Author Topic: Office TV  (Read 2712 times)

JustCallMePat

Office TV
« on: November 18, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »
We have a TV with satellite service in our office.   It's kept tuned to one of the all news stations.  In short, if there's a world event occuring that would be one of our information sources.  During the day, people pause as they pass if there's an interesting story on.  I'm first in each morning and turn everything on, always making sure it's tuned to the Conservative Network.  A co-worker in a nearby office keeps changing to the Liberal Network.  I change it... he changes it (and looks very frustrated and annoyed as he does.)  I sometimes place the remote out of sight, not hidden but set out of open view, just to watch him search for it.   >:D   I just can't resist!

Hmmm... gotta find how the parental controls work on that thing!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Office TV
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:03:51 PM »
We have a TV with satellite service in our office.   It's kept tuned to one of the all news stations.  In short, if there's a world event occuring that would be one of our information sources.  During the day, people pause as they pass if there's an interesting story on.  I'm first in each morning and turn everything on, always making sure it's tuned to the Conservative Network.  A co-worker in a nearby office keeps changing to the Liberal Network.  I change it... he changes it (and looks very frustrated and annoyed as he does.)  I sometimes place the remote out of sight, not hidden but set out of open view, just to watch him search for it.   >:D   I just can't resist!

Hmmm... gotta find how the parental controls work on that thing!

Who owns the tv and who is "in charge"?  Frankly, I think that having it on either conservative or liberal network is asking for workplace strife at some point.  I would try to find a moderate network or leave ti on the weathr channel.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »
I have an odd question - why do you keep it on a conservative station?  Why not a station where it's just the news?  Or a light music station?  Also, it just seems rude for both of you with what you're doing - him for changing it and you for "hiding" the remote.  This feels like something that calls for office rules before something happens.

Also - POD to Sharnita!

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Firecat

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »
Why not just find a more neutral network that won't annoy either of you too much?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »
What you find fun somebody else might find stressful or even hostile.

Firecat

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:22:33 PM »
What you find fun somebody else might find stressful or even hostile.

POD. If it's not a big deal to you what's on, why go out of your way to annoy your coworker? It just seems a little...play-groundish...for what's in theory a group of adults working together.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 08:31:38 PM »
How would you feel if someone did the same thing to you?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:33:31 PM »

I think coworker is doing the smae thing to her and she feels like it is all in fun.  The problem is that not everyone will feel the way she does and it could result in hard feelings and all sorts of problems. 

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »
Excuse me OP, but did you miss the rule about not discussing politics here? This is the third or fourth time I've gagged someone about this. Do it again and it will be permanent.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

O'Dell

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »

I think coworker is doing the smae thing to her and she feels like it is all in fun.  The problem is that not everyone will feel the way she does and it could result in hard feelings and all sorts of problems.

Unless the coworker is also hiding the remote, then he's not doing the same thing as her. And the OP knows it's not all in good fun...she thinks it's funny to upset him. It's a hostile thing to do. Coworker should go to HR.

And frankly the TV should be off if it causes strife.

JustCallMePat: I sometimes place the remote out of sight, not hidden but set out of open view, just to watch him search for it.      I just can't resist! That's rude. Why are you posting about this here? What do you hope to accomplish in terms of conversation?
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman