Author Topic: The Re-Gifting Queen  (Read 10108 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: The Re-Gifting Queen
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2012, 09:47:35 AM »
Good for you.  This just confirms she was treating  you that way on purpose.  Otherwise, she would be confused and bewildered instead of blushing and shamefaced.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2012, 10:43:21 AM »
Good for you.  This just confirms she was treating  you that way on purpose.  Otherwise, she would be confused and bewildered instead of blushing and shamefaced.

Oh, I don't know that it confirms she was going it on purpose.

But she definitely realized *now* what was *wrong* with what she was doing. You got through to her, OP!

BarensMom

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
Let us all take a moment to give Rusty a standing ovation for calling out the Re-Gifting Queen on her behavior.  Bravo!

I'm willing to bet a buck that you won't be hearing from her for a while.

Bees

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »
Well done on bringing it out into the open. I hope she gives it some thought and figures out in her own mind, Why.  Why did she need to scrimp on the gifts she gave to you when she was in the inner circle of your family holiday.

And I hope you settled on what you want for the day. If you don't want to include her at your family holiday then don't do it. If you want her there-let her know.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2012, 01:07:18 PM »
...   And I hope you settled on what you want for the day. If you don't want to include her at your family holiday then don't do it. If you want her there-let her know.

Yes, Congratulations on bringing your hurt over this out in the open.

But I am curious like Bees.  You told her that you assumed she'd be spending the holidays with her "special" friends, but it sounded undecided whether or not you really meant it and/or whether or not she was really no longer "automatically" invited.

I agree that you should decide whether to include her or not, but I have a feeling that it was never your intent to really exclude
her.  :)

Rusty

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2012, 11:32:43 PM »
Well, after I said what I had to say to her, she was a bit quiet for a while but I made an effort to be cheery and asked lots of questions about what she's been doing. Gradually she unfroze and before we parted I said "well, I'll give you a call about Xmas arrangements if we can't meet before then.  I definitely intend for her to remain in my inner circle, but I'm glad I said something as I think she was taking me for granted.  She texted me later that day saying it was good to see me (not usual) so I think its made her stop and think.

Nora

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »
That does sound like you shook her up enough to snap out of it. I hope Christmas goes well, let us know!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »
Rusty For The Win!

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »
I have a re-gifter and we joke about it, but we love him! He gets really expensive gifts from people that don't know him well. The last re-gift he gave me has his initial, but I'm okay with a sterling silver Tiffany ink pen with any initial!
OP, i think my feelings would be hurt. If everyone's treated the same, it makes it an adventure, but when there's different levels, it hurts.

(And, RegionMom, I didn't care that my mom got me a Snuggie for Christmas, until my sister told me mom bought her a new set of tires.)

My uncle gave me an old, slightly scratched up fountain pen with his wife's initials on it. With a very faded paper "$3.50" sticker on it. lol

He was super obvious about it too. Handed it to me and said "well I spent $xx on your cousins so you can have this." I laughed at him until i opened it. Then I just cried.

My aunt died when I was four and I really don't remember her, but I'm told I'm just like her. She loved pens, journals and yarn and Uncle just plain loved her. I know it must have been hard to give up anything of hers.

Even though I can't get the ink for it anymore, the pen is still packed away somewhere.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

blueyzca01

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »
I’d have been hurt your “non-special” friend too.  I was initially kind of bothered by my mom’s birthday present his year, but have decided to turn it around and find the humor.

My mother sent me a copy of Chicken Soup for the Woman’s Soul.  Like normal, she inscribed it with the date and a little note for me. 
Trouble is, if she had bothered to open the book a few more pages, she would have found the inscription from me to her, dated Christmas 1997.

Trying to not be really upset (because this is so my mom), I called my dad and told him about it.  He laughed so hard and he reminded me that there was no malice intended.  He made me promise that I would draw it out and make her sweat when I called to razz her about it. 

Blueyzca:  Oh Mom, thank you so much for the book!  How did you know that it would be so perfect?!
Mom:  Well, honey, you’re my daughter.  Of course I know what you’d like.
B: But what made you think of it?
M (starting to hem and haw a little): Oh, sweetie, you know, it just sort of came to me. 
B: Did you leaf through the book at all before you sent it? 
M:  I think I thumbed through a few pages….(now I can hear her really working to think of good answers)

**10 minutes of in-depth cop-like questioning later**

B: Mom, I just wanted to share one of the stories in the book with you.  Oh, wait, I already told you about this particular story!
M: ????
B:  Yeah, back in ’97!!!  Like I wrote on page 11, Mom, when I gave the book to you for Christmas 15 years ago.  You’re so busted!

Courtesy of some of her sisters, I have received some truly atrocious re-gifts, so I guess it runs in the family.  Fortunately, I really do like the book, I now think that this is hysterically funny, and I get to hold this over her head for years to come.   >:D 
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.