Author Topic: S/O Relative bringing something for T-giving dinner  (Read 2302 times)

O'Dell

Re: S/O Relative bringing something for T-giving dinner
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 12:45:01 PM »

i don't know what you can say to your friend, but re your DH - just throw them out when he isn't there. IF he happens to notice say they went bad or it fell when you opened the fridge or something.  that's what i did with my ex-DH whose parents were war/holocaust survivors. we had 342 tote bags/duffle bags/suitcases, for example, that i threw out a few at a time. if caught, i said "the zipper broke on that one, the wheels came off, the handle snapped..."

I agree. Your friend doesn't want them back, you don't want them in your house, toss them. Why risk bad feelings or awkwardness by talking to your friend about it when the solution is so simple?
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

miranova

Re: S/O Relative bringing something for T-giving dinner
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »
I find it slightly ironic and amusing that someone would rather talk to an acquaintance and ask them not to bring as much dressing than to just talk to her own husband and/or just throw them out yourself.  I just would never consider having this conversation with a friend rather than my own husband.  If I can't tell my husband that he is being frankly a little ridiculous by whining for months about the dressing and forcing himself to choke it down, then I can always, as an adult, throw them away myself as I don't need my husband's permission to do so.  I wouldn't lie about why either.  I would say "we never like them, it's a source of complaining for months and I'm not going to spend my time listening to the griping this year or forcing myself to eat something I don't want".  Problem solved.