Author Topic: S/O of Holiday Hill... What's you Black Friday plans/preferences?  (Read 4848 times)

weeblewobble

Re: S/O of Holiday Hill... What's you Black Friday plans/preferences?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »
I am going to sleep late, stay home and decorate a gingerbread house and the Christmas tree with my husband and kids. For dinner, we will have Boxing Day Club sandwiches (turkey, stuffing, cranberry jelly, lettuce and bacon on grilled sourdough) and sweet potato fries. 

I have absolutely no desire to go anywhere near the mall.  I finished my christmas shopping this week.

JoW

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
Exercise 8-9am.  One cat has a vet appointment at 10am.  Ring for the Salvation Army 4-8pm.  I ring outside a department store and they let me use their rest room.  Thats the only time I'll enter a store that day. 

MrTango

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 07:36:29 PM »
I have to work (8-4:30, not retail, no customer contact).

In years when I don't have to work, I usually drive to the Mall of America (15-20 minutes from my home) and find a good place to watch the chaos.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
Probably going downtown, more to people watch than anything else.  Got most of the major gifts already, though a lot of that involved air travel.  Bought what I could locally.  What's left needs to be ordered, and we'll do that at our leisure.

Black Friday is also the day I put up my Christmas decorations!

Minmom3

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 08:05:59 PM »
Turns out I'm going to a Harvest Festival that day...  But there's a parking garage there that's sane, and we get in early and leave by 2 when the crowds ramp up.  After that I have some shopping to do, but it's to some ethnic supermarkets, not a mall department store.  THOSE I don't touch.  The Harvest Festival is as crazed as I'm willing to get, and it's pretty good as long as I get there for opening and leave shortly after lunch.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

HoneyBee42

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 08:07:49 PM »
You couldn't pay me enough to go anywhere near a store on Back Friday.
Likewise.  If I have to buy anything, I'll get it online.

Of course, this will only be the second year so I guess it's a new tradition.  Both my mother and I work on Wednesday before Thanksgiving and have the day after Thanksgiving off from work (as well as Turkey Day itself).  So, we treat Thursday as "prep day" and have our actual Thanksgiving on Friday.  It's a lot more relaxing to get the meal put together when you're not trying to get it done all on the same day (especially given the number of pies I'll be making this year--last year I made 5 for seven people, this year I'll be making 10 for twelve people as my brother, future wife and her three children will also be present in addition to my parents, myself and my four children).

Reika

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 10:13:56 PM »
I plan to sleep in, then wander over to the new Dunkin' Donuts that just opened up for goodies. Otherwise, I stick to online for my gift giving needs.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 01:06:01 AM »
My wife and I will sleep in and curl up with cocoa for a day of gaming/movies.

MissRose

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 07:55:42 AM »
I refuse to go shopping in malls that day or other types of retail plazas from Thanksgiving Day til the end of that weekend.   I usually work on Black Friday but not in retail thankfully.

o_gal

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2012, 07:56:11 AM »
And now for something completely different - http://www.littlemiamidirtydozen.info/

This is my husband's bike ride that he started 2 years ago. I do the officiating, which means I get to drive my car to the top of each hill and determine the "finish line" at what looks to be the highest point. DS loves to be the official photographer :-)

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
Cleaning the house so I can put up Christmas decorations Saturday (outdoor) and Sunday. (indoor)   Yes, there's enough to make it a two day thing.  I maybe go a wee bit overboard.   ;D

LB

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012, 08:24:46 AM »
I've done the early morning, waiting in line till the store opens twice. The first time because I was persuaded by family members that it would be fun. I can't explain the second time. It still confuses me.

I will occasionally go out that day in the afternoon to browse at a few stores if they don't look to crowded.

I'm kind of motivated this year to get some craft supplies, so I'll check to see if there are any good deals there.

Otherwise, I usually just relax at home. Some years we've gone to the movies. Some years I make DH get out the Christmas decorations if I get tired of sitting around.  ;) I love the ideas some have mentioned in here for making it an at home family day. I can think of lots of things we could do. Make cookies or some other treats. Drink hot chocolate, watch movies. Crafts. Make Christmas cards. Read. Or just general playtime.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 08:51:01 AM »
I will probably go to the movies or watch DVDs on my computer.  I can't remember when I last shopped on Black Friday.

I am thinking about the time when Brunhilde's sister predicted "Sometime soon we'll be finishing our pumpkin pie and going to the mall."   No; we won't and we all feel this is completely wrong.

With all the Christmas stuff already on store shelves before Halloween, why is this necessary?

darling

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2012, 10:04:29 AM »
My sisters and I are going to go out for a bit on Thursday night, because there are very specific things we would like to try to get. This way, we can sleep in on Friday morning! We do this more as time to spend together being goofy, than out of any real desire to grab everything we can. I do have ONE thing I want to buy. The chances of getting it are pretty slim, but I figured I might as well try, since I'll be there anyway.

dawbs

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 10:06:46 AM »
I don't tend to ahve the energy to black Friday shop.

BUT, the Meijer in my little town will have the same black Friday deals as the Meijer in the city.  So around 10 am, I'll roll in there, stock up on a few things (Christmas PJs for the little one, 60c matchbox cars, lost leader items like play doh and board games, etc), and be done for the year.