Author Topic: not having what was offered as a freebe.  (Read 2046 times)

Shalamar

Re: not having what was offered as a freebe.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
My husband had a similar experience to OP when he went to a local clothing store (Marks Work Wearhouse for my fellow Canucks).   He wanted to buy me pjs for Christmas.    They had a big sign outside saying "ALL SLEEPWEAR 30% OFF.". When his purchase was rung up, there was no discount taken.  He asked the cashier about it, and not only did she not know about the sale, she flatly refused to believe him when he said it should be 30% off.  He said "Go check the sign outside if you don't believe me" - and she did.   She took off the 30% when she returned, but she didn't apologize.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »
I realize that at some salons, the stylists rent their chairs and are independent contractors. However, it should be the responsibility of whoever is managing the salon to inform everyone who works there about specials and promotions. And to take down signs for specials and promotions when the supply runs out or the end date is reached.

Not doing so sends a big red flag about how the salon as a whole is run. Individual stylists not reading signs posted on their mirrors sends a red flag about them personally.

I could see someone forgetting about a promotion, if they are busy and not a lot of their clients qualify for the promotion. But to have a promotion going on in the store and have employees not know about it--something's off there.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 10:39:10 PM »
I think - it depends.  At my salon, the employees park in the back and enter in through that door, so they wouldn't necessarily notice a promotional-sign at the front door.

Re the sign at their stations - again, if it's first thing in the morning and no one told them about this promotion before, I can understand them overlooking it.  No, they shouldn't have been clueless when a customer inquired about it - but, for me, it wouldn't be an issue that I would either contact Corporate about, or discontinue going to that salon.  A tote bag isn't that important to me, although I understand completely that others would disagree.

Kaypeep

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »
My BFF's partner is a colorist.  He works at 2 salons and also travels to teach others so he sees salons all over the place, and the stories he tells about poor management are simply shocking.  The industry itself is filled with a lot of strong (ie: difficult) personalities and creative types who usually work as independent contractors and just don't care about the shop and only care about their own customers and the work they do.  Managers/owners are usually stylists who have very bad business sense and don't really know how to manage staff, etc.  He says nearly every salon he's visited is in need of a visit from "Tabitha's Salon Makeovers" because of how dysfunctional and badly managed they are. 

Based on his stories, and stories from my own stylist (who now owns her own salon and I see that she's not the greatest manager because her front desk girl is a bit of a space cadet) I totally believe that someone wouldn't know about a tote bag offer.  The salon I go to sells jewelry, handbags, makeup, and other accessories in addition to shampoos and hair product from various suppliers, and whenever anyone asks about any of those items, the look on almost every employee is like deer in headlights.  All anyone seems to know about is their own job (cut/color/wash).  It's a willful ignorance.  I don't care much since I have no problems with my haircuts and that's all I want. But I can see customers being frustrated.  I just don't think there's any way to fix it so I don't sweat it.  It's like going to the DMV or post office.  You know there will be long lines and probably some holdups with  your transaction, so why bother getting worked up over it.   I guess I have just lowered my expectations to the point where good service becomes notworthy!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »
I just remembered. We have a recycling program in our area where you get points for participating and having your bin picked up every week (each bin has a number for the house) and one day DH decided to redeem a coupon for Quiznos. Well when we went to redeem it the kid behind the counter said it was no good because it didn't have a certain code on the coupon.

We got the food anyway since it was already fixed, but we went home and DH let the recycling company know about the issue. I don't know if they just didn't bother to make sure the coupon could be honored or the kid didn't know how to use it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata