Author Topic: S/O of Holiday Hill... What's you Black Friday plans/preferences?  (Read 4528 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
I noticed that the subject of Black Friday is up in a lot of conversations, and I was just curious what e-hellions did for this?

I go out on Black Friday, but the only thing I've ever really gone out to buy was fabric that was deeply discounted. My MIL has sent DH, myself, and my BIL out on shopping missions, but I mainly just like wandering around watching the chaos ensue. 

Two favorite random Black Friday moments:

I stopped to read a sales flier that was near a display in Wal-Mart. When I was  done reading  and looked up, a significant sized line had formed up behind me, because... well, I guess I looked like the display would be released for sale soon. :P
Getting blocked in by several carts and having to low crawl to my husband underneath a bunch of clothing racks. That was fun! ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:48:49 PM by afbluebelle »
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Please pass the Calgon

Re: S/O of Holiday Hill... What's you Black Friday plans/preferences?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:49:37 PM »
I'm planning to follow my annual tradition of staying curled up on the couch in front of the TV w/ DH, the kids & my iPad. We watch movies, shop the online Black Friday sales, and never get out of our PJs. Leftovers for lunch :)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:51:17 PM »
I used to go out but once people were getting hurt on a yearly basis I stopped going out. 

Jones

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
I always buy the family's new Christmas morning fleece jammies. Anything else I might pick up (DVDs, picture frames, fuzzy socks) is generally a cheap impulse buy. I go because I used to go with my mom and it brings back good memories, plus I'm usually up at 5 AM anyway.

I do not fight other people for goods in high demand and low quantity. I also don't go on Thanksgiving itself. Nobody's gotten hurt at my local stores yet *knock on wood* but I'd hate to tempt fate.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 07:18:47 PM »
My sister spends Thanksgiving with her in-laws, so she holds Thanksgiving Part 2 for my family on Black Friday.  The first few years her husband made a turkey (Thanksgiving Part 2 actually got started because he wanted to make turkey but his mother was making it for the actual day) but lately it's been lasagna.

I did go shopping last Black Friday, but only to the grocery store because I needed to run in real quick and pick up an ingredient for something I was making for T2 dinner, and the grocery store was nearly empty.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »
I go grocery shopping! the stores are empty, and its so nice to be able to get what I need without dealing with SS's, and being pushed and shoved.  I also do some "non-shopping" related  errands. And I am working, but 5-9 at my store. PM, not am.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
I've never been shopping on Black Friday. It was the worst day of the year for crowds even in the '60s. I have dropped into the store for something quick, but never during a rush. It's just a usual grab something for supper  if anything because my grocer is Walmart.

I find it insane. Now that I think about it, I've never seen anything I needed or wanted in the 'doorbuster' specials.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
Gifts in our family are usually modest things (smart socks or daily calendars) or gifts of cash for the household.  The only things we buy on Black Friday are staples such as fruit, vegetables and milk that we normally buy several times a week from local merchants. 

The idea of getting up early, standing in line and fighting over things that no one needs is anathema to us.  We just say 'NO'.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 08:11:56 PM »
We'll play it by ear on the day, but what we won't do is most shopping. (If necessary I'll fill a prescription or buy milk or tissues or such.) In recent years, I have (in no particular order) gone to the aquarium, an art museum, and my gym.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Jocelyn

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »
I'll be at my sister's, who lives in a small town, so we won't be shopping. Usually, I don't shop on BF, except online. :)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »
I won't be doing much, if any, Black Friday shopping this year.  I'm very unhappy that so many retailers are going to be open on Thanksgiving Day, so I'm avoiding all of them this year.  I may do Small Business Saturday instead, even though I find the name of the day incredibly pretentious. 

Instead, I think I'm going to work on making products for my own small business.  Maybe do some online shopping.  I'm almost finished with my Christmas shopping, so that's nice!   

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 09:14:12 PM »
You couldn't pay me enough to go anywhere near a store on Back Friday.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 09:24:56 PM »
I'll be doing something new this year - watching YoungestGrandson while my DD and DSIL do something with some of the people from their church.

YGS is all of 9 months old, and is as seriously cute as his 4 first cousins were at the same age.  ;D

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
I'm going to a con, so I will shop there for fudge, books and jewelry.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:24:56 PM by Winterlight »
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »
I work in healthcare, so I'll be working that day. Unfortunately the major shopping area is in between my house and my job  :'( so it will take me extra time to get to work.

I detest the whole idea of BF, and wouldn't go even if I could. I'm more in favor of small business Saturday.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.