Author Topic: Vegemite  (Read 8976 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Vegemite
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »
I recently had my first taste

Spread lightly on a slice of warm toast, the stuff was quite nice but it reminded me of Bovril. In my experience, Bovril is usually used to make a warm drink.  Do Aussies do the same with Vegemite?

I keep thinking of a line from the Men at Work song. 

I made him a Vegemite sandwich'. 

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Vegemite
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 03:17:49 PM »

You found vegemite in the US? I really want to try it. My friend picked up a jar in Australia, but to my knowledge it was a keepsake and never opened ... and that was when she worked at the Olymics there, so i doubt it is any kind of tasty anymore.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

gingerzing

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:20:41 PM »
I have seen Marmite in my grocery store here in Iowa.  (Sort of the British version of Vegemite, or Vegemite is the Aussie version of Marmite, depending on who you talk to)

I tried it once in college (we had a small deli-like restaurant that featured Aussie things like meat pies) ...the smell threw me.

IslandMama

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:57:18 PM »
No, we don't make a hot drink from it.  We have it on toast, we have it on sandwiches (especially good if you add lettuce and sliced cheddar to it, although a friend of mine prefers Jarlsberg) and some of us have been known to eat a small spoon for no good reason other than they wanted Vegemite.  :)  You can put a spoon or so into a soup for a flavour boost, I personally rub it on roast beef before cooking it... a little extra flavour, some nice caramelisation and it gives the pan juice gravy an even better flavour.  :)

Margo

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
Yes, you can use marmite to make a hot drink if you want (I wouldn't )

I believe marmite came first. Vegemite started being made when the marmite imports stopped during the war (although I can't now remember if it was WWI or WWII)

Marmite doesn't go off so the Olympic jar would be just fine. (I've just finished a jar which had a use by date of 2002, it was absolutely fine.)

I understand from my US based expat. friends that you can buy it on Amazon, but only in trays of 24 jars at a time, which is quite a commitment!

(and do check YouTube for Amanda Palmer's 'Vegemite (the black death) song)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »

I believe marmite came first. Vegemite started being made when the marmite imports stopped during the war (although I can't now remember if it was WWI or WWII)

Marmite doesn't go off so the Olympic jar would be just fine. (I've just finished a jar which had a use by date of 2002, it was absolutely fine.)

I understand from my US based expat. friends that you can buy it on Amazon, but only in trays of 24 jars at a time, which is quite a commitment!

No kidding. Thanks for the info. I assumed since it was made from yeast it would go bad pretty easily. Shows what i know :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
I did not find Vegemite in the USA.

We were on a cruise ship and one morning, a jar of Vegemite showed up on the breakfast condiment tray.  It was only there for one day but it was a neat thing to find.

It was very salty but also very tasty.  It reminded me of a concentrated version of 'Gravy Master'.  This is something you add to soups, stews and gravy.  It contains no meat but gives a good punch to meat dishes. 

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »
The trick with Vegemite is not to treat it like peanut butter, ie don't slather it on the bread. A thin smear is all you need. It is VERY tasty. I love it on white toast with butter and a cup of tea.

Victoria

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 03:05:55 AM »
I like Vegemite now... wasn't so much of a fan when I mistook it for Nutella the first time I tried it. Vegemite is not Nutella :P
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

missmolly

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 06:14:50 AM »
For those who are new to vege/marmite, I humbly suggest this recipe:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/SPAGHETTI-WITH-MARMITE-5306

Sounds bizzare but it really works. I think it's great way to introduce newcomers to vegemite while keeping people who've been reared on it, (like me!) rather pleased.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 06:42:35 AM »

We only eat vegemite very rarely. We eat jam or peanut butter instead.
You must eat it spread thin, make it thick and it will burn your mouth.  :-X
Stewart/Colbert '16

Wench

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 08:27:18 AM »
The best and one of the naughtiest ways to eat marmite is on crumpets with lots of butter and a thin to medium spread of marmite.  Some people also like to have cheese with them but butter and marmite is good enough!

I also use marmite as stock but it can be overpowering if you use too much.  I have tried Vegemite but it tasted like slight off marmite to me.  Its a good substitute for marmite though.

Margo

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 09:00:42 AM »

No kidding. Thanks for the info. I assumed since it was made from yeast it would go bad pretty easily. Shows what i know :)

It's made from yeast, but is very salty. I guess the salt acts as a preservative.

gingerzing

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:06:40 AM »
I like Vegemite now... wasn't so much of a fan when I mistook it for Nutella the first time I tried it. Vegemite is not Nutella :P

:o
Yikes!  no, it isn't nutella.   :P
LOL

CakeEater

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 02:16:05 AM »
Aussie here. Actually, my grandmother used to make cups of hot vegemite. I remember her drinking it when I was a child. Hot water with a teaspoon of vegemite stirred through. I believe it was some kind of thing to drink when you were ill and couldn't eat.

I like it on toast with margarine. A thin smear as recommended earlier.