Author Topic: Adopting 2 feral kittens (possibly today!) NEW PIC #133!  (Read 10790 times)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Adopting 2 feral kittens (possibly today!)
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 10:16:33 PM »
I had to move them to my spare bedroom, where they seem much happier and much more relaxed.  They still want to hide, but we are spending a lot of time holding them, talking to them, petting, feeding treats, etc.  It seems to be working!

They really are cuddle bunnies.  One day soon they're going to be the snuggliest kitties ever.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
What sweethearts.  I have no advice, but just wanted to chime in to say it's awesome you're giving them a home, and please keep the stories and photos coming!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 10:44:28 PM »
Awwww....armpit kittens are the best!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Pippen

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 11:18:55 PM »
The photos are so cute. You are a braver woman than me in giving a cat a bath. Full credit.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 11:19:58 PM »
That is so sweet!  Your little tuxie could be related to my Carmen.  Tuxies are very smart kitties, so be sure to provide lots of toys.

furrcats

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 03:12:44 AM »
Lovely photos

Jones

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »
Ack the furry cuteness! I'm in love!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 11:10:44 AM »
I went to the store and got some tiny jars of meaty baby food and some baby spoons.

According to their reactions, it is the BEST TREAT EVER!

Every time I enter the room, unless it is an actual meal time, I give them each a little spoonful of this baby food.  This morning, one of them actually approached me.  She actually came over to where I was sitting.  First time!  Of course, she went right back under the bed, but it's another baby step.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »
I went to the store and got some tiny jars of meaty baby food and some baby spoons.

According to their reactions, it is the BEST TREAT EVER!

Every time I enter the room, unless it is an actual meal time, I give them each a little spoonful of this baby food.  This morning, one of them actually approached me.  She actually came over to where I was sitting.  First time!  Of course, she went right back under the bed, but it's another baby step.

That is excellent progress!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
That is fabulous news!

Reika

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 12:24:42 PM »
At least they're easy to bribe. :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
My Harley was a feral kitten. Congrats, Shoo!

finecabernet

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2012, 01:45:14 PM »
Congrats to you! Feral cats, if they can overcome their fear of humans, are the cuddliest pets ever. My cat Lucinda, who had been named after Lucifer because she had been so hissy toward humans, was the snuggliest pet I'd ever met once she overcame her fear. I think the secret with her was giving her space.

travestine

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 03:19:10 AM »
I adopted two feral kitties at 4.5 months. We gave them plenty of space and let them come to us on their own terms and they became the most loving, sweetest kitties. Seven years later, they are the dearest cats ever. Ferals are definitely worth the time and effort.  Good for you and congrats - they are so gorgeous!
"A "no" uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a "yes" merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."
  Mahatma Ghandi

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:48 AM »
Just as an FYI - the younger the cats are the easier it is to tame them. Giving them space and letting them come to you works best on young cats. It worked with the 5 month olds I took in. But the 3 - 4 year cat? She died after three years in my house and at the end I could pet her while I was giving her ham as a treat but if i walked to close to where she was sleeping any other time she would hiss at me. I should have put her in a cage to begin with so I could do intense socializing with her, but by the time I was able to recapture her in the house I decided that after this long I could live with a house feral and didn't want to take the time and effort to socialize her.