Author Topic: not having what was offered as a freebe.  (Read 2057 times)

MOM21SON

not having what was offered as a freebe.
« on: November 17, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
Now, I need another tote bag as bad as I need another cookie.

I went to the salon today to get my color, cut, and style.  This was not a cheap visit.  This was also with someone new.

There was a huge sign on the door and signs on all the stylists mirror.  "Buy $25 dollars worth of Redkin products and get a free totebag."

When I paid for my do and my 2 Redkin products, the products totaled almost 40 bucks, I asked for my tote bag.  She looked at me like I had grown horns and said, "what tote bag?"  I explained, she was still puzzled so i just left, but stopped to look at the sign to make sure I was not crazy.  The sign was very clear.  She saw me looking at the sign and came out and said, "We don't have any."  Then she just walked back in.

I just left, but now it is driving me batty.  I still would have bought the products.

What do you think?

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Re: not having what was offered as a freebe.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »
I would have asked to speak to the manager.  If it was a chain, I would call corporate.

Kaypeep

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »
1.  Poor communication that the receptionist didn't know about the promo, not surprising.
2.  "Limited supplies only" mean they usually run out, and since the promo is run by Redken and not the salon they aren't obligated to compensate if there are none left.
3.  When I'm spending a small fortune on my hair color and product, I'm more relieved that I leave looking great than getting a free tote bag.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »
Pointed the signs out to the stylist, the receptionist, and the manager, and posted on eHell.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:32:47 PM »
I would talk to the owner of the salon and find out what is going on.  Maybe the sign went up too early or something like that.

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

MOM21SON

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »
1.  Poor communication that the receptionist didn't know about the promo, not surprising.
2.  "Limited supplies only" mean they usually run out, and since the promo is run by Redken and not the salon they aren't obligated to compensate if there are none left.
3.  When I'm spending a small fortune on my hair color and product, I'm more relieved that I leave looking great than getting a free tote bag.

It was the stylist that rang me out, the same stylist that did my hair and had the sign on her mirror. 

I am very happy that my hair looks great.

Its not the tote bag, its the idea of her having no clue and them not having any, or offering a raincheck, nothing.

Now if were a new hairdryer or something really great, that would be different.

MOM21SON

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 06:36:24 PM »
Pointed the signs out to the stylist, the receptionist, and the manager, and posted on eHell.

lol.  thanks for the chuckle.

jmarvellous

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 07:22:46 PM »
This always seems to happen to me at Ulta. I've gotten in the habit of asking before I check out if I am planning to buy a bit extra to get the promo, which they seem to be out of half of the time. They often don't know what the promotion is for, and when they do check, they're out.

It's like a Pp said, the freebies are provided by the manufacturer in limited amounts with no incentive to order more. And there's likely not a good education program with the stylists at that salon. It wouldn't be enough to keep me from going back, but I do get your frustration. I'm something of the opposite when it comes to salons -- I got a haircut today and loved that my new stylist is NOT a brand evangelist (or commissioned on product sales, which I think is the case sometimes). She told me the type of product I need, saw my face when I saw the price tag, and didn't push it.

Kaypeep

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »

It was the stylist that rang me out, the same stylist that did my hair and had the sign on her mirror. 

I am very happy that my hair looks great.

Its not the tote bag, its the idea of her having no clue and them not having any, or offering a raincheck, nothing.

Now if were a new hairdryer or something really great, that would be different.

I think it's not a big deal and not surprising that the woman didn't know about the offer. There could be a million reasons why that is.  But offers like that are limited supply only and  run by the supplier, not the salon, so staff ignorance aside I think there's nothing the shop owed you.  I'd use the experience as a lesson going forward to always confirm the offer before making the purchase anyway, to avoid surprises.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »
It is one thing to have the person say, 'I'm very sorry; we don't have any of the promotional item left.'  It is quite another for them to have no idea there is a promotional item when it is posted all over the shop.

I wouldn't be ticked that the promotional item wasn't available.  I would be ticked that staff were completely unaware of a promotion that is clearly posted at their work station.  The lack of attention to detail in someone I'm trusting to cut my hair would have me rethinking whether or not this is a person whose services I want to continue to use.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »
Good point. I think the OP said it was on the outside of the store, but still, you'd think that either a) she'd notice it on her way in for her shift* or b) whoever was the manager at the time would give her a heads up.

*ideally, though I know that if it were me there might be days when I'm thinking of other stuff and not being terribly observant so I realize that could be the case*
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 04:51:17 PM »
From the OP:

There was a huge sign on the door and signs on all the stylists mirror.  "Buy $25 dollars worth of Redkin products and get a free totebag."

So a stylist who didn't know about it was very unobservant.

And I'm with you, Private - I can be very unobservant at times but I would hope that something posted on my workstation wouldn't go overlooked!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 07:18:27 PM »
There is no excuse for a retail establishment to offer a promotion and then have any employees be unaware of said promotion. Lousy, slack management and poor customer service!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 07:22:44 PM »
I think what bugs me most is that, upon seeing that there was indeed a sign advertising something they didn't have or were out of, she just went back in without taking the sign with her. Because I think it's important that they remove this advertising if they're no longer participating in the promotion for whatever reason.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 07:50:11 PM »
Oh, that really irritates me. I had something similar happen a few months ago; a local restaurant that we frequent fairly often has an ongoing deal with a radio station for discount gift certificates. I bought one in the lower denomination--all the more expensive ones were sold out.

I went a week or so later to use it on breakfast. When I tried to pay, the waitress (who had worked there for years, btw) looked at it, and said she didn't know how to use it, and the owner was out, and I'd have to pay a different way. I suggested she take it as currency and write my number on it in case there was a problem (small town, and the owner knows us on a casual basis.) No, no, she didn't know what these certificates were, I'd just have to pay another way. (I always kind of disliked eating there when this waitress was working, as she's rather pushy.) I paid another way, but went away feeling kind of annoyed. Yes, I would have eaten there anyway, and yes, there was no problem paying another way, but why have the certificates if the waitstaff isn't going to know what the heck they are? Plus, I felt really stupid during the transaction, you know? Not the way you want to be made to feel at a place you otherwise enjoyed!

I sent an e-mail to the owner when I got home, and explained what happened. I also noted that all the more expensive certificates had been sold out, and since I know people travel ~30-90 miles to try his place (it won an award last year), they might not appreciate being told their method of payment is bad. The owner was really apologetic and also dumbstruck as to why his waitress wouldn't take it. He said he'd talk to her about it, and I don't doubt he did.