Author Topic: Mashed potatoes... I don't get it  (Read 11761 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Mashed potatoes... I don't get it
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »
Maybe i am the only person who has ever met anyone who thinks they are somehow more righteous because they cook from scratch instead of mix. Somehow i doubt it, but if it isn't you then it isn't you. As with most things in life, i find it to be kind of amusing.

Edited because scrstch is not a word :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:58:36 PM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »
When I make mashed potatoes, I cut the potatoes into 1" cubes for boiling. They take only about 10 minutes that way. I got a second-hand ricer, and it's magic!  The perfect texture for me.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
Maybe i am the only person who has ever met anyone who thinks they are somehow more righteous because they cook from scratch instead of mix. Somehow i doubt it, but if it isn't you then it isn't you. As with most things in life, i find it to be kind of amusing.

You are definitely not the only one who has met someone who equates moral superiority with effort in the kitchen =).

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »
The more you cook from scratch the more you are what?

I do admit that I am sometimes judgmental about whether people cook or not.  If I were to hear someone complain about the cost of take-out food and find out that person never learned to cook, I'd be judgmental.  Either learn or stop complaining.

As to mashed potatoes, "Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby."

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »

You are definitely not the only one who has met someone who equates moral superiority with effort in the kitchen =).

Oh I've encountered it plenty and in both directions - as in "oh you cook?  You must think you are so much better!" as well as "really?  Boxed? I make that from scratch!"

I think its a Martha Stewart thing - sure you could buy something or use a shortcut but to do it properly one does it not only from scratch but with extra effort and that makes a person better, smarter, prettier, more refined etc (not really of course, but thats the attitude.)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »
I do think Martha Stewart goes overboard.  Making marshmallows to put in your cocoa? 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »

I'm facinated by what people eat and it has nothing to do with morals.  And I completely understand why people outside the US are facinated with our array of convienience products.  They don't have them.  And I haven't seen anyone say they were superior to others because they didn't like the taste of powdered potatos on this board. 

But with anything you are going to find someone who will use their views to make judgements about someone else.

Just like:
The person who voted in the last election fills superior to those who didn't.
The person who wactches PBS Jim Lehar vs Fox news channel
The person who drives a Prius vs a gas guzzler
The person who reads biographies vs Harlequin romances
The person who backpacks through the Patagonia vs the 10 day carribean cruiser

But one of the reasons I like this board is because I don't think people make automatic assumptions about others based on preferences or choices.  I'd hate to see it get to the point poeple refrain from stating their likes and dislikes because they are afraid others will view them as passing moral judgement. 

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »
I made potatoes with shredded potatoes this weekend. They were ok. Boxed probably would have been better but i have to use these potoes before they go bad. I have tendonitis pretty badly, so all that cutting and mashing is usually not going to happen.

How do you do this? I have a real rough time with a peeler (arthritis), and ricing is just a difficult. If I could cook the shreds in just a little water then use my little hand mixer and end up with an edible product, I would be in heaven! Is that what you do?

I  couldn't have done the 20 lbs all at once last week if my granddaughter hadn't peeled for me and I hadn't had the food mill.

For the record, I like boxed cake mixes more than from scratch. We had once when a friend brought a boxed cake which was light and soft and yummy and another, who is a caterer, brought once of hers. Both were iced/frosted, and the Duncan Hines was far superior.

Cookies are another story!

lilfox

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2012, 07:05:36 PM »
I've probably had more instant mashed potatoes than I'm aware of when eating out.  The only time I've noticed is if a restaurant waters down the mix too much or it's grainy.  Otherwise I usually enjoy them especially if there's enough gravy!  And I love KFC potatoes.

At home I always make them by hand because my dad did.  I add some milk, butter or margarine, salt and pepper and mash with a fork because that's what he did.  A few times I have gotten fancy and added sauteed garlic and minced onion but adding garlic powder seemed to do about the same thing (and was much easier).

When I was a kid I liked the boxed au gratin potatoes - I definitely do not like the homemade version though, usually people make them with 'better' cheeses for the flavor.  I unfortunately hate most cheeses so this is not an improvement to me.   :)

kckgirl

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »
I mash my potatoes with a non-electric masher with butter, milk or cream, and salt & pepper, and leave lumps on purpose because we like them that way. I'd probably use flakes or buds on occasion if they tasted a little better. As we can see in this discussion, food tastes really are "different strokes for different folks."
Maryland

threedogs

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »
Pretty sure I've made instant mashed potatoes and enjoyed them - both for the taste and for the convenience of spuds in minutes, but now I read ingredient lists and I can't get past all the non-potato ingredients - mono and diglycerides, corn syrup, flavourings and preservatives to name a few - to really enjoy them.

If I want mashed potatoes just for me, I scrub them and boil them whole or cut in half if they're big.  I don't mind my mash with peel, but if I'm making them for someone else I might peel before I boil or remove the skins after they're cooked.  I usually only mash enough for a meal and then save the rest of the boiled potatoes to reheat as 'home-fries' on the weekend with eggs or for homemade potato skins with cheese, bacon and sour cream.  Yum.

Wench

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2012, 08:33:19 AM »
Is a ricer like a big garlic press? 

I have to admit I have never tried mashed potatoes made from a box except M & S microwave potatoes.  I usually make mash with any sort of potato and add milk and salt.  I add butter when I'm being bad and sometimes cheese or garlic. 

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2012, 08:35:02 AM »
Is a ricer like a big garlic press? 

yes

gingerzing

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2012, 09:04:09 AM »

I'm also fascinated by what people add into their potatoes when they mash them.  My DH's favourite involves chopped, fried bacon, parmesan and sour cream... it's known as Heart Attack potatoes in this house.  :)

Knighthood for mashed potatoes.  YUM.  That sounds delish.
I like roasted garlic in mine.  Or the flavored soft cheese like Laughing Cow wedges (queso fresco and chipotle peppers is really good).  The wedges are sort of like cream cheese or soft goat cheese.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2012, 09:39:09 AM »
We do something like the heart attack potatoes with left-over mashed.  We mix in bits of bacon or ham, sautéed onions and cheese.  The whole thing gets baked.

A steak house we liked used to serve this as potato pie.  Nobody who knew the lace would order any other version of potatoes.  The potato pie was always the first thing to disappear from the plate.