Author Topic: Vegemite  (Read 7367 times)

Shotochick

• An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad
Re: Vegemite
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 02:57:09 AM »
Amanda you cracked ,me up - I spat tea!
An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad: www.aussiefoodie.blogspot.com

Snooks

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 08:58:58 AM »
I haven't had marmite in a long time and now I really want some.  Word to the wise - marmite cheddar cheese is not the same as a cheese and marmite sandwich.  I don't know how they took two great things that compliment each other and made them into one horrible thing that's only fit for the bin.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »
Marmite and cheese (two excellent things in their own right) in any way combined?  Sorry, but to me -- in words from one of my favourite sci-fi novel series, uttered by the hero's rather dim sidekick when confronted with a particularly weird feat of genetic engineering: "Now that is just wrong".

Snooks

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 05:17:27 PM »
Cheese and marmite sandwich = good (and fairly common I thought)
Marmite cheese sandwich = oh so nasty

NestHolder

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
Marmite - awesome stuff.  I've certainly made a hot drink from hot water and a spoonful of Marmite, it's quite comforting when one has a cold.  Didn't care for Vegemite, which I seem to recall tasting as 'not quite as good as Marmite'.  A bit like having 'blackcurrant squash' instead of Ribena.

In a side note, I attribute to my consumption of Marmite the fact that mosquitos avoid me and bite my husband instead. 

cabbageweevil

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »
Marmite-related weird things: at Christmas not just-gone, but the one before, my brother discovered Marmite-flavoured chocolate, and out of curiosity, bought us a bar apiece.  Some seemingly-bizarre things can be done with chocolate, but they nevertheless "work" -- who'd have imagined dark chocolate with chilli? -- but he and I agreed (and he's more adventurous then me food-wise) that the Marmite job was, for us, not one of those. It seemed just peculiar; though made with dark chocolate, when actually eating it, it somehow tasted more like milk chocolate, with only the faintest awareness of Marmite. Subsequently, there was a strong Marmite aftertaste; in a not totally pleasant way, we agreed -- though we both like Marmite. For brother and me -- others' mileages could well vary -- something which might have had possibilities, but didn't really make the cut.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »
I've tried Marmite and I found it way too sweet to my taste.

But yes, I was fought up in Vegemite. It's great to have on toast when you are hungover or sick. If I am sick and need something I always ask for Vege on toast and its sure to perk you up.

My nan used to use it in her gravy. My Dad used to have the stock cube and Vege thing. But spread it thin! I don't have mine very thing, but it does burn your mouth if you aren't used to it.

How thick your Vegemite is is very much a personal thing,

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »
oooh Hallelujah, thank goodness

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10860726

Look for more cheerful postings from me after February, and improved performance from the All Blacks.  However even this joyful news will not rescue the Black Caps, our national cricket team.

WithoutIssue

• Coffee & Cat Connoisseur
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 03:32:42 AM »
oooh Hallelujah, thank goodness

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10860726

Look for more cheerful postings from me after February, and improved performance from the All Blacks.  However even this joyful news will not rescue the Black Caps, our national cricket team.

Black Caps did, surprisingly, beat SA in the one day series! Never mind that failed Mayan prophecy this could be the true harbinger of doom!
A cynic is what the idealist calls a realist.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 04:41:04 AM »
Still no marmite and Kenya won the wellington 7's.  Doom indeed.

Leafy

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 04:01:32 AM »
I like Vegemite now... wasn't so much of a fan when I mistook it for Nutella the first time I tried it. Vegemite is not Nutella :P

Yes, vegemite definitely needs to be treated differently to nutella. I remember when I was about 5 years old I whinged to my mum that she never gave me enough vegemite so she let me spread it myself. I slathered it on like nutella. The pain of pretending that there was nothing wrong while eating my way through that lives with me still.

Amara

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 02:48:08 PM »
So, Australian e-Hellions, is the Kraft version available on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/Kraft-Vegemite-400g-Jar/dp/B002O10K6C ) a good one to use? (Kraft makes our infamous Cheez Whiz, I think, so that tells ya a lot.) Or is there another name I should look for?

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 08:52:44 PM »
Hi Amara

Kraft is THE vegemite.  So if you're feeling brave, go for it!

(Hint - hot buttered toast, just a wee smear of vegemite to start with.  Barely darken the toast.  It's how we get our kids addicted as toddlers!)

Amara

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 09:32:06 PM »
Thanks!

Snooks

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 03:05:42 PM »
I like Vegemite now... wasn't so much of a fan when I mistook it for Nutella the first time I tried it. Vegemite is not Nutella :P

Yes, vegemite definitely needs to be treated differently to nutella. I remember when I was about 5 years old I whinged to my mum that she never gave me enough vegemite so she let me spread it myself. I slathered it on like nutella. The pain of pretending that there was nothing wrong while eating my way through that lives with me still.

My mum did the same to me with Marmite.