Author Topic: Potter or Putter  (Read 9551 times)

Margo

Re: Potter or Putter
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
Fascinating thread!

Ditherering to me has a definite connotation of indecisiveness and/or time wasting - I think of it at physical more than verbal
I potter rather than putter.

I might also do a bit of faffing about (I'd see faffing as having a flavour of wasting time /aimlessness, whereas pottering would be unhurried but not necessarily aimless)

Blithering I have only come across as a emphasis to idiot "The man's a blithering idiot" - blather is, as amandaelizabeth says, rambling on - foolishly or repetitively.

Piddle to me is what puppies and very small children do (although more robustly (if I can use it without upsetting the filters) 'pissing about' means wasting time, messing around - If I heard someone talk about someone 'piddling about' I'd think they were using it as a euphemism for 'pissing about'.

I drive over the river Piddle fairly regularly.

Stormtreader

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 05:10:09 AM »
Dithering to me is when youve been stressed over something like a party and cant make some teeny decision, like dithering over which flavour of cupcakes to buy - either would be fine but you just cant decide.

scotcat60

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 05:03:59 AM »
Have just come across the word "QUIDDLE" in my old 1936 dictionary, to do a series of pointless, time-wasting jobs. Different then form pottering, when the jobs need to be done.

cwm

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »
I'm in the midwest, I putter about the house completely aimlessly. Cars putter along the road.

Dithering to me is a mental thing. You dither about whether to wear the red shirt with the black pumps or the black dress with the ballet flats when you go out at night.

Futzing, to me, is unnecessarily messing with. For example, if I'm puttering about, I might fold a few towels, go to wash a few dishes, just basically wander around aimlessly doing random things for a tiny bit before moving on to something else. If I was futzing about the towels, I'd unfold all of the towels in the house just to get them right.

Shea

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 08:11:42 AM »
Grew up in the US Pacific Northwest, now live in Quebec. I'd use "putter" and "potter" interchangeably, but I can't recollect anyone ever using the terms around me where I live now, so I'm not sure what the more common term is here.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2013, 07:48:35 PM »
If someone is really obsessing about things that don't mean much we say, 'Stop Davening over it'.

'Davening' is a Jewish term.  Many people won't recognize the term but most who have studied hard for a test have 'davened' whether they know it or not.   When you're studying hard you may start to rock slightly back and forth.  That's Davening. 

It's a very precise term for someone who is worrying about tiny little things that no one will notice.

I live near NYC and have a large number of Jewish friends. They use that word a lot. I like it.  :)

ETA: some of my friends are observant, some are not. Either way, rest assured that I don't use any words disrespectfully.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:54:05 PM by jaxsue »

Eeep!

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2013, 01:37:35 AM »
I'm in the midwest, I putter about the house completely aimlessly. Cars putter along the road.

Dithering to me is a mental thing. You dither about whether to wear the red shirt with the black pumps or the black dress with the ballet flats when you go out at night.

Futzing, to me, is unnecessarily messing with. For example, if I'm puttering about, I might fold a few towels, go to wash a few dishes, just basically wander around aimlessly doing random things for a tiny bit before moving on to something else. If I was futzing about the towels, I'd unfold all of the towels in the house just to get them right.

I am in CA but these are pretty much my definitions too so thanks!

Myself, however, I am prone to frittering. I fritter my day away frequently.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2013, 05:18:03 AM »
Northeastern U.S. here. If I'm puttering, I'm doing little minor tasks around the house, like tidying up, disposing of the junk mail, etc.

Dithering has an anxiety component. If I'm faced with a bunch of tasks but not sure which one to tackle, I'm dithering. It is possible to dither and get nothing done.

Futzing I think of as a euphemism for another word that starts with f-u and ends in -ing and is synonymous with goofing off. "I spent the evening futzing around on the computer."

Never heard "potter" as a verb. It's someone who works with clay. Or Harry's last name.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »
US, Colorado.  I have seen pottering about in books, but have only ever heard puttering (or futzing, as someone else mentioned).

Likewise. I prefer futzing, may have seen pottering in a book or two, but puttering is more common IME.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Another Sarah

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »
Do any other brits know the term putter about as driving in a tiny car? (the type where the engine goes putputput instead of vroom)

That's how I heard the term - maybe thats a lancashire thing

Eeep!

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »
Do any other brits know the term putter about as driving in a tiny car? (the type where the engine goes putputput instead of vroom)

I am in California, but I know it that way too.  You can also putter around in a golf cart or something similar. :)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Blondie

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »

I am in California, but I know it that way too.  You can also putter around in a golf cart or something similar. :)

That's interesting- NY born and bred here and I have always heard it in reference to cars of any size, but mainly in terms of speed- One would putter around town, but not on a highway. It has some element of laziness, perhaps taking ones time running errands. Then again, I have also really only heard it used by an older generation- my 94 year old grandmother talks about puttering her way around the town on the way to the grocery store.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." Douglas Adams

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »
Putter, also futzing doesn't exist here, the term used won't pass censors.  Dithering is personal and davening would be obsessing. All of these though are terms mothers and grandmothers use to scold/chide so I seldom use them.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »
Putter, also futzing doesn't exist here, the term used won't pass censors.  Dithering is personal and davening would be obsessing. All of these though are terms mothers and grandmothers use to scold/chide so I seldom use them.

I always took "dithering" to imply a bit of agitation and confusion.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »
Puttering implies that small chores are actually being accomplished.  I've also heard it used for driving around on errands. Again, small tasks are being accomplished without a sense of urgency.     

Dithering implies indecision.  It's like the proverbial donkey caught between two bales of hay and unable to decide which to eat first.  My Aunt Loretta described the family on the day of her DD's Wedding as 'Running around like chickens with their hats off'. 

That's dithering. 

A perfect musical example of dithering is the overture to 'The Marriage of Figaro'.