Author Topic: What's a wedding invite without family drama?  (Read 5584 times)

katycoo

Re: What's a wedding invite without family drama?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 10:48:38 PM »
What about vegetarians?

If you have special dietry requirements it is your responsibility to ensure the host is aware so accomodations can be made.  Special meals are served if required.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 11:06:01 PM »
What about vegetarians?

If you have special dietry requirements it is your responsibility to ensure the host is aware so accomodations can be made.  Special meals are served if required.

So you'd be told ahead of time if the meal was "alternate drop"?  I'd never heard of it before this thread so I am curious.

All the weddings I have attended have been either buffet or choose from menu options when RSVP-ing.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »
Alternate drops are the norm at Australian weddings where plated meals are served.  Other than buffets, I've never encountered any other type of meal service at plated weddings.  I'm sure some couples have had exceptions, but that's what they'd be - the exception rather than the rule.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 11:57:53 PM »
They'll be provided for and we know who they might be so we can ask. The only really dietary thing is my grandfather, who's diabetic. It's s small wedding, we know everyone.

greencat

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 12:47:17 AM »
RSVP yes.  Call the cousin immediately and ask about the food plans with regards to your medically necessary dietary restrictions, as at this point, it's entirely likely that things are not finalized with the caterer anyway, so it would be easiest to accommodate your medical needs with the greatest advance notice.  Then, if you do end up being unable to attend due to having a flare up, it's also in the back of cousin's mind, "Oh, TealDragon mentioned medical problems when they responded to the invitation."

katycoo

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 01:39:24 AM »
What about vegetarians?

So you'd be told ahead of time if the meal was "alternate drop"?  I'd never heard of it before this thread so I am curious.

All the weddings I have attended have been either buffet or choose from menu options when RSVP-ing.

As Sammy said - its assumed here.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 08:19:51 AM »

No, you wouldn't be told ahead of time. You'd just get a plate set before you.

RSVP yes.  Call the cousin immediately and ask about the food plans with regards to your medically necessary dietary restrictions

Given that the wedding isn't until July, I wouldn't worry about the food issues until you get much closer--like 4 weeks out.

Then perhaps call and say, "Since my immune system isn't at its strongest, I'm not allowed to eat food from buffets. If you're having a buffet, is it possible to ask your caterer to set up a plate for me in the kitchen, before the buffet is set out?"

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 08:39:52 AM »
Thanks for the warning.  I've never heard of such a thing but at least I know now if I ever go to an Australian wedding.  I'm not a fan, though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:46:07 PM by RingTailedLemur »

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »
Agree with PPs to reply "yes" and verbally explain the situation at some point - that it's possible that your health might prohibit your attendance.  I understand that some HCs send invitations months ahead of time in order to avoid sending separate STDs, but I wonder why a caterer would possibly need to have the "final" numbers months in advance?

Re no meal being mentioned on the RSVP - it could still be a plated meal.  Buffets are most common at weddings here - however, the place where DS and his fiancee are planning for their wedding does have a plated-meal option.  The catch is - although they offer about six selections, everyone has to eat the same dish.  So there'd be no mention of it on the RSVP because there's no choice.