Author Topic: to tip or not - a traveling gourmet  (Read 3421 times)

learningtofly

Re: to tip or not - a traveling gourmet
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »
No need to tip.  This is easy money for the restaurant.  At this point they know what sells and what doesn't.  The have an appointed round so they plan carefully to save time and gas.  And they're selling to people who might not leave the office for lunch and therefore wouldn't have been their customers.  If she was coming to your office to personally bring you something I would tip.  But to set up in the lunch room for 20 minutes, it's not necessary.

Like a lot of places we have sushi once a week.  It's cheaper than a restaurant, but more expensive than the supermarket.  The company allows it because we stay in for lunch and this restaurant sells out of almost everything they bring.  I get quality sushi without having to shop around.  Win for everyone, but no tip for prepackaged sushi.

noydb

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 02:49:17 PM »
Okay, seems a fairly good consensus -- no tip required, maybe an occasional 'keep the change'.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
I was going to say no tipping necessary, but you made me think about it.  I believe I would tip her.  Even though it's kind of like going up to a deli counter and getting something ready made that is just on the shelf, you don't have to leave your office to get lunch or a snack, so it may be worth it, especially at this inclement time of year. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cheyne

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 10:23:13 PM »
I disagree.  With your update the lady works for the restaurant.  I would give her the change.  If you are already spending $7.36 for a sandwich, what's the difference in giving her the 64 cents?  I do the same at Starbucks (not that I get to go there often) or other counter service-type establishments, what's the difference here?

If you order breakfast and lunch and the total is over $10. a buck wouldn't be out of the question either IMO.