Poll

Does this sound like a good idea for St Patrick's Day?

Sounds great!
3 (7.9%)
Maybe
4 (10.5%)
No
28 (73.7%)
Unknown / Undecided
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Broken Window Glass Cake  (Read 2777 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Broken Window Glass Cake
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »
I'd do ONE flavor with alcohol - something really tasty, like Midori or Chambord. That way you don't OD on the alcohol. Make a test run of the cubes a bit in advance though - sometimes liquors don't mix well with the jello.

Sounds lovely to me, and I'd enjoy a piece. You might want to call it something different, though, with liquor involved - tipsy cake comes to mind, even though that's something else entirely.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 11:02:51 AM »
I don't have the time to make a test run of this so I guess I won't do the alcohol version until I can do one that's all red, since flavor compatibility is the main issue.

There wouldn't be enough alcohol in one serving to inebriate the consumer, as the entire cake would have only about 12 ounces altogether of it.

I'm talking to Eunice in a little while to get an idea of how many guests there will be.  Another idea that just occurred to me would be to make a second batch of firm lime jello and cut shamrocks out of it for decoration (I have shamrock cookie cutters).

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »
I would use a citrus vodka for the lime, not creme de menthe.

jmarvellous

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 12:16:58 PM »

While I would never eat this dessert (don't like or eat Jell-O -- and it's not vegetarian), I agree with WillyNilly that a citrus vodka or lemoncello would be much better than mint with a citrus Jell-O flavor. And definitely just one type of alcohol, and far less of it than you would use in a shot.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 12:32:30 PM »
Update:

I just had a conversation with Eunice about this and I will not be making it after all.  The issue is not the alcohol but the fact that there will not be adequate refrigerator space on the day to accommodate this cake until it is served later into the party.

I'll be doing the Grasshopper Pie and the Mandarin Orange one and looking for shamrocky things at the Entenmann's outlet store. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 12:41:21 PM »

While I would never eat this dessert (don't like or eat Jell-O -- and it's not vegetarian), I agree with WillyNilly that a citrus vodka or lemoncello would be much better than mint with a citrus Jell-O flavor. And definitely just one type of alcohol, and far less of it than you would use in a shot.

Ooooh or Midori (melon liquor) if you want sweet & green, although i think citrus with citrus is best - lemoncello is an excellent suggestion.

(I know you aren't doing this for this party, but for future reference  :D)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »
For future reference, if you are using alcohol in the Jello, you have to cut down on the total amount of liquid used or it won't set properly.  I usually use two packages of Jello, dissolve with 1 cup of boiling water and add 1 cup of alcohol in place of the cold water.  (This is for Jello shots.)

I also don't think I'd use a bunch of different alcohol flavours.  I think I'd use one flavoured alcohol in one of the Jellos and use vodka in the other two, if I wanted alcohol in all of the Jellos.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 01:26:29 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I think this dessert will wait until another occasion when I have no other food responsibility and can just arrive as a normal guest.

Sometime before Easter I will have to practice the Rainbow Cake with the hope that I can accomplish that one (which requires staying home all day to do because of the procedure).