Author Topic: For Christmas, I知 getting our club president a clue.  (Read 7301 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: For Christmas, I知 getting our club president a clue.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 08:28:16 AM »
What痴 another good way of putting my foot down about the doll, because it looks like it痴 going to go over my gift budget for Christmas?

This one's really easy. Simply never ever give him any money.

As for the "convincing him to delegate it"--I think you need to bring the issue before the entire group and insist that there be motions, and discussions, and votes. It is completely not appropriate for one person to determine the gift-giving limit/suggestion range.

And the FIRST thing you should do is move that the club scrap the entire Secret Santa and all the other gifts.

If you can't get that, then move that the upper limit be $20.

(and I hadn't even read johelenc1's post yet!)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 12:47:21 PM »
What痴 another good way of putting my foot down about the doll, because it looks like it痴 going to go over my gift budget for Christmas?

This one's really easy. Simply never ever give him any money.

I totally agree.  Sometimes it is a simple as that. I have had people want things from me and find it is easiest for myself to take the other person out of the equation. I let them know that I can't make it or can't buy it or whatever and then I just stop trying to convince them of anything. I know that I am not going to that sales party or having them as a roomate or giving them $20 and short of assault or robbery, it simply isn't going to happen.

Life is easier if you don't try to convince others of the rightness of your decision. If you know you made the right decision, that should be enough.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 12:57:11 PM »

Life is easier if you don't try to convince others of the rightness of your decision. If you know you made the right decision, that should be enough.

This is incredibly wise.

And important.

You don't need a telemarketer's permission to hang up the phone. Just hang up.

You don't need Jim's permission to not give him any money. Just don't give it to him.

You don't need him to agree with you!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
Don't bring it up with James.  If he asks you to contribute to the doll again you can say "I'm not going to contribute."  If he asks why "Because I don't want to" is sufficient reason.  Don't JADE.

As far as the Secret Santa goes, bring it up at a group meeting.  Majority rules.

Christabeldreams

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »
Sorry to drag this thread up from the deapths, but I have an update! I recieved a call from James, and after giving me an update on where the party would be held, he said, "I've still got the doll, so if you want to drop by with your half of the money..."
!!!!
 From "if you want to" to implying I already agreed. Now, why was I not surprised?  ::) I told him flat out that I wasn't contributing, and should he bring it up again, the answer will be an even firmer no. Thanks, Ehell!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »
James should not be your club's president.  Why is he, exactly?  He sounds like a self-serving jerk.

Christabeldreams

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
James should not be your club's president.  Why is he, exactly?  He sounds like a self-serving jerk.
He's president, because he started the club.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »
Sounds like you did well.

Another phrase that is very helpful is "I'm sorry but that won't be possible."

It's a good idea to practice saying so that when needed it can just roll right off the tongue.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »
Yeah for you for saying "No" (Boo on the pres for asking again)

Marguette

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »
"I've still got the doll, so if you want to drop by with your half of the money..."

Like he said, if you want to drop by with your half of the money, then do so.

If you don稚, then don稚.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
You:  Have we talked about this before?
Jim:  Yes.
You:  What did I say about contributing to the doll?
Jim:  You said no.
You:  Then stop asking me to do something I  have already declined to do.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Christabeldreams

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »
You:  Have we talked about this before?
Jim:  Yes.
You:  What did I say about contributing to the doll?
Jim:  You said no.
You:  Then stop asking me to do something I  have already declined to do.
POD!

LeveeWoman

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »
Sorry to drag this thread up from the deapths, but I have an update! I recieved a call from James, and after giving me an update on where the party would be held, he said, "I've still got the doll, so if you want to drop by with your half of the money..."
!!!!
 From "if you want to" to implying I already agreed. Now, why was I not surprised?  ::) I told him flat out that I wasn't contributing, and should he bring it up again, the answer will be an even firmer no. Thanks, Ehell!

You're a shining star!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 10:00:02 AM »
Perhaps you can helpfully suggest that he visit his doctor to check his hearing and memory.  >:D

Seriously though, his behavior just doesn't seem normal.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »
!!!!
<congratulations on acquiring a shiny strong spine>

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools