A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Food

Mashed potatoes... I don't get it

(1/18) > >>

IslandMama:
Reading all the Thanksgiving threads about what's being served and there seems to be a heap of comments about "Mashed potatoes, made from scratch" or "Real mashed potatoes" and it confuses me.  Is it the norm to use a packet of the powdered potato stuff? 

Speaking only for my family and friends (and I'm in Australia if it makes any difference) but I can't think of anyone who does mashed potato from a powder.  We just peel, chop and boil the potatoes and then mash with some butter, pepper and a bit more salt... or any variation like adding sour cream and chives, garlic, parmesan... whatever takes your fancy, really.  And yet it seems we're the anomaly?

sparksals:
Yes there are powdered mashed potatoes but I didn't realize so many used them.  I wouldn't ever consider using boxed ever and I don't know anyone who does.   Unless it is a cheap alternative.

Venus193:
No; you're not an anomaly.  My foodie friends don't use the powder, flakes, or buds.  I suspect those products are popular with people who live alone or only with one other person because it's easier to control the quantity of the end result.

mechtilde:
One of my friends uses vacuum sealed mashed potatoes in sort of plastic pouch things and really likes them- she lives on her own and has arthritis so making them from scratch can be quite inconvenient for her.

I found them to be far too salty and stodgy for me, but then I make mine about 50/50 with swede because it is much lighter texture and has a better flavour IMO. Add pepper and chives to make it into the Scottish dish clapshot- a traditional accompaniment to haggis.

Two Ravens:
I'll be the weird one and say that I love powdered mashed potatoes and usually prefer them to the "made from scratch" kind. It is actually one of my favorite comfort foods. I usually also like to add a dash of balsamic vinegar to them as well. Yum, a big bowl of carby goodness.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version