was also new I'm wondering if the store is trying to rip me off:  why is the store selling the used ring at the full asking price and calling it 50% off?

I expect a little cushioning on the asking price, but if they fully doubled the price just to get more money when it is on sale I'll be pissed.

I was assuming the ring was white gold as opposed to silver because of the price (I planned to check all this before purchase, worry not).  And my knowledge on how the diamonds affect price is not so great.

Now I'm hoping the previous owner upgraded it or something.  Tahitian pearls and higher quality metal?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:48:01 PM by KayMarie »