Author Topic: comments on my skin  (Read 8258 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: comments on my skin
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »
Why is it that the people who pride themselves on their frankness and honesty, never seem to have anything GOOD to say?

That is a stunningly accurate point! It never occurred to me before but you are so right. OP, you should say that to him next time he brags about his "brutal honesty". It's along the lines of the other posters who pointed out "Why is his honesty so brutal?"

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2012, 01:37:15 PM »
HIM "Most of my friends appreciate my brutal honesty. I tell them they are balding, that they need braces or whatever and they never get this sensitive. People tell me I am fat and I dont get mad"

"I'm not *most* of your friends. I don't appreciate it. Don't ever do it with me again."

Or

"Here's some brutal honesty for you. You are rude and hurtful. Stop."  (Dollars to donuts he's one who can dish it out but can't take it.)

The argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy. Just because lots of people believe it, or say it, doesn't make it true. He's rude, pure and simple.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 12:04:50 AM »
A good friend of mine has a skin condition, but I don't know exactly what it is. Because I have never asked. It's obvious that she has it, but it's none of my business. She still lives a very full and active life and it doesn't seem to worry her at all. I don't know why people feel the need to comment on every negative thing about someone. Just mind your own dingdangity business. We all know our shortcomings, we don't need them pointed out by a random stranger, or even a good friend. (or our mothers  ::) )

Victoria

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »
Sounds like he is a big clueless oaf.  Too bad it is those kind of comments that stick in your head.  :-\  Why is it that there is always someone who needs to point out things like that?  I'm sure on the days when you are looking especially fabulous, he doesn't run over to let you know. Love grammadishes response.

Well, you can comment that he certainly has a tremendous sense of the obvious. 

What a jerk. 

threadjack:  I have prominent chemical burns on my left arm, and this summer I decided I was going to wear sleeveless tops in the heat, and everyone else was going to have to deal.  A couple of the scars became re-infected, and had to be treated - right before our trip to Walt Disney World.  So I bandaged up and wore my sleeveless tops anyway.  I was in a bathroom washing my hands, when I noticed a girl, about 7 or 8 I guess, couldn't take her eyes off of my arm.  Finally, she blurted out, "what happened to your arm?"  I replied, "Alligator wrestling.  It's not as easy as it looks."  Her jaw dropped.   ;D /threadjack
Great response, but you can take it from a kid, even one as old as 8. They're naturally curious. An adult should mind their manners.

I remember being entranced by a man with one leg at a swimming pool once. He was perfectly good natured about it as he look his prosthetic off to go swimming and I stared and stared. I was about 5.

Victoria

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2012, 01:39:59 PM »
...I remember being entranced by a man with one leg at a swimming pool once. He was perfectly good natured about it as he look his prosthetic off to go swimming and I stared and stared. I was about 5.

This last weekend I heard a talk about Computer Vision and Gesturing, e.g.  You might point a finger a finger to the ceiling and your TV volume goes up.  Someone asked what would happen if someone was missing a finger and tried that.  The answer was that the computer would ignore anything it didn't recognize.  Unlike the human brain that focuses on new objects.  The human brain wants to know precisely what this new and weird variation is.  Even without trying, you would have eventually ignored him.