Author Topic: Mashed potatoes... I don't get it  (Read 14512 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Mashed potatoes... I don't get it
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2012, 07:43:56 PM »
You can get creative with cake mixes.  My mother made something absolutely ambrosial with an angel food cake mix. 

She baked two layers in round cake pans and another layer in a cookie sheet. 

First round layer went on the plate and a layer of dark, bitter, buttery chocolate was applied on top. 

The cookie sheet cake received the same chocolate and was then sliced lengthwise.  That was then coiled to form the second layer of the cake. 

The other round layer was then put on top.  The whole cake was then frosted with mocha whipped cream. 

The result was spectacular.  When sliced, the cake had a middle layer with vertical stripes of chocolate.  Despite the angel food, the cake wasn't very sweet.  It was in great demand for Birthday and Anniversary cakes in our family. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
I read ambrosial as abysmal and then got really confused as I started reading the description because it sounded really good.

I think I need a drink...   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lowspark

« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:19 AM »
Wow, Thipu. That sounds amazing. Do you have any pictures?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »
Sadly, no.  The last time I had one of those cakes was about 40 years ago.

gingerzing

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
I bake for fun, and occasionally for money. I always use the "Cake Mix Doctor" recipes with Duncan Hines mixes. They are moister and taste delicious from the day they are made until nearly a week later.

I make all frostings from scratch, with real butter, real sugar, real chocolate, and real vanilla paste.

My mother gave me Cake Mix Doctor as part of my wedding gift.  Love that book. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »
I bake for fun, and occasionally for money. I always use the "Cake Mix Doctor" recipes with Duncan Hines mixes. They are moister and taste delicious from the day they are made until nearly a week later.

I make all frostings from scratch, with real butter, real sugar, real chocolate, and real vanilla paste.

My mother gave me Cake Mix Doctor as part of my wedding gift.  Love that book.

Anne Byrn has 4 books I consider absolutely essential. They are: The Cake Mix Doctor Returns, Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor, The Dinner Doctor, and Entertaining with the Dinner Doctor. I use those recipes very often, without fail.

datcat

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2012, 06:14:02 PM »
I do cook mash from scratch, but using a hand masher always left me with a sore wrist and slightly lumpy mash so now I use this http://preview.tinyurl.com/dyrzoxa (UK site)  or http://preview.tinyurl.com/US-Site. The Masher gives fantastic fluffy results every time

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2012, 11:23:51 PM »
I make real mashed potatoes when I have the time and use the packet when I don't. (Idahoan Four-Cheese instant mashed potatoes, if you want to know...)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »
We always have homemade mashed potatoes if it's to be a side dish, but if it's an ingredient in something else - shepherd's pie, for example - it's just easier to use the instant kind.  Once or twice we've lucked out, and had leftover stew and leftover mashed potatoes in the house at the same time. 

nayberry

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »
i use flakes when making gnocchi, just means i know how much liquid is in it

otherwise i make my own mash, :) always have and i have an irish background so i'd never be forgiven if i didn't!!

Bottlecaps

« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
I prefer real mashed potatoes, but due to cost/storage/cooking limitations in my home, I use instant most of the time these days. What I wouldn't give for a heaping bowl of real mashed potatoes though. :) Maybe I should get some potatoes next time we go grocery shopping and experiment with making real mashed potatoes in the microwave. If anyone already knows of a good, tried-and-true way to accomplish this, please give me a heads up! :)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
It's actually pretty easy.  The secret is to have everything warm.

We wash the potatoes, poke a few holes in them with a fork and microwave them.  Smaller spuds go in about five minutes.  Larger ones are ready in about ten.  Since we like our mashed potatoes with skins, the things can go right into a bowl to be mashed.

Once the potatoes come out, the milk goes into the microwave.  When that's ready we get out the butter, add the milk and mash away.  We've never had a bad batch. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2013, 09:44:27 PM »
We also like the Simply Potatoes brand of real mashed potatoes, available in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. They were buy 1, get 1 free this week!

Specky

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2013, 01:26:07 PM »
Haven't had them in a long time, but when we do:  peel on, lots of lumps, butter, fresh milk/cream (depends on what we have), sea salt, maybe fresh sour cream for taste.  When I first met my DH, he had been trained that lumpy potatoes meant you were a horrid cook.  I love the mouth feel of "real", not homogenized into a paste.  Finally retrained him.  For me, it is all about taste and mouthfeel, as well as avoiding ingredients that make me ill.  We have virtually abandoned pre-made, packaged stuff for that reason.  It can be more work, but it keeps me out of the ER.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
dH makes beautiful mashed potatoes from scratch. Better than my mum's which would sometimes have lumps in it.

I've had powdered while I lived on campus at uni. They were ok, but they were the best food besides what they gave us.