Author Topic: S/O of Holiday Hill... What's you Black Friday plans/preferences?  (Read 5529 times)

lowspark

Re: S/O of Holiday Hill... What's you Black Friday plans/preferences?
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2012, 08:19:34 AM »
I just heard a story on my local public radio station this morning about people lining up early for Black Friday deals. And when I say early, I mean early. According to the story, people have been camping out at a local Best Buy since last Friday. These people take vacation days from work and camp out waiting for the store to open on Black Friday. A week! Wow. You couldn't pay me to do this. I don't know what they are saving. A few hundred dollars? This is nuts.

http://app1.kuhf.org/articles/1353426549-Giving-Thanks-For-Black-Friday.html

Jones

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2012, 08:24:17 AM »
As somebody who participates in Black Friday....I think those camp-out-for-a-deal people are crazy too.

Oh, I looked into Small Business Friday in my area, turns out a whole bunch of small businesses are working together and putting on their own Black Friday. May look into that.

MissRose

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »
I just heard a story on my local public radio station this morning about people lining up early for Black Friday deals. And when I say early, I mean early. According to the story, people have been camping out at a local Best Buy since last Friday. These people take vacation days from work and camp out waiting for the store to open on Black Friday. A week! Wow. You couldn't pay me to do this. I don't know what they are saving. A few hundred dollars? This is nuts.

A young woman and her brother got to a local best buy by me, pitched a tent and got on the news for being there since Monday.  They will take turns in the tent to be able to eat and attend to things like going to the bathroom.

I refuse to shop that weekend plain and simple!

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2012, 10:54:21 AM »
Getting the car's oil changed.  We know how to party hard at Mort's house!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Jules1980

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »

A young woman and her brother got to a local best buy by me, pitched a tent and got on the news for being there since Monday.  They will take turns in the tent to be able to eat and attend to things like going to the bathroom.

I don't see it as any different than those people that camp out at electronic stores for the release of a new phone/game/computer systems.  However, I think they're crazy too. 

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »

I don't see it as any different than those people that camp out at electronic stores for the release of a new phone/game/computer systems.  However, I think they're crazy too.

I can't judge... I've waited in lines for midnight movies in ridiculous costumes, and done the tent thing for concert tickets. This was in my teen years though, so the lost pay wasn't quite the deal breaker :P
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2012, 02:02:56 PM »

It's amazing how people devalue their own time. Compare the time spent (I want to say wasted) camping out in a BB parking lot vs the few dollars saved on some gadgets, along with the bragging rights for getting a "deal." I'm not spending 4-5 days of my vacation time in order to save a few dollars. It just doesn't make economic sense to me. (We're talking pennies-per-hour here.)

As for us, we're visiting family in Berkeley, CA for T-Day and will likely spend Friday in San Francisco doing touristy things -- not in a BB or other big retailer. Maybe a nice dinner at the Stinking Rose. We'll do some shopping on the drive back to LA on Sunday, stopping at our favorite winery. They're having a members-only preview of their holiday faire, with lots of wines, food and crafts for sale.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »

New plan. Friend and I are going to pretend we are still in college, get day time drunk on homemade wine and play Xbox. Soul Calibur and Beautiful Katamari to be exact. That is worth giving up a rare house-to-myself day. I am excited enough that i should probably be embarassed for myself.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2012, 07:06:10 PM »
This business of needing to be the first for the latest SmartPhone or whatever is nuts when you realize that six months from now there will be a better model that will be substantially cheaper because that is what happens to electronics and computer stuff.

The Black Friday thing is even crazier.   When I started working I was grateful for the day off to relax.  Pushing this earlier and earlier into Thanksgiving Day makes no sense at all.

Not to mention if you are a new hire at a retail store that is doing this you either show up on that day or lose your job.

CookieChica

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2012, 11:45:56 PM »
I used to love Black Friday when it meant getting up at 4 or 5 am to shop. Now that most of the stores in my area open at 8pm on Thursday, I'll be skipping out. Luckily most of those places don't have anything I want anyway.

We do Thanksgiving at dinner time and hang out late. I will be hitting a couple of stores at 6am and I'll be home and back in bed by 9.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »
I had the thought of visiting several local museums, all of which have neato gift shops.   Maybe have a nice lunch-myself!-downtown.  Then I'm just writing Christmas cards (gotta get the international ones out this weekend), getting  things ready to ship, and writing on NaNo like a fiend.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
We don't have a lot of bigger stores where I live and the ones we have can be fairly limited, but there is a craft fair and I love to got here on black Fridays just to see what is available.  I did most of my Christmas shopping way back in July and got a ton of books so I don't have much to buy, now, but I still love getting a few things. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2012, 05:50:15 PM »
I know people who have camped out at BB. They see it as a  time to bond with each other and meet new friends.  They enjoy the wait time. It wouldn't be my thing but who am I to decide that their time together in line lacked value? I am not thrilled with the shift in when Black Friday has started but I can't say vacation days camping with family members in front of BB is much different bonding wise from vacation days camping with family anywhere else.

sassydeej

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2012, 06:08:47 PM »
I started my Black Friday shopping this morning with stocking up on laundry detergent (I did the same last year and still had 1 full container left, so it is time to get some more). 

I volunteered to go in and work tonight from midnight to at least 4:00 am so I will be watching the show up close.  I might do some shopping after work, but it will depend on how I feel.

Have a happy Thanksgiving day everyone.

Jones

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
We had to do some shopping today,when it was discovered the turkey was too big for our roaster.  ::)

I saw that Kmart was out of a couple things I'd wanted tomorrow (they do a 3 day sale), so I went home and bought them online. I may do that in future "doorbuster days".