Author Topic: Who's putting the mini liquor bottles on my car? Update post #35  (Read 10950 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Who's putting the mini liquor bottles on my car?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »
Are these assigned spots?  The easiest solution might just be to park farther in back.

But either way I agree with all that you should report this to management.  I also agree I wouldn't think it was the car owner doing this to their own car if I ever saw it, I'd think it was vandalism.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »
I was really hoping someone was lining up full mini bottles on the hood of your car, like your own personal roving minibar, a gift from a secret admirer in lieu of a dozen roses!

MOM21SON

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 08:55:49 PM »
I was really hoping someone was lining up full mini bottles on the hood of your car, like your own personal roving minibar, a gift from a secret admirer in lieu of a dozen roses!

And I was hoping it was the same person that keeps putting Archway cookies in my shopping cart when I am not looking. 

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 10:43:36 PM »
Is the this assigned parking?  I'd be worried that someone knows which car belongs to which apartment, and is "marking" you car to see if it moves.  If the status of your car doesn't change for a few days, they assume that you are on vacation and then break into your home.

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 10:45:19 PM »
I'd go to building management.  It might only result in a notice, but they may start paying more attention to what people are doing in the parking garage.

I would *always* assume that it was put there by some hanyak.

EEE!  You're the only person besides my family I've ever heard use the word hanyak!!!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
Is the this assigned parking?  I'd be worried that someone knows which car belongs to which apartment, and is "marking" you car to see if it moves.  If the status of your car doesn't change for a few days, they assume that you are on vacation and then break into your home.

LOL - funny how things can be so opposite sometimes - to my mind a car being unmoved for days means the owner is home, the sign the owner was away was if the vehicle was gone. I can go 2-3 weeks without needing to drive anywhere - I take public transportation to work, and tend to shop within walking distance of my home, and if I'm going out socially as often as not I want to drink, so I walk, take public transportation or a cab.

SleepIsabella

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 11:05:30 PM »
Along with what many others have said, I'd like to suggest, if possible, to place a hidden camera/dash cam somewhere and use the video evidence to catch the culprit(if you're parked in a blind spot for the security camera that is, if one is there at all).

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 11:26:25 PM »
I'd go to building management.  It might only result in a notice, but they may start paying more attention to what people are doing in the parking garage.

EEE!  You're the only person besides my family I've ever heard use the word hanyak!!!

My mother used to call me and my brothers hanyaks all the time!

Mostly my brothers.  :)

Rohanna

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 12:20:04 AM »
Ask the building management if you can park your car in a different spot for a day or two. If the littering/vandalism follows it- someone has a problem with you, and it's not just the spot.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »

it's in the Urban Dictionary--my father used it all the time, and NOBODY that I knew outside my family had ever heard it. All the online sources (that I saw today when I went to look up how it is spelled) said it is of Polish origin.

jmarvellous

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »

it's in the Urban Dictionary--my father used it all the time, and NOBODY that I knew outside my family had ever heard it. All the online sources (that I saw today when I went to look up how it is spelled) said it is of Polish origin.

Finishing the off-topic aside, I read it and said to myself, "Oh, that's surely a Polish derogatory term!" even though I didn't directly recognize it. Now I'm wondering if someone in my mostly Polishy family used it sometime back in the day and I stored it away without realizing it.

I do think there's a possibility that the bottles are being used as some sort of marker for potential theft, if the spot is tied to a unit number. It wouldn't surprise me, at any rate.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »

And I was hoping it was the same person that keeps putting Archway cookies in my shopping cart when I am not looking.

I have the same problem, except that chocolate keeps appearing in my grocery cart!  :)

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »
Most cars don't have antenna's anymore, so maybe your car is being targeted just because you do have one.

Oh Joy

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »

Just continuing the threadjacking squeals about hanyak.  I never knew how to spell it!

Oh, yeah - best wishes on your garage issues, OP.  ;-)

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 07:02:58 PM »
I'd have a little fun with this just to see what happens.  Start leaving something on your antenna when you leave the car, like a bow, a balloon, an AA flyer, maybe even a small sack with a cookie in it.  Put a wad of holiday tissue paper under the door handle (maybe add a bow there too).  If the problem is just undirected vandalism, perhaps the culprit will realize they're dealing with another human being and feel enough shame to stop. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.