Author Topic: How was I supposed to know??  (Read 10351 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: How was I supposed to know??
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
I'm getting stuck on the rude employee interrupting a conversation she wasn't involved in statement. I would hope another employee would jump in if the one I was speaking with was confused and I would be really upset if I couldn't eat ham and ended up with a ham & cheese biscuit because an employee didn't want to interrupt.  I don't have an expectation of privacy when placing a fast food order and wouldn't consider the second employee to be interrupting.

She was the one in charge of getting the items from the display, she was probably waiting to see what it was that the OP wanted and hurry the transaction up with the 15 people now waiting behind her.

This does not explain her nasty tone. Knitterly says she had a nasty tone and I am not inclined to tell her that her perception and judgment are incorrect.
I simply explained to Joeschmoe why this lady might have interrupted/joined in the conversation as discussed earlier in the thread.  I never said it explained her tone however it was.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
I'm getting stuck on the rude employee interrupting a conversation she wasn't involved in statement. I would hope another employee would jump in if the one I was speaking with was confused and I would be really upset if I couldn't eat ham and ended up with a ham & cheese biscuit because an employee didn't want to interrupt.  I don't have an expectation of privacy when placing a fast food order and wouldn't consider the second employee to be interrupting.

She was the one in charge of getting the items from the display, she was probably waiting to see what it was that the OP wanted and hurry the transaction up with the 15 people now waiting behind her.

This does not explain her nasty tone. Knitterly says she had a nasty tone and I am not inclined to tell her that her perception and judgment are incorrect.
I simply explained to Joeschmoe why this lady might have interrupted/joined in the conversation as discussed earlier in the thread.  I never said it explained her tone however it was.

I am speaking about this post you made earlier:

Being that you waited for a long time and there were about 15 people behind you, maybe the lady thought you wouldn't be able to hear her and spoke loudly.  You mentioned you were weepy/emotional on cold meds which could make you more sensitive to the volume of her voice.  And when she saw that she upset you, she tried to tell you why.  I wouldn't write to corporate personally.  But I can see why if you would want to.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »

Being that you waited for a long time and there were about 15 people behind you, maybe the lady thought you wouldn't be able to hear her and spoke loudly.  You mentioned you were weepy/emotional on cold meds which could make you more sensitive to the volume of her voice.  And when she saw that she upset you, she tried to tell you why.  I wouldn't write to corporate personally.  But I can see why if you would want to.
Aah you posted the wrong quote tree I guess.  And I didn't tell her she was incorrect, just another scenario.  If you reread the bolded, I told her I understood why if she wanted to contact them. 

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2012, 04:30:08 PM »

I had a reply typed up, and then I went to have a bath and came back and wish now I'd posted earlier... 

It was a little out of my way, but I went back and grabbed a "tell us how we did" feedback card and dropped it off.  It forced me to keep the details quick and simple, and let me rate individual aspects of the transaction on a scale (ie, cleanliness, speed, politeness, etc).

For those who guesses this was Tim Horton's, you;'re right.  And for those who have been there, the inappropriateness of the rude employee is a little clearer to understand.  I don't like calling out places by name... but I guess the fact that I've already mentioned being Canadian and needing/wanting my coffee point other Canadians to the coffee shop as much as a neon sign.   ;)

This is how most locations are set up.  There is a single line for the row of cashiers (2 at this location) who take the next customer in line as they finish their previous transactions.  After the cashier rings you through, your order pops up on a computer screen behind the counter and one of a few other employees put your order together.  Usually (though not always, and not at this location) the cashier will make the coffee while the other employee grabs whatever other parts of your order.  It's a pretty efficient setup.

Sure there were 15 people behind me when I got up to the counter, but there were 15 or so people in front of me when I got in line, too.  The cashier who was serving me was putting through about 2 customers for every one that the other girl was.  That's neither here nor there, but it does point to her not necessarily needing to be corrected by the employee grabbing the donuts and making the coffees.  Also, since she was not limited to doing just one cashier's order (just whichever one popped up next on the screen), there was really no need for her to put her nose in - she could have just kept going with the next order on the screen while the cashier and I got sorted out.

Anyway, I left my contact info on the feedback card.  I'll see what happens. 

Joeschmo

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2012, 06:10:16 PM »

I understand there are many reasons why the second employee jumped in the conversation to try to help out but what I didn't understand is why the op and others viewed it as interrupting as it was a business transaction not a private conversation.  That must not have been clear in my original post so thank you for trying to explain it to me. 

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2012, 06:38:26 PM »
And of course since you explained it and I reread it, it's perfectly clear what you meant!  Reading fail on my part and I also agree.

Knitterly, that's a great idea in filling out that comment card.  It's one of those things that if they feel it's a cause for improvement, they will contact you.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2012, 09:57:22 PM »

Aah you posted the wrong quote tree I guess.  And I didn't tell her she was incorrect, just another scenario.  If you reread the bolded, I told her I understood why if she wanted to contact them.

KILL THE QUOTE TREES!  >:D  ;)  8)

Seriously, it took me months and months to figure out who said what in quote trees. And, going back and forth between different windows on the same thread throws me for a loop at times.

Thank you for being understanding, Zilla.

DavidH

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
It must have been a particularly heinous tone to have brought on that reactions.

Taking it a different way, the interuption could be seen as being helpful, if you are expecting a cheese biscuit and the other person hadn't informed you that it also contained ham, you might have been quite upset at discovering that on your own.   Interupting to help, particularly in a business transaction is not quite the same as butting into a private conversation. 

I just can't imagine how rudely the person said, "Those are cheese and ham biscuits" that it brought tears to your eyes.  Reading a complaint like that would make me think the person was unbalanced or the most delicate of flowers and throw it out.  It just seems that your reaction was so over the top versus the event that it must have been the cold medication affecting you.

I agree that calling you lovey is inappropriate, but perhaps she was just too shocked to think straight when she realized that she nearly made you cry by letting you know the biscuits were ham and cheese not cheese. 

Fleur

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
It must have been a particularly heinous tone to have brought on that reactions.

Taking it a different way, the interuption could be seen as being helpful, if you are expecting a cheese biscuit and the other person hadn't informed you that it also contained ham, you might have been quite upset at discovering that on your own.   Interupting to help, particularly in a business transaction is not quite the same as butting into a private conversation. 

I just can't imagine how rudely the person said, "Those are cheese and ham biscuits" that it brought tears to your eyes.  Reading a complaint like that would make me think the person was unbalanced or the most delicate of flowers and throw it out.  It just seems that your reaction was so over the top versus the event that it must have been the cold medication affecting you.

I agree that calling you lovey is inappropriate, but perhaps she was just too shocked to think straight when she realized that she nearly made you cry by letting you know the biscuits were ham and cheese not cheese.

I really find the tone of this post quite snarky. Obviously, the OP was there and heard the tone, so I expect the tone was as you sarcastically say 'heinous'. Some people really are that rude, and it is an unfortunate fact that some of them work  as CSRs. To refer to the OP as 'unbalanced' or 'a delicate flower' is rude and unnecessary. I don't see how you can state so categorically that the OP's reaction was over the top. You weren't there, you didn't hear the cashier, so you have no business to cast such aspersions on the OP.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2012, 12:45:20 PM »

I really find the tone of this post quite snarky. Obviously, the OP was there and heard the tone, so I expect the tone was as you sarcastically say 'heinous'. Some people really are that rude, and it is an unfortunate fact that some of them work  as CSRs. To refer to the OP as 'unbalanced' or 'a delicate flower' is rude and unnecessary. I don't see how you can state so categorically that the OP's reaction was over the top. You weren't there, you didn't hear the cashier, so you have no business to cast such aspersions on the OP.

Ditto.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2012, 12:56:35 PM »
Yes, there are some very rude people out there. However, the idea of someone putting so much venom into "It's a ham and cheese biscuit" that it would prompt tears in an average person...well, it's a little difficult to conceptualize. I'm sure we've all had days where little slights or inconveniences felt like slaps in the face, but that doesn't mean those little slights or inconveniences are slaps in the face, KWIM?

I'm not saying this to in any way invalidate the OP's trauma at the hands of a snarky employee, but DavidH has a very valid point: If a manager received a complaint that said "I was told the ingredients of my chosen breakfast sandwich in an aggressive manner.", they might not take it seriously.
Utah

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2012, 01:01:23 PM »
I would take it seriously if the comment did *not* involve the "she even made me cry" comment.

If the comment said, "I was given the information in a really snotty and condescending tone of voice," I'd pay attention.

But yes, if the comment said, "It even made me cry," there would be a credibility loss.

So, keep the extreme drama out and stick to the "snotty tone of voice."

Fleur

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »
Yes, there are some very rude people out there. However, the idea of someone putting so much venom into "It's a ham and cheese biscuit" that it would prompt tears in an average person...well, it's a little difficult to conceptualize. I'm sure we've all had days where little slights or inconveniences felt like slaps in the face, but that doesn't mean those little slights or inconveniences are slaps in the face, KWIM?

I'm not saying this to in any way invalidate the OP's trauma at the hands of a snarky employee, but DavidH has a very valid point: If a manager received a complaint that said "I was told the ingredients of my chosen breakfast sandwich in an aggressive manner.", they might not take it seriously.

Well, of the email was as brief as the bolded, then maybe not. But if Knitterly wrote out the encounter in the detail which she wrote it to ehell, then I don't see why the manager shouldn't take it seriously. I didn't have a problem picturing the scene at all: tone really does make a huge difference. I also thought that DavidH's way of characterising Knitterly was rude-he could have made the same point, politely (as you did) without resorting to snark and insults.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2012, 01:05:41 PM »
At that time, she was an average person but she was an average person who was sick and taking cold medicine which makes her more sensitive than she normally is.