Author Topic: Retirement Slide Show & Facebook  (Read 1074 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Retirement Slide Show & Facebook
« on: December 06, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »
Two people from my department are retiring and the work party is Monday -- at the office during lunch. My Boss asked me this morning if I would be able to put together a slide show set to music* that will run (loop) during the party.

I asked CWs to help me gather pictures. Several CWs have photos of the retirees hanging on their wall that were scanned and we dug through company publications for photos of the retirees participating in company events.

One CW said that she was Friends with both retirees on Facebook and she could download quite a few photos to use in the slide show. She said that there were photos of them with their spouses, them doing hobby activities, etc. and felt that these types of photos should be included.

Do you think it would be okay to include the Facebook photos on this type of slide show?

Side question:

*As far as the music -- as luck would have it Retiree#1 (R#1) jokingly played "Happy Trails" this morning and I said "Oh! I need that song!" and made up a story about my parents friends moving away. R#1 made a copy of his CD (it's a mix) and told me that it's all of his (oldies) favorite songs.

I thought Great! I can use this whole CD to play in the background.

But then I thought would R#2 be offended because it's all of R#1's music and none of hers? (even though they're the same age, some of his favorite music from the past might coincide with some of her favorites?)

I really don't have time to find out R#2's favorite songs and put a mix together combining both retirees.

I think I'll just go with R#1's CD as background music and hope that R#2 won't be offended. . . or should I just go with generic "elevator music?"

Lynnv

Re: Retirement Slide Show & Facebook
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »
Two people from my department are retiring and the work party is Monday -- at the office during lunch. My Boss asked me this morning if I would be able to put together a slide show set to music* that will run (loop) during the party.

I asked CWs to help me gather pictures. Several CWs have photos of the retirees hanging on their wall that were scanned and we dug through company publications for photos of the retirees participating in company events.

One CW said that she was Friends with both retirees on Facebook and she could download quite a few photos to use in the slide show. She said that there were photos of them with their spouses, them doing hobby activities, etc. and felt that these types of photos should be included.

Do you think it would be okay to include the Facebook photos on this type of slide show?

Side question:

*As far as the music -- as luck would have it Retiree#1 (R#1) jokingly played "Happy Trails" this morning and I said "Oh! I need that song!" and made up a story about my parents friends moving away. R#1 made a copy of his CD (it's a mix) and told me that it's all of his (oldies) favorite songs.

I thought Great! I can use this whole CD to play in the background.

But then I thought would R#2 be offended because it's all of R#1's music and none of hers? (even though they're the same age, some of his favorite music from the past might coincide with some of her favorites?)

I really don't have time to find out R#2's favorite songs and put a mix together combining both retirees.

I think I'll just go with R#1's CD as background music and hope that R#2 won't be offended. . . or should I just go with generic "elevator music?"

Generically, I would find this uncomfortable, as they posted those photos for their friends, not for everyone on earth to see.  However, is this intended to be a surprise?

If yes-I might call their spouse and ask them, in confidence, if they thought the retirees would be okay with it.
If no-I would just ask them directly.

As far as the music, I would use the one song you asked for, but would stick to something pretty bland and inoffensive for the rest, as everyone will have to listen to it-not just the retirees.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »
I wouldn't use the facebook pictures without permission.  Since this will be a surprise they should not be used. 

sourwolf

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 07:06:35 PM »
I would 100% not use the Facebook pictures.  They were posted for FB, not for their coworkers.  I would be very upset if someone decided to use pictures of mine without permission.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
I would ask their spouses or friends to send some photos, but I wouldn't take them off facebook. I'm not so sure I can articulate why though.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 07:43:46 PM »
Lynnv pretty much said what I was thinking.

I'm going to amend her comment (for my view on it) as absolutely NO on the FB pics.  And just the 1 song and then generic for the music.

BarensMom

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 08:18:47 PM »
Only use the work pictures - don't risk offending them by using the personal pictures from FB.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 08:34:57 PM »
Thanks for your responses.

I told CW "NO" to the facebook photos, but she was pretty adamant about using them, so I was second-guessing myself.

There is no time to contact spouses. This is pretty much a hurry-up project (much to my chagrin ::)) so I will use only what is available through work-photos.

Thanks for backing me up.

Still not sure what to do with the music. Going with R#1's CD will be the easiest and less time consuming (I haven't heard the whole CD yet) . . . and, yes, this is a surprise. Which is very difficult since R#1 lives in the next cube over to me, so privacy is tricky.