Author Topic: Potter or Putter  (Read 10230 times)

veryfluffy

Re: Potter or Putter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »
UK here, it's "potter".

(Unless you are messing about before going somewhere, then it's "faff").

Yes, I would more or less agree with that. Pottering is doing little but generally quite useful things, and is a pleasant sort of way to pass the time. Faffing is doing useless things as a way to kill time or while procrastinating.

Puttering? Isn't that something in golf?

katycoo

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »
Australians potter.  Another term I like which is more to imply time wasting or dallying rather than just moseying about is "faffing about".  Does anyone else use that?

Pippen

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 02:13:27 AM »
or pootle. Pootling is something of a speciality of mine. 

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 02:33:03 AM »
In Australia we potter.

Victoria

merryns

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 03:00:07 AM »
Aussie here - pottering. And faffing. And I agree with the distinction.

LibraryLady

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 02:48:34 PM »
Here in Texas, I piddle around.

Hollis

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »

Hollis

Piddle means something quite different here - you gave me quite the mental image!

jmarvellous

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 03:53:14 PM »

Hollis

Piddle means something quite different here - you gave me quite the mental image!

I'm in Texas and it throws me off every time.

I fiddle around, mess around or waste time, but I never potter or putter or piddle, though I'd catch your drift in any case.

Iris

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »
Aussie here - pottering. And faffing. And I agree with the distinction.

Me too.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »

Hollis

To me "piddle" is a word the owner of a puppy or small dog would use to describe it urinating on the kitchen floor. "Aww did poopsie-whoopie do a piddle puddle?" or "Ralph get in the kitchen and clean up after this puppy!  He piddled on the floor again!"

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »

Hollis

To me "piddle" is a word the owner of a puppy or small dog would use to describe it urinating on the kitchen floor. "Aww did poopsie-whoopie do a piddle puddle?" or "Ralph get in the kitchen and clean up after this puppy!  He piddled on the floor again!"

Yes. Puppies piddle. It's a bit cutesy for my vocab; but that is the meaning i know. I have also seen piddling used to demean something or someone ... piddling peasants, or a piddling amount (tiny amount) comes to mind.

In NJ, USA it is putter. If you are pottering ... well, you wouldn't be, because it doesn't make sense.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 04:30:23 PM »
I'm a Californian who is also a potter who used to putter in her studio a lot.  Not so much anymore, sadly.  I don't piddle, but I do piddle around. Faffing sounds like passing gas to me.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Jones

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »
I had to pay attention as I've never thought about it before, but people here "fiddle" or "mess around." I'm familiar with the listed uses of potter/putter/piddle, but can't say the last time I heard a real person use them that way.

I have to say I think the author was rude to chide the use of "potter" in favor of "putter". Language evolves, it's likely that a word can have more than one meaning.

baritone108

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 04:58:23 PM »
My New English Dictionary published 1936 defines potter as someone who makes pots, and to potter or pottering as moving about aimlessly doing small jobs. The only definition of putter is a type of golf club. I myself potter, and it is only recently that I have read the term " puttering" in books from the US. (I'm in the UK)

Midwest US, here.  We use puttering about.  My 1981 Webster's Dictionary defines putter as, "to move or act aimlessly or idly" with the second definition being "to work at random".  They list TINKER as a synonym and I have heard tinkering about, though tinkering with is more common.  The only definition they give for potter is "one that makes pottery".

Iris

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
I'm a Californian who is also a potter who used to putter in her studio a lot.  Not so much anymore, sadly.  I don't piddle, but I do piddle around. Faffing sounds like passing gas to me.

Well, I don't think that the filter would let me say the other, more vulgar, term for faffing about, but it is [pass wind][backside]-ing about so it is possible that there is a certain overlap  ;)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.