Author Topic: Vegemite  (Read 8696 times)

Shotochick

• An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad
Re: Vegemite
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »
Another Aussie here....I like it on toast with lots of butter (or on a sandwich with peanut butter and no butter at all!)

I dont like drinking it, although my Mum and Grandmother do, but I DO use it instead of a stockcube in gravy and meatloaf!
An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad: www.aussiefoodie.blogspot.com

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 05:23:31 PM »
A kiwi here.  We have a crisis in the land of the long white cloud.  The second Christchurch earthquake destroyed the factory that makes Marmite (which is not the same as British Marmite).  It is know as marmageddon.  Now if you want marmite on your toast commonly with thin sliced tomato, you are plum out of luck.  I found a cafe with supplies of marmite and drive right across Auckland for breakfast once a week, just to indulge myself.  And no I am not going to reveal which one it is.

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 05:43:17 AM »
Marmageddon! Hilarious! But for a while I thought that someone had outlawed the purchase of Marmite in Australia.  I hope Christchurch continues to recover from the quake...and that Marmite is back on the shelves soon.

I don't eat Vegemite but my son has on bread, no butter for school lunch most days. My sister uses it to help mouth ulcers (I have no idea how this helps but she swears by it) and she puts it in savoury mince.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 04:00:31 PM »
I have long held the theory that vegemite is an addictive substance.   

We start off small children with a tiny smear on toast fingers, gradually building up to more aggressive dosages as we get older.

I love vegemite on fresh white bread, with thick butter and absolutely thick, black splodges of vegemite.  Yum!  Unfortunately I really can't eat bread these days, so a small indulgence in good ol' vegemite is a rare treat.  Cruskits work to deliver the required hit.

I've tried Marmite, it's just not the same, the taste is different and nowhere near as aggressive as vegemite. 

My ex loves vegemite and banana sandwiches.  No, sorry, I could never go there...  but it is great to add to roasts, crockpots, savoury mince dishes etc.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 04:59:37 PM »
I've tried Marmite, it's just not the same, the taste is different and nowhere near as aggressive as vegemite. 

A Brit posting here -- I've tried Vegemite, and considered it to be like a slightly feeble and "watered-down" version of British Marmite. Obviously, people's mileages vary, and "de gustibus" -- it would seem that you, Julian, find the exact opposite to be the case, from me.

And amandaelizabeth writes of the New Zealand version of Marmite -- "(which is not the same as British Marmite). It is known as marmageddon."

From that context, I take it than NZ marmite is stronger-and-fiercer than British. Don't reckon it would be to my taste -- for me, the British variety would seem to be just right.

(I suspect that the French would think all of us, and our various yeast spreads, totally mad.)

Shotochick

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 04:15:47 AM »
And amandaelizabeth writes of the New Zealand version of Marmite -- "(which is not the same as British Marmite). It is known as marmageddon."

From that context, I take it than NZ marmite is stronger-and-fiercer than British. Don't reckon it would be to my taste -- for me, the British variety would seem to be just right.

I think Marmageddon is more that the Kiwis cant get any homebrewed stash since the earthquake destroyed the factory.....its on par to the All Blacks not winning a TriNations.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 06:54:27 AM »

I think Marmageddon is more that the Kiwis cant get any homebrewed stash since the earthquake destroyed the factory.....its on par to the All Blacks not winning a TriNations.

Thanks -- I get it now; I failed, earlier, to notice Brisvegasgal's post. (Scenarios envisaged of -- while the factory is out of action -- people trying to make their own: illicit Marmite stills operating deep in the bush -- a bad batch can make you blind or delirious...)

Shotochick

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »
[Thanks -- I get it now; I failed, earlier, to notice Brisvegasgal's post. (Scenarios envisaged of -- while the factory is out of action -- people trying to make their own: illicit Marmite stills operating deep in the bush -- a bad batch can make you blind or delirious...)

I just spluttered my tea all over my laptop. I wish they would distill something like that...and give it to the All Blacks....so the Wallabies can get some silverware again!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »

A Brit posting here -- I've tried Vegemite, and considered it to be like a slightly feeble and "watered-down" version of British Marmite. Obviously, people's mileages vary, and "de gustibus" -- it would seem that you, Julian, find the exact opposite to be the case, from me.

(I suspect that the French would think all of us, and our various yeast spreads, totally mad.)

I haven't tried British Marmite, just the Aussie version.  Maybe it's different again.  It was definitely rather bland in comparison.

Hmm this opens up the option of a World Marmite Tasting Tour - who's in?   >:D

cabbageweevil

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 07:20:54 AM »
World Marmite Tasting Tour -- great idea !  I wonder what other parts of the British Commonwealth have their own versions... southern Africa?  India? -- no, I suspect it wouldn't be quite their thing...

Elisabunny

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 04:49:56 PM »
World Marmite Tasting Tour -- great idea !  I wonder what other parts of the British Commonwealth have their own versions... southern Africa?  India? -- no, I suspect it wouldn't be quite their thing...

Curried marmite?
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

cabbageweevil

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »

Curried marmite?

Camellia Panjabi in her book "Fifty Great Curries of India", includes a recipe for "creamy potato curry" which does the seemingly unlikely thing of bringing Cheddar cheese into Indian cuisine. This dish is claimed to be the invention of a chef, of radical and innovative genius, based in Lucknow. I'd think that if anybody could do the same for Marmite, it would be this guy !

jmarvellous

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
I see Marmite and Vegemite both at our big international grocer (in the British aisle; there's not a separate English-speaking Pacific nations aisle) in Texas and at the national chain Cost Plus/World Market. I have seen Vegemite at our regular, large grocer and health food stores occasionally.

I have never tried it because I figure that with all my condiments filling my shelves, there's no need to add another.

amandaelizabeth

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 04:23:12 AM »
See, no marmite in kiwi land and  the All Blacks lose to the English.   Alas and lack a day. 

amandaelizabeth

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 08:31:32 PM »
Picture in our paper this morning showing a cafe door with the following notice

'No marmite or cash kept on the premises'

Things are getting desperate over here.