Author Topic: Vegemite  (Read 8099 times)

Bottlecaps

Re: Vegemite
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »
I like Vegemite now... wasn't so much of a fan when I mistook it for Nutella the first time I tried it. Vegemite is not Nutella :P

Yes, vegemite definitely needs to be treated differently to nutella. I remember when I was about 5 years old I whinged to my mum that she never gave me enough vegemite so she let me spread it myself. I slathered it on like nutella. The pain of pretending that there was nothing wrong while eating my way through that lives with me still.

My mum did the same to me with Marmite.

I'm in the U.S. and was under the impression for the longest time that Vegemite & Marmite and Nutella were similar products. I have yet to try Vegemite, but I'm so glad that here a few weeks ago I found out that they're not the same, before I try Vegemite - lest I would have ended up in the same predicament.  :P
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

ellasaunt

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 12:04:23 PM »
amandaelizabeth - any sign of Marmite yet? I flew home to NZ for Christmas (about as far south as you can go) and was truly dismayed to find there was NO Marmite. I live in Europe now, and can categorically say that English Marmite and our black gold are not the same thing. I am really craving the taste of white toast, butter and a good helping of Marmite.......

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »
Funny this came up today.  We recently found Marmite and we all love it.  We buy a tub of butter, bring it to room temperature and add marmite to it and mix well.  Chill.  And that's our "toast" butter.

I also made Marmite Chicken, OMIGOSH (sorry for yelling) but man was that the best tasting chicken.  I also made Marmite bread boule.  Also tasty.  We have succumbed to the Marmite side.  :D   I need to find vegemite here now to try it.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »
Zilla, a former colleague swears by the vegemite and cold roast beef sandwich - he thought it gave the 'middle meat' the taste of the scrumptious ends of the roast.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »
No sign of marmite yet.  They promised it for february, and i spent a morning chasing a truck through the Auckland motorway system, after thinking it had some on board.  Alas no.  Now they say it will be the middle of March.  I have lost hope. 

Still our cricket team performance has picked up, so it is not all bad news.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 10:03:25 PM »
Yipee guess what I bought today.  Yes marmite is back in the supermarket.  If I could get the photo from the phone to here I would show you a whole shelf full of marmite.  Apparently it was in store on Tuesday but embargoed until yesterday.  So guess what I am having for lunch.  I have bought the Vogel's and the tomato is sliced and ready................

ellasaunt

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2013, 12:31:54 PM »
Great news!!! My address is....... :)

Clarissa

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2013, 02:48:55 PM »
I'm British, and I've always thought that Vegemite is an Aussie version of marmite. To me, bovril is a drink. Marmite is to spread thinly on toast, and bovril is a similar tasting hot drink. They used to sell bovril drinks at football matches. It's been a while since I've been to one, they may still do so.

blahblahblah

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2013, 05:00:52 PM »
I recently tried vegemite for the first time. I was at a B&B at the time, and the owner advised me of the "correct" way to use it, so I didn't make the same mistake as many others have done in spreading it too thickly. So I just had a very thin scrape on a piece of toast. To me, it just tasted...salty. I couldn't really get much of a read on it other than that. When I said so, the B&B owner said, "Yeah, that's essentially what vegemite is. It's salty."

And it was pretty dang salty even with just that thin scrape, I can imagine the unpleasant surprise that would have awaited me if I had spread it on like peanut butter. The B&B owner told me a story of someone who mistook the brown paste for chocolate and actually put an entire spoonful in his mouth at once. Poor guy.

kitkatswing

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2013, 08:35:29 PM »
Best use for vegemite?

Poached eggs, instead of using salt or anything, spread a little on your toast before plopping your egg on top.. Its devine!!!

Oh and avocado and vegemite on toast... delish......

katycoo

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »
I recently tried vegemite for the first time. I was at a B&B at the time, and the owner advised me of the "correct" way to use it, so I didn't make the same mistake as many others have done in spreading it too thickly. So I just had a very thin scrape on a piece of toast. To me, it just tasted...salty. I couldn't really get much of a read on it other than that. When I said so, the B&B owner said, "Yeah, that's essentially what vegemite is. It's salty."

And it was pretty dang salty even with just that thin scrape, I can imagine the unpleasant surprise that would have awaited me if I had spread it on like peanut butter. The B&B owner told me a story of someone who mistook the brown paste for chocolate and actually put an entire spoonful in his mouth at once. Poor guy.

Did you butter the toast before putting the vegemite on?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2013, 11:11:56 AM »
The trick with Vegemite is not to treat it like peanut butter, ie don't slather it on the bread. A thin smear is all you need. It is VERY tasty. I love it on white toast with butter and a cup of tea.

We blend butter with marmite and keep it for our toast in the morning.  It's quite delicious. 

blahblahblah

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2013, 02:25:58 PM »

Did you butter the toast before putting the vegemite on?
Yes. The B&B owner said that that was the best way to eat it.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »
I love it on crumpets, but I also like crumpets with honey or peanut butter, DH insists that vegemite is the only thing worth having on crumpets.

EllenS

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
I found Marmite in the "imports" section of a local grocery store (in the US).  They had things like Typhoo tea, and Hob-Nobs as well (I LUVs me some Hob-Nobs)

I wanted to try it because I had read that it is an excellent source of B vitamins, and my dd had been looking peaky.  I gave it to the kids very thinly spread on top of buttered Saltine crackers.  They liked it all right, but do not ask for it.

I also have snuck it into various kinds of gravy and stew, which I think really "deepened" the flavor of the broth.  It reminded me of the drippings from a beef roast, when they have been caramelized.  It is very salty, but also savory/meaty, or I think like the flavor called "Umami"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami