Author Topic: Thanksgiving side dishes you like.  (Read 1548 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Thanksgiving side dishes you like.
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
This is a side I'll be making for Thanksgiving. 
Cut a butternut squash in half, seed it and roast it, remove it from the peel and refrigerate it. Before serving, drizzle it with extra virgin olive oil and a little salt and pepper. 
I know it is a good combo and I love it cold, but if you saw this on a table would you avoid it for it's simplicity? I think maybe some paprika on top just for looks.  Or what herb goes good with this squash?  Ginger?  If anyone has any ideas of what else one could add I'd appreciate it. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Thanksgiving side dishes you like.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
I like this with mediterranean spices - i would drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle thick salt, crushed garlic, a little crushed chili and probably some fresh chopped coriander or mint or thyme or oregano.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »
The butternut squash soup I make from a recipe Venus posted has some ginger in it.  It also calls for chipotle but I use chili powder, instead, because that's what I have.  So I think the paprika would work well, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
I'm normally an all natural from scratch type of chef, but I have a great fondness for the green bean casserole. This year however I'm cooking for a more discerning group so I'll be making the "real" version of that.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »
I know it is a good combo and I love it cold, but if you saw this on a table would you avoid it for it's simplicity?

If it's tried and true for you and you love it, why not serve it to your guests?

Sometimes simplicity is the better approach . . . In fact, I watched an episode of "Chopped" last night and one chef was chopped because he overdid the flavors, trying to get too much taste into one dish.

I think that you should stick with your recipe. Sounds yummy! ;D

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Thanks you guys!  Food for thought! (intentional pun  ;) )
Everything sounds so good and I am definitely going to try the suggestions.  I might do two versions. because I do love spicy stuff!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Minmom3

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 08:24:41 PM »
Real mashed potatoes with real gravy, and lots of that gravy.
Roasted brussels sprouts.
Good stuffing.  DH has a fondness for stuffing made in the crock pot, and it's Not Good.  I prefer America's Test Kitchen stuffing, it's easy and yummy.

Mom's family always did a crab cocktail too, and I miss that.  DH doesn't like it, so it doesn't happen, but it's yummy.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
Real mashed potatoes with real gravy, and lots of that gravy.
Roasted brussels sprouts.
Good stuffing.  DH has a fondness for stuffing made in the crock pot, and it's Not Good.  I prefer America's Test Kitchen stuffing, it's easy and yummy.

Mom's family always did a crab cocktail too, and I miss that.  DH doesn't like it, so it doesn't happen, but it's yummy.

I second the mashed potatoes; making those AND roasted brussel sprouts.  and trying a Cooks Illustrated recipie for sausage and cornbread stuffing for the first time.

snowflake

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 09:11:46 PM »
Roast sweet potatoes.  ROAST, don't steam or boil.

Make potatoes gratin with white cheddar.

I promise you will never regret it (unless you are allergic to dairy.)

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 06:59:55 AM »
Layered salad.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 07:04:35 AM »
i'm probably not making thanksgiving dinner (it's not celebrated here, and it's a regular work day. sometimes i do have a meal but i don't think it's going to happen this year).

but - my favorite sides:
*canned jellied cranberry sauce. i've never actually had 'from scratch.
*mashed potatoes.
*stuffing - usually bread stuffing with onion, mushroom, and celery
*roast sweet potatoes - scrubbed, cut into "fingers" lengthwise, drizzled with olive oil, a little lemon juice, garlic, kosher salt, cumin and roasted.
*some kind of fresh salad
*assorted relishes, pickles, olives, spreads etc

In fact, i could do without the turkey and just have a meal of all the sides!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

POF

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 07:08:37 AM »
i'm probably not making thanksgiving dinner (it's not celebrated here, and it's a regular work day. sometimes i do have a meal but i don't think it's going to happen this year).

but - my favorite sides:
*mashed potatoes.
*roast sweet potatoes - scrubbed, cut into "fingers" lengthwise, drizzled with olive oil, a little lemon juice, garlic, kosher salt, cumin and roasted.

Me too ! In fact - I think I only cook a turkey in order to make gravy - I make a mean homemade gravy.

I will buy the turkey tenderloins and grill them occasionally and make the T- DAY sides.  ( I have to cheat the gravy though )

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 08:45:42 AM »

but - my favorite sides:
*mashed potatoes.

Me too ! In fact - I think I only cook a turkey in order to make gravy - I make a mean homemade gravy.

I will buy the turkey tenderloins and grill them occasionally and make the T- DAY sides.  ( I have to cheat the gravy though )

Don't cheat the gravy.  Buy turkey wings or tails, usually frozen, and use to make a stock. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »
Simple is perfectly fine.  Good food can and should speak for itself. 

There's always the question of good mashed potatoes with Horseradish or roasted sweet potatoes.  We don't like gravy with the roasted sweets but the gravy is good on the bird and the stuffing. 

Mr. Thipu surprised me by suggesting brussel sprouts.  He's always said he hates the things but I love them.

We'll have canned cranberry sauce.  I've made my own with a little orange zest and red wine.  It's delicious but the batch is just too big for two people.  Still, you need some cranberries for the next-day turkey sandwiches with mayo, stuffing and cranberries.  Those can be better than the original bird. 

Maude

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 03:20:04 PM »
Why do you have to have "side dishes"? Why not serve turkey and vegetables and gravy on each person's plate?