General Etiquette > Family and Children

I'm not being pushy!

(1/6) > >>

Lady Snowdon:
My sister in law and her husband had a new baby girl about three weeks ago, and also have a two year old daughter.  I love holding both of them, talking to them, and just admiring how wonderful they are.  I frequently smile when I hold them or talk to them, because I'm naturally a fairly happy person, and because I think both girls are awesome and it makes me happy to interact with them.  This has caused my in-laws to make a LOT of comments about how wonderful it would be if my DH and I had kids.  This culminated yesterday, when the new baby was baptized.  DH and I are her godparents, so people asked to take pictures of us holding her.  SIL loudly said, "Oh, you guys look like your own little family!  Doesn't it just want to make you hold a baby of your own!".  Her husband looked at her and said, "Wow, don't you think you're being a little pushy?".  Her response was the thread title. 

Well, she is being pushy and I'm not really happy about it.  FIL has made several nasty comments to DH about being ashamed of him for not having kids yet.  MIL has commented that it'd be wonderful if we had kids, so SIL's kids "will have someone to play with as they get older".  It's like the whole family is in on it!  DH and I have discussed having kids, and have decided to wait another year or two.  I'd be a older mom, but right now having kids just isn't in the cards.  Next time someone starts bringing up these comments, what would be some good ways to respond?  This time I just smiled and said, "When someone else volunteers to pay for daycare so I can continue to work" and handed Baby Girl back to her parents for the service. 

QueenofAllThings:
Smile sweetly and say "We're still practicing"  >:D

Really, your only response is humor.

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: Lady Snowdon on November 19, 2012, 06:56:23 PM ---. . .    FIL has made several nasty comments to DH about being ashamed of him for not having kids yet.  ...

--- End quote ---

:o  He really SAYS that?

That's a horrible thing to say to anyone.  How incredibly hurtful this would be if the two of you were struggling with fertility problems, especially if it were an inadequate swim team type problem!! 

I can't imagine why he would not just be incredibly proud that his son grew up to be self sufficient and a great guy!

weeblewobble:

--- Quote from: gramma dishes on November 19, 2012, 07:01:53 PM ---

--- Quote from: Lady Snowdon on November 19, 2012, 06:56:23 PM ---. . .    FIL has made several nasty comments to DH about being ashamed of him for not having kids yet.  ...

--- End quote ---

:o  He really SAYS that?

That's a horrible thing to say to anyone.  How incredibly hurtful this would be if the two of you were struggling with fertility problems, especially if it were an inadequate swim team type problem!! 

I can't imagine why he would not just be incredibly proud that his son grew up to be self sufficient and a great guy!

--- End quote ---

That's horrible.  I think I would offer to remedy FIL's "shame" by not seeing him anymore.

rose red:

--- Quote from: weeblewobble on November 19, 2012, 07:15:27 PM ---That's horrible.  I think I would offer to remedy FIL's "shame" by not seeing him anymore.

--- End quote ---

But not before saying I'm ashamed of him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version